Shopping in Vancouver

Wirral Girlie

We will be in Vancouver for 5 days pre cruise from the 2nd September and I would like to buy various make up items such as Clinique, MAC, Bare Minerals and Dior.

Where is the best place for me to shop for make up?

Now I don't think this will be a question for Putterdude! It's probably more for BC Gal ! :D

Thanks

Kim

If you want a one-stop shop, go to The Bay downtown at Georgia and Granville. I know they have good kiosks for MAC, Clinique and Dior. I'm not familiar with Bare Minerals. However, you can also go to Robson Street and find individual stores such as Kiehls and tons of great clothes stores, too. http://vancouver.com/shopping/shopping_by_neighbourhood/robson/

Viv

There is a Sears store across the street from the Bay - both part of Pacific Center mall that has a good cosmetics department as does the London Drugs in the same complex.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Ok, for the record cosmetics are not really my bag but being a retired shopping centre guy I can't turn down a challange. From what I can find out "Bare Minerals" may only be available in Canada thru Sephora who are introducing stores into Canada but we don't seem to have one in Vancouver yet.

Ut, Great West Life would be very angry to learn the London Drugs is part of Pacific Centre...it is connected but is part of Vancouver Centre...I was a consultant to Vancouver Centre and did the initial lease up of the retail component way back in the dark ages.;)

For shopping at some high end stores check the area from Georgia up Burrard to Robson and west on Alberni to Thurlow.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I was hoping to be able to get the Bare Escentuals/ Minerals make up as it

is not that easy to find in the UK and its nearly twice the US price! I bought some in the US last year and just assumed I would find it in Canada too.

I'm sure I'll find lots of other goodies to spend my money on. :D

Kim

"cosmetics are not really my bag"

No play on words intended?

Yes you are right London Drugs is in a different but adjoining mall but most people wouldn't really know the difference. Didn't realize that Great West Life owned Vancouver Centre Mall

Enjoy Birch Bay

Cheers

Dennis

Are there any decent art and craft stores in Vancouver?:D

Thanks

There are a number of Michaels stores in the Vancover area but none in Vancouver proper. I will attach a list of their locations, the two closest stores to downtown Vancover would be the one in North Vancouver and the other in West Vancouver...both would be about a 25 min drive.

Sorry, I can't think of any other stores in the downtown area but others may know of some.

http://michaels.shoplocal.com/michaels/default.aspx?action=browsestorelocation&storeid=2415179&StartRow=1

There are a number of Michaels stores in the Vancover area but none in Vancouver proper. I will attach a list of their locations, the two closest stores to downtown Vancover would be the one in North Vancouver and the other in West Vancouver...both would be about a 25 min drive.

Sorry, I can't think of any other stores in the downtown area but others may know of some.

http://michaels.shoplocal.com/michaels/default.aspx?action=browsestorelocation&storeid=2415179&StartRow=1

Thanks for the information. We will search out the Michaels stores. My wife will be thrilled.

Do you mean stores selling arts + craft supplies (if so, PD is right on the money) or finished goods (ie artisan products)?

Yes we were thinking supplies. My wife is a crafter and likes to search out items to buy which are different to those sold in the UK.

Another good place to buy is Shoppers Drug Mart. They have branches all over Vancouver. I always seek out Smashbox products - an American brand but the bottles have a Northampton address on them(!) - which I've never been able to find in the UK.

You'll have a great time in Vancouver (my home town). Great time to go as well.

Another good place to buy is Shoppers Drug Mart. They have branches all over Vancouver. I always seek out Smashbox products - an American brand but the bottles have a Northampton address on them(!) - which I've never been able to find in the UK.

You'll have a great time in Vancouver (my home town). Great time to go as well.

Northampton is the next town to where I live, 10 miles north of us.

I am looking forward to visiting Vancouver. We intend to spend a week there before we cruise.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I was hoping to be able to get the Bare Escentuals/ Minerals make up as it

is not that easy to find in the UK and its nearly twice the US price! I bought some in the US last year and just assumed I would find it in Canada too.

I'm sure I'll find lots of other goodies to spend my money on. :D

Kim

Unfortunately you can't purchase Bare Escentuals here or at least I've not been able to find it. I use it myself and always stock up when I head down to the states. Vancouver is still waiting for it's Sephora store and once we get that, we'll be able to purchase Bare Escentuals locally. But who knows when that will happen. :confused:

We will be in Vancouver for 5 days pre cruise from the 2nd September and I would like to buy various make up items such as Clinique, MAC, Bare Minerals and Dior.

Now I don't think this will be a question for Putterdude! It's probably more for BC Gal ! :D

Holt-Renfrew at the corner of Granville and Dunsmuir is THE high end dept store in Vancouver.

Thanks

Kim

Well if you are going to be in town for 5 days and really want to do some shopping it may be cheaper to drive down to Washington state for the day. I think residents of BC have a tradition of sometimes shopping in Washington for deals when the exchange rate is favorable. Note that Washington has no sales tax and my belief is that prices in the US are generally lower than that in Canada.

Just an idea. Maybe our BC posters can confirm whether or not this is a valid option.

Sales tax in Washington is 8.5%. In addition, there will probably be other taxes to bring the articles into Canada. (not sure how that works if you are from the UK) The closest Sephora to Vancouver is in Alderwood north of Seattle, which is about a two hour drive from the border. Yesterday I spent one hour northbound coming back into Canada, and the lines were worse at other crossings.

I think Vancouver has enough shops to keep most people happy!

Viv

Archived