Mediterranean excursions

lecobra70

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting, but I've been reading cruisecritic boards for years - thanks for all of the great advice! I posted this question in the Ports of Call section, but got no responses. The HAL boards seem to have really helpful people on them, so I thought I might try here.

Does anyone have any recommendations for renting cars in Argostoli, Santorini and Corfu? We will be on the Zuiderdam this October and will be stopping in each city. There will be 4 adults and we generally like to do things on our own, as opposed to group tours.

Here are the considerations:

1. Corfu - we will be there 8am-6pm, with another ship there from 12:30-8pm. Is it worth it to rent a car for the day and tour the island?

2. Argostoli - we will be there from 7am-3pm, no other ships will be there that day. I thought we might just get off the boat and walk around, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would much appreciate them.

3. Santorini - we will be there 12pm-11pm. (Only one other boat there in the morning and leaving by 1pm, so there shouldn't be too many people other than our ship) I was thinking of renting a car and heading to Oia and touring the island. Does this make sense or would taking the bus/taxi be more feasible?

Also, is it easy to drive around Greece and is there available parking at sites, beaches, etc.? Any advice is greatly appreciated! I am so excited for this trip and am making the plans for my parents, my brother and I, and I want to try to plan ahead as much as possible.

Thank you in advance!

We were on Noordam two weeks ago and went to Santorini and Corfu. Another couple rented on both and we went with them on Santorini and went all over the Island. If HAL is offering the "Albanion Adventure" from Corfu to Butrinct, well it was fantastic and I highly recommend the tour. When we got back to Corfu we even got on another tour bus and had a tour of Corfu town including walking tour and time to shop. The lunch in Sarande was good and fabulous location on the water and chicken good.

We rented their "class C" (got a Hyundai) for the day, it was about $75 American. We reserved ahead of time, and used a credit card. No need for an international drivers' license, US-issued is fine. Just bring proof of insurance.

I should add that "Grandma" isn't always on the premises, I think we lucked out. She happened to be there, saw that we'd bought wine in Oia, and offered some from her husband's winery.

Archived