United Economy Plus

NHBob

I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, so thought I'd pass it on. Apologies if it is old news.

I have just discovered that for an extra charge I can upgrade my economy booking to Economy Plus, even though I am traveling on an "XY" (frequent flier award) ticket. Costs start at $14 for short flights and go up from there depending on length of flight.

Decided that it might be worth the $69 fee for extra leg room on my IAD-LHR flight in two weeks. Will post my impression of whether it is worth it when I get home end of September.

We used this from SJU to Dulles in Oct...it was worth it if you can get in. It's kinda like a club, but if there are empty seats they offer them first come first served.

Steve

I was able to get in OK, even though my flight is in 2 weeks. The thing I found a little surprising is that they'd let me add it to a free ticket.

Glad to hear from previous posters that it's worth it.

Bob

Decided that it might be worth the $69 fee for extra leg room on my IAD-LHR flight in two weeks. Will post my impression of whether it is worth it when I get home end of September.

It is worth it on long hauls.

We used it from LosAngeles/Beijing; then Bangkok/Tokyo/LosAngeles.

We used this from SJU to Dulles in Oct...it was worth it if you can get in. It's kinda like a club, but if there are empty seats they offer them first come first served.

Steve

E+ is a perk offered to elite members of Mileage Plus for free. They've always made it available when E- (regular coach) is full to non-elites with no charge. Before I had any status, I just used to ask the GA if they would seat me there, and often they would at no cost.

On those long flights, even that small bit of extra room makes a big difference. I would pay that $39 fee with no hesitation!

I have used it now for a few years for domestic and international travel and I love it. I now pay the yearly fee as it was costing more to upgrade to it each trip...well worth it.:D Just my 2 cents for the day.

It's kinda like a club, but if there are empty seats they offer them first come first served.

Not any more. As of the beginning of the month you can buy up into E+ ahead of time without being Mileage Plus elite or having Economy Plus Access.

You used to have to sit it out until OLCI opened.

Not any more. As of the beginning of the month you can buy up into E+ ahead of time without being Mileage Plus elite or having Economy Plus Access.

You used to have to sit it out until OLCI opened.

You are correct:)

Upgraded, yesterday, for our flight LAX/SYD, in December, for $ 149.00 each. Well worth it.

The Coach Seats that we had were less than desireable.

You are correct:)

Upgraded, yesterday, for our flight LAX/SYD, in December, for $ 149.00 each. Well worth it.

The Coach Seats that we had were less than desireable.

You could have purchased E+ access for an entire year for yourself and one guest for a total of $349.00.

Agent told me that I could purchase the Yearly Upgrade; however, additional United Flights are not in our plans.

We fly United LAX/SYD; then, Air New Zealand AKL/LAX

Saved a few $

P.S. -- fbgd -- Thank you for the Heads Up on purchasing the Upgrade.

Thought that I had to wait til Web Check In

Just discovered that as of July 4th United moved to Heathrow Terminal 1. Press release follows:

United relocates to Terminal 1 at London Heathrow

Enhanced experiences. Faster connections. All with one move.

On July 4, 2008, United customers traveling through London Heathrow will appreciate a greatly enhanced airport experience in the newly refurbished Terminal 1.

The significant investment in modernizing the terminal’s facilities—United’s new home—will provide our guests with a more convenient and comfortable way through the airport.

• Enjoy shorter walking distances from curbside to check-in to the departure gates.
  • Color-coded directional signage, 22 check-in desks and 14 self-service kiosks will all help to speed up the overall check-in process.
  • Our Global ServicesSM and United First® guests will have their own exclusive area, as well as access to Fast Track security.
  • A Star Alliance Departure Lounge, with distinct first- and business-class areas, will provide a quiet retreat where travelers can relax or work.
    • Both areas will feature comfortable, private seating, complimentary food and beverages, as well as shower facilities and the latest business technology, including Wi-Fi internet access.
    • This lounge facility will also be open to our Red Carpet Club® members.

[*]An Arrivals Lounge, available to United, bmi and South African Airways customers, will offer the same amenities as the Departure Lounge.

[*]United customers will now be able to go directly to their gates, which will be brighter and more spacious. Once passing through a secondary security screening, customers will also have access to refreshment vendors and restrooms—features that were not available at the previous terminal.

The Star Alliance Connection

• Customers will be able to make connections within 60 minutes to Air New Zealand, Asiana Airlines, bmi, Lot Polish Airlines and South African Airways, who will also operate out of Terminal 1. A minimum connection time of 90 minutes will apply for connections between Terminal 1 and all other terminals at Heathrow.

• By the end of 2008, it is expected that Austrian Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Lufthansa, SWISS and TAP Portugal will make the move to Terminal 1, reducing connection times even further.

• In the longer term, Air Canada, Air China, ANA, Blue1, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways and Turkish Airlines are also expected to move under the same roof at London Heathrow.

May be wishful thinking, but to anybody who has experienced the early-morning chaos of Terminal 3, it at least sounds good. With LHR's history of unfulfilled promises I'll wait to see if it really is an improvement when I arrive there on 9/1; will post something when I get home end of September.

Bob

Archived