Would You Like To See Princess add more ships to the Caribbean?

Sandytoes

Vote for your choice  

260 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your choice

• Like to see the CB change port itinerary during July & August?
    • Add more ships to Caribbean - all year round out of NY?
    • Add more Eastern ports to cruise out of during the summer months?
    • Keep the sailings just the way they are?

It's all about money.

People who sail in the Caribbean generally pay far less for passage and spend far less when they get onboard.

The Cruise Lines can't afford those people right now.

They are moving ships to more profitable areas.

But good news. Cruising is cyclical.

With fewer beds available in the Caribbean, ticket prices are forced upward by supply and demand economics. Discount cruisers are priced out.

When the higher prices stabilize and a more affluent clientele is looking to cruise the Caribbean again, the ships will return.

Has no relationship to spending on ships.

Good answer!!!!

It's all about money.

People who sail in the Caribbean generally pay far less for passage and spend far less when they get onboard.

Really?

You should look at by cruise bill --- :eek:...:o

The Cruise Lines can't afford those people right now.

Huh??? :confused:

They are moving ships to more profitable areas.

But good news. Cruising is cyclical.

With fewer beds available in the Caribbean, ticket prices are forced upward by supply and demand economics. Discount cruisers are priced out.

When the higher prices stabilize and a more affluent clientele is looking to cruise the Caribbean again, the ships will return.

They never left... Just fewer!

We would just like to have more ships sail out of the USA to destinations that interest all of us, that fit our budget, not just for high and mighty....:rolleyes:

As for the more affluent clientele they are the ones who complained when Princess started nickel and diming everything....:rolleyes:

When Princess left Galveston, newspaper reports attributed it to several factors (do not know how many of these are the true reasons):

a) High port fees

b) Low prices required to fill up the ship -- Even more limited places to go from Galveston on a seven day cruise than out of south Florida. With three cruise lines sailing from Galveston to the same places, price was often the determining factor on which cruise line one sailed on.

c) Little repeat business -- Just how many times does one want to go to Cozumel?

and I would add.....

d) Who wants to be at the Cayman Islands with 8 other ships.

They never left... Just fewer!

The Caribbean is already overcrowded. Six, Seven, Eight 2400+ pass ships in a port at one time is way more than I would care to have. So what are the cruise line's options... head to smaller / dinkier islands with nothing to do but go to the beach (which I do enjoy).

We would just like to have more ships sail out of the USA to destinations that interest all of us, that fit our budget, not just for high and mighty....:rolleyes:

Just like one of your links cited, the ships are cutting back sailing distance (ie dropping Aruba... which is no loss). So why would they want to sail their ships farther distances (for instance Balt, Philly, etc) to the Caribbean.

As for the more affluent clientele they are the ones who complained when Princess started nickel and diming everything....:rolleyes:

I consider myself somewhat affluent.......And I could care less about nickel diming because I still have a choice to pay or not pay. Why would affluent clientele be the complainers if they can afford it. :confused: Makes no sense nor is there any evidence. From what I see on these boards it is the "budget" cruisers complaining.

It is all what we choose to spend our cruise dollars on. I notice you say Europe is "Way out of your league" and also note in another post "You should look at by cruise bill". So it seems your choice is spend more on board and less on your cruise / air fares. Mine is probably just the opposite of yours.

If someone cannot afford the total cost... flights, extra stays, etc......then those are the penny pinching cruisers the lines do not care about loosing.

Man! We've been on both local and out-of-country cruises. Just because I went on a local cruise doesn't make me a penny pincher! It means I might go on an extra cruise I wouldn't have, or have more to spend on-board the "local".

The Caribbean is already overcrowded. Six, Seven, Eight 2400+ pass ships in a port at one time is way more than I would care to have. ..

And Alaska isn't? :rolleyes:

There are over 50 cruise ships sailing Alaska.

You don't think that's a crowd?

And Alaska isn't? :rolleyes:

There are over 50 cruise ships sailing Alaska.

You don't think that's a crowd?

Yup.... sure do..... ........ But this is a threat on Princess adding more ships in the Caribbean. :rolleyes: :D So that is why I didn't mention Alaska. ;)

Not a chance I would want to see that. I want to see Princess and the other cruise lines remember that North America has a Pacific Coast and it's not just for cruises to AK. We have done two cruises to AK and, believe me, AK has seen the last of us. Cold and wet both times.

We would like to know why there is only one line (HAL) currently offering a winter Mexican Riviera/Baja cruise that is longer than seven days. If we are going to travel to San Diego or LA to pick up a cruise it has to be longer than seven days to make it worth while. Celebrity used to offer 10 and 11 day west coast Mexican cruises (we did it 3 times) and they were great but beginning last year they cut them out. I have no idea why but I suppose it was a business decision. Sad.

Please! More west coast Mexican 10 - 12 day winter cruises!

Thanks, Princesscruiser.

But, I just read ALL 16 of your posts, and I think you're up late trying to cause havoc on these boards with rampant shoot-from-the-hip misinformation.

It looks like you're aiming to have some fun tonight on these boards; but, there are some fine folks here who might actually take you seriously and be misled by your mischief.

Nighty-night now.

I'm happy that Princess continues the summer sailings out of New York, but I would love for them to change the itinerary. It's been exactly the same since the Crown started sailing that route two years ago and looks to be the same next year as well.

I'm happy that Princess continues the summer sailings out of New York, but I would love for them to change the itinerary. It's been exactly the same since the Crown started sailing that route two years ago and looks to be the same next year as well.

Therein lies the conundrum. Where else are they going to sail to. :confused: In seven or ten days a ship can only get so far, and get back in time.... stopping in a very limited number of ports that are reachable.

So for all those who want to sail from US Eastern and Western home ports..... there is not a lot of availability nor variety for seven or ten day cruises in my opinion.

Hi MoonPet,

Years ago passengers were able to choose between itineraries that ran from the Western, Eastern and Southern islands.

Now Princess has one. :rolleyes:

Having only one ship, Princess is forcing those who enjoy sailing to the the Caribbean, to look at other lines. :cool:

Hopefully, when the new sailing dates come out, Princess will change the itinerary for those who enjoy sailing out of NY.

Enabling repeat cruisers to enjoy variety of scenery, the sights, and sounds of the various cultures in the Caribbean.

Agree!

I agree, I wish Princess would throw in an alternate itinerary every once in a while...like adding a stop or two at rarely-visited ports along the east coast such as Savannah, which would be perfectly legal (AFAIK) as long as the ship was also visiting foreign ports during the cruise.

My guess is that travelers' reluctance to pay for higher air travel costs to some of the more exotic locations will make summer cruises from the east and west coasts more attractive.

No!!!!! to leaving from New York. Keep Ft. Lauderdale but change the ports. They have the exact same itineraries in 2009 and 2010. We want to get out of the cold weather here in the winter but give us some new destinations!

I agree!!

Im dreaming and stretching it here, but id love to see Bermuda sailings from Boston. NCL does it a lot during the summer, but im not an NCL fan, especially the older ship they have sailing out of Boston right now. I would be on the first ship out, thats for sure!

I'd be there too!

It might do well to have 10, 11, 12 day cruises so they can sail to the Southern Caribben and even the Panama Canal (maybe?).. Cruising out of NY beats having to FLY somplace to get a ship.. It's better to spend a day or two on a ship rather than at an airport and airplane.. Just a thought !!

The problem with scheduling cruises longer than 7 - 10 days is that they are more expensive and I think Princess would have a hard time filling the ship on every sailing. We see posts all the time by people who can't afford to get passports and/or insurance which means that an additional $250 - 500/pp is a deal-breaker.

I totally agree.

I rather drive to the cruise terminal, park my car, and hop on the ship

rather than deal with the all the hassles of an airport terminal.

It might do well to have 10, 11, 12 day cruises so they can sail to the Southern Caribben and even the Panama Canal (maybe?).. Cruising out of NY beats having to FLY somplace to get a ship.. It's better to spend a day or two on a ship rather than at an airport and airplane.. Just a thought !!

~~~~~

I don't think Princess or any other cruise line would have a hard time filling ships that sail to different Caribbean ports of call.

As time goes by, I do think the Caribbean Princess will ( hard time filling the ship) if they keep the same itinerary.

The problem with scheduling cruises longer than 7 - 10 days is that they are more expensive and I think Princess would have a hard time filling the ship on every sailing. We see posts all the time by people who can't afford to get passports and/or insurance which means that an additional $250 - 500/pp is a deal-breaker.

I'd like to see Princess add more ships to the Caribbean. If they want to add slowly, alternate Eastern/Western one year with Southern the other year. I teach and summer is about the only time I can cruise.

I agree with what you say Pam. I can see where they might not fill up the ship if they consistently did 7-10+ day cruises from the same port. But, they could do alternate sailings.

Carnival just announced that they are moving the Triumph to New Orleans. They are going to alternate the Triumph, which includes a 4 day, 5 day and a 7 day. I don't know why it couldn't be done out of NY or any other port the same way with maybe a 7 day, 10 day, or 12 day or even a 5 day. Just mix it up with different ports for the longer sailings. It would be a great change and they wouldn't have to be concerned about not filling up the longer cruises every 10 days or so.

They are also changing the Conquest cruises out of Galveston, which usually go to Cayman, Jamaica and Cozumel. They will now be doing one cruise a month (same ship) to Key West, and two stops in the Bahamas. People have been complaining about gulf coast cruises for a long time so they are finally making some changes. People are scrambling to book this new itinerary. The prices are higher because it's new and "in demand". I realize I'm talking about a Carnival ship, but couldn't Princess do the same?

As you know they took Princess out of Galveston. Have heard several rumors as to why this happened, but not sure of the real reason. Why not put a Princess ship in Galveston to do a western caribbean for a month or two, then switch over to a Florida port to do an eastern for a couple months. I realize that would be adding a few re-positioning cruises in the line-up, but I don't think people would be opposed to taking a one way flight to get back to their home port.

But, like I said before,,,,,what do I know.:confused: I'm just enjoying this thread. I think it's very interesting and thought provoking. :)

The problem with scheduling cruises longer than 7 - 10 days is that they are more expensive and I think Princess would have a hard time filling the ship on every sailing. .

Looks like they are going to try in 2009. They have lots of 10 and 14 day'ers leaving out of Fort Lauderdale

We see posts all the time by people who can't afford to get passports and/or insurance which means that an additional $250 - 500/pp is a deal-breaker.

Unfortunately.......These are not the folks the lines anxiously want to attract. If $250 is a deal breaker then I doubt they will dumping a bunch of money onboard.

Archived