Carnival to change cabin categories - soon!

NCTribeFan

Just talked to my PVP about a possible price drop on my Fascination cruise. What was showing on the website was only $10 pp less than what I'd paid and he said we'd have to take into consideration the fuel surcharge increase from $5 to $9, so it wasn't a price drop.

While I had him on the phone, I asked about a Miracle cruise next year.

He said that in the very near future, and possibly even if I booked today, BL category on the Spirit-class ships would also include 7As. This won't impact other ship classes, as they don't have 7As.

Just a heads up to those who think 7As are excluded.

But what was REALLY interesting was this: on 8/18/08, Carnival is going to start reclassifying cabins by deck.

Meaning, they'll now be in line with other cruise lines and there will be mixed categories on various decks. Those coveted "central" cabins will be a higher category than the cabins in the bow. I'm guessing the aft non-wrap cabins will be reclassified and be more expensive as well, although I didn't specifically ask about that.

I believe he said Valor would be the first ship to implement this change along with a couple of others. He said he didn't know how quickly the rest of the fleet would be brought in line, but I'd have to guess that the Conquest class will be first.

So, if you're thinking about booking something soon, I'd go ahead and get it done before that midship cabin you're looking at is bumped up into a higher, more expensive category!

It makes more sense than having the price increase as you go higher on the ship. IMHO, at least.

Not all of us feel that higher = better location.

I figured this bit of news would create an outpouring of anger from the Carnival faithful!

I mean, this has the potential to increase the cost of your cruise quite a bit. I normally pick a deck midship, fairly low, to help ease the movement issues as well as to have a fairly-centrally located cabin. But especially to keep my costs down.

This change could either up my cruise fare and/or force me to book in a different location.

I prefer a midship cabin and don't really care how high I am on the ship so this could be interesting. I think the difficult part will be learning new categories. I guess we'll have to see what they come up with.

I agree. Its the same cabin. I like a mid-ship no higher than Empress

Just talked to my PVP about a possible price drop on my Fascination cruise. What was showing on the website was only $10 pp less than what I'd paid and he said we'd have to take into consideration the fuel surcharge increase from $5 to $9, so it wasn't a price drop.

While I had him on the phone, I asked about a Miracle cruise next year.

He said that in the very near future, and possibly even if I booked today, BL category on the Spirit-class ships would also include 7As. This won't impact other ship classes, as they don't have 7As.

Just a heads up to those who think 7As are excluded.

But what was REALLY interesting was this: on 8/18/08, Carnival is going to start reclassifying cabins by deck.

Meaning, they'll now be in line with other cruise lines and there will be mixed categories on various decks. Those coveted "central" cabins will be a higher category than the cabins in the bow. I'm guessing the aft non-wrap cabins will be reclassified and be more expensive as well, although I didn't specifically ask about that.

I believe he said Valor would be the first ship to implement this change along with a couple of others. He said he didn't know how quickly the rest of the fleet would be brought in line, but I'd have to guess that the Conquest class will be first.

So, if you're thinking about booking something soon, I'd go ahead and get it done before that midship cabin you're looking at is bumped up into a higher, more expensive category!

Interior Guarantees will start at 1a.

Ocean View gurantee will start at 5a.

Balcony guarantee will start at 7a.

If you don't want to run the risk of a potential bunk bed situation, you will have to pick your own room for an interior, which of course is a little bit more $$$ than what the current inside guarantees go for.

If you don't want to run the risk of a potential bunk bed situation, you will have to pick your own room for an interior, which of course is a little bit more $$$ than what the current inside guarantees go for.

What if you're booking 4 to a cabin? Will that still be allowed with inside guarantees? Obviously that would "guarantee" we wouldn't end up in a 1A...

Sorry for being ignorant, what is a 7A? We usually book 8A gty.

Like they caught onto the special 1As and turned them into 6Bs to rake in more money? lol yep, they keep finding ways to charge more.

Just like in our own jobs...none of us think we get paid what we think we are worth. We all want to make more.

Even after the changes, Carnival is still one of the best vacation values.

And they keep reading these threads to find out what we really like and really want, then price accordingly. Just like the threads on " how to smuggle booze onboard". They should be titled, "where should we look for your smuggled booze". If I were Mr Carnival, besides having a huge cabin on every ship for me to live in, alternating weeks, I would have someone constantly monitoring these boards to see what the guests covet as to adjust prices to maximize profit. I think we should start a thread on how overated balcony cabins are and how much ALL of us want inside staterooms at the front of the ship next to the laundry room. Woo hoo.

I do not think they would start the inside guarantee at a 1A because of the bunk beds. Very few couples would be happy with that.

But I think that's the point. If you want to ensure that you'll have the two beds that become a queen, you need to pay more for a 4A gty or pick your room.

I wonder if the single rate for 1As will continue to be 150% or if they'll increase it:(

Do you have a source for this "fact", or did the flying spaghetti monster reveal this to you in a golden book? ;)

Do you have a source for this "fact", or did the flying spaghetti monster reveal this to you in a golden book? ;)

I am not sure about when this change will take affect on other ships, but I had a BL gty on the Glory. My booking switched to the Dream after it took the Glory's place in 2010. They moved my booking over with no increase. When I was looking at the Deck plan, I saw that 7a is listed ABOVE the BL. 7a on the Dream is a cove balcony. Since I do not want a cove balcony, I switched to an assigned balcony wrap. I also see that the coveted aft cabins are not listed on the deck screen. They are at this time 8g, but you cannot book it because it is not on the booking screen. I am sure they are either changing that category OR repricing those cabins.

Archived