Anyone notice on the Carnival forum . . .

mcfam5

. . . the threads popping up lately that are anti-kids?!? I know, it happens from time to time, but it makes me want to scream!!! :eek:

I realize kids are not for everyone and no one should have to deal with an unruly child that is not their own. So, for the most part, I just overlook these posts as someone's opinion. But earlier this week a post about the hot tub included several people giving tips (in jest, I hope) about how to keep the kids out and they included:

~ Offering kids beer so their parents take them out :o

~ Smashing the child's mask/googles on their face :confused:

~ Striking up a conversation in the child's presence about their favorite sexual position :eek:

On the latest thread, someone says the high pitch noise of children makes him want to punch them.

I am sorry but some things are not funny, they are SCARY!

. . . the threads popping up lately that are anti-kids?!? I know, it happens from time to time, but it makes me want to scream!!! :eek:

I realize kids are not for everyone and no one should have to deal with an unruly child that is not their own. So, for the most part, I just overlook these posts as someone's opinion. But earlier this week a post about the hot tub included several people giving tips (in jest, I hope) about how to keep the kids out and they included:

~ Striking up a conversation in the child's presence about their favorite sexual position :eek:

On the latest thread, someone says the high pitch noise of children makes him want to punch them.

I am sorry but some things are not funny, they are SCARY!

The best advice I could offer is to use the little triangle report.gif in the upper right corner of posts that you feel are in violation of the community guidelines.

The moderators will review the message and take action as they feel is appropriate.

Charlie

I read the post you are referring to, and first I want to assure you I would never follow any of the suggestions in that post for dealing with kids in hot tubs. I love children, and I enjoy being around them. At the same time, I think we all should follow posted rules, use common sense and show consideration for others. Those tips were a response to other posts about children in adults-only hot tubs. One parent had commented that since they paid for their child to cruise, the child could use the hot tubs even if it were posted "adults only". Others insisted that their child sat quietly and never bothered adults in hot tubs, their child stayed only a few minutes, they made the child get out if the hot tub became crowded, etc. Too many people try to justify breaking rules by insisting it is their vacation, the wishes of their children are more important than the comfort of other people, and the excuse that since they paid for their child to cruise, the child can take advantage of everything on the ship. I have never read a response to adults who ask if they should be able to use the kids' clubs, kids' pool and participate in the children's activities since they also paid for their cruise. The tips you refer to as scary should not worry you if you don't let your children use adult-only hot tubs or other adult-only areas. Few people actually would do the things suggested in those tips, and I think they simply are pointing out things that could possibly happen when parents break rules and allow their children to be where they should not be. Even people who don't like being with children rarely want to harm them, but when you have a drunk adult in an adult-only hot tub who is being annoyed by children who should not be there, there is a possibility that a child could be harmed.

I read the post you are referring to, and first I want to assure you I would never follow any of the suggestions in that post for dealing with kids in hot tubs. I love children, and I enjoy being around them. At the same time, I think we all should follow posted rules, use common sense and show consideration for others. Those tips were a response to other posts about children in adults-only hot tubs. One parent had commented that since they paid for their child to cruise, the child could use the hot tubs even if it were posted "adults only". Others insisted that their child sat quietly and never bothered adults in hot tubs, their child stayed only a few minutes, they made the child get out if the hot tub became crowded, etc. Too many people try to justify breaking rules by insisting it is their vacation, the wishes of their children are more important than the comfort of other people, and the excuse that since they paid for their child to cruise, the child can take advantage of everything on the ship. I have never read a response to adults who ask if they should be able to use the kids' clubs, kids' pool and participate in the children's activities since they also paid for their cruise. The tips you refer to as scary should not worry you if you don't let your children use adult-only hot tubs or other adult-only areas. Few people actually would do the things suggested in those tips, and I think they simply are pointing out things that could possibly happen when parents break rules and allow their children to be where they should not be. Even people who don't like being with children rarely want to harm them, but when you have a drunk adult in an adult-only hot tub who is being annoyed by children who should not be there, there is a possibility that a child could be harmed.

I just want to say upfront, I did not take your post as negative or trying to start an arguement, so please don't take mine as either of those things. I am just trying to clearly express my feelings on the matter (hence the bolding, coloring of fonts, etc. ~ I use my hands when I talk so this is the closest to that I can come! :p ). Again, I am not mad just SURPRISED by the whole subject . . .

I, too, followed that thread closely. It was like a train wreck I could'nt avert my eyes from. ;) The mother in question said, SEVERAL times, that she was NOT referring to her kids being in an adult only hot tub. It seemed most of the subsequent posters didn't want to acknowledge that and just kept going in the other direction. The poster who originally started the thread (stating 'who else thinks kids should not be allowed in the hot tubs?'), clearly stated that kids should not be allowed in ANY HOT TUB.

I posted my thoughts at length in that thread so I won't rehash them ALL here ~ but I will say: if that mother wanted to be with her kids in one of the regular hot tubs (which she said she was) then it is not the business of fellow passengers. She was not breaking the rules. She even came back several times to try and point that out, but to no avail.

Now, the things I highlighted in your response . . .

~ Just because someone makes an irresponsible parenting decision in allowing their child to be in an adult-only hot tub does not make it normal, in my opinion, for someone to come up with a response suggesting talking about inappropriate things in front of kids. One poster actually said 'yeah, let their parents explain to them what 69 means!' I am sorry, but that it perverse ~ joking or not! I would also add, that I am by no means a perfect parent and I would hope that adults would not do/say something harmful to my child becase of MY stupid decision. I mean these are little kids we are talking about!!!!

~ As far as the "few" and "rarely do people want to harm children" I am thankful for that fact. But, because their are those people who do want to harm children ~ that is exactly why I think that line of joking is uncalled for, inappropriate, deviant and disgusting.

I thank you for your response and the fact that you have children's best interest in mind. :) God bless.

I have seen it lately too but I just ignore it. There are always those who dont agree with having children on a cruise. However, the cruise lines are making the most money off families that is why they are gearing their ships towards children...bigger playrooms, adding waterparks and kids areas, updating teen rooms, adding carousels and other kids friendly attractions. When was the last time you saw the cruise lines expanding the adult only areas? They are adding some to ships that dont have them but arent expanding them or putting any additional money in them. If adult only cruises were profitable they would have them but they arent. I would say to those who are anti-kids to cruise either during school times or on lines not as popular with families, certainly not Disney, RCCL, Carnival, NCL as you will find plenty of children on every sailing. I do find it odd though that you never hear...gosh I wish there were kid free flights, or kid free hotels. People just expect children to be on land based vacations but for some reason feel differently when it comes to cruises.

Perhaps we should have a family only cruise *this would of course include anyone who likes family of ALL ages* - give me hundreds of kids anyday over that drunken ____ in the hottub making an ___ out of himself!:p Oh and kids generally listen better than that guy does!

I don't read the Carnival board so I missed this one.

Keep in mind that often people post things that they would never dream of doing in reality, and also that posting can be a way to vent frustration.

The rudest person I have ever encountered on a cruise was not a child, but an older man who took elbowed me in the back, quite strongly, as I was trying to make my way back to my cabin to get my son. He was afraid I was "cutting" in front of the line to get off the ship.

Take it all with a grain of salt.

I just want to say upfront, I did not take your post as negative or trying to start an arguement, so please don't take mine as either of those things. I am just trying to clearly express my feelings on the matter (hence the bolding, coloring of fonts, etc. ~ I use my hands when I talk so this is the closest to that I can come! :p ). Again, I am not mad just SURPRISED by the whole subject . . .

I, too, followed that thread closely. It was like a train wreck I could'nt avert my eyes from. ;) The mother in question said, SEVERAL times, that she was NOT referring to her kids being in an adult only hot tub. It seemed most of the subsequent posters didn't want to acknowledge that and just kept going in the other direction. The poster who originally started the thread (stating 'who else thinks kids should not be allowed in the hot tubs?'), clearly stated that kids should not be allowed in ANY HOT TUB.

I posted my thoughts at length in that thread so I won't rehash them ALL here ~ but I will say: if that mother wanted to be with her kids in one of the regular hot tubs (which she said she was) then it is not the business of fellow passengers. She was not breaking the rules. She even came back several times to try and point that out, but to no avail.

~ Just because someone makes an irresponsible parenting decision in allowing their child to be in an adult-only hot tub does not make it normal, in my opinion, for someone to come up with a response suggesting talking about inappropriate things in front of kids. One poster actually said 'yeah, let their parents explain to them what 69 means!' I am sorry, but that it perverse ~ joking or not! I would also add, that I am by no means a perfect parent and I would hope that adults would not do/say something harmful to my child becase of MY stupid decision. I mean these are little kids we are talking about!!!!

~ As far as the "few" and "rarely do people want to harm children" I am thankful for that fact. But, because their are those people who do want to harm children ~ that is exactly why I think that line of joking is uncalled for, inappropriate, deviant and disgusting.

I thank you for your response and the fact that you have children's best interest in mind. :) God bless.

That's why I said I thought the people posting tips on how to deal with kids in hot tubs were responding to "other posts". I realize that the OP was not breaking rules and was not allowing her child to be in an adult-only hot tub. When people respond to a post, especially one that becomes as heated as children in hot tubs, the original post often becomes sidetracked so that some of the responses are directed at other post, not the OP. I definitely have children's best interest at heart. I've been a teacher for 38 years.

Take into consideration that it's the end of the summer--everyone is sick to death of even their OWN kids!

As far as the things that folks will talk about in front of kids...there's just no telling what folks will do! When people are on an "adult" vacation (even if there are kids (not theirs) around, they tend to forget there ARE kids! That's why it's important to keep track of your children--it's up to the parent to keep them from seeing/hearing inappropriate things! It's NOT up to the strangers to censor themselves when they're not even SEEING the children! (although it would be nice if they would!)

. . . When people are on an "adult" vacation (even if there are kids (not theirs) around, they tend to forget there ARE kids! . . . seeing/hearing inappropriate things! It's NOT up to the strangers to censor themselves . . .

I'm 48. As a middle-aged adult, I don't want to hear about anyone's "favorite sexual position" or running commentaries about other pax's boobs, I don't feel I need to be subjected to other people's "over the top" public displays of affection, and I don't want to have to deal with loud drunks getting sick in the "adult only" hot tubs.

Some of these pax DO need to censor themselves not because of the presence of anyone's kids but because of simple consideration of other people (of any age).

i saw the thread that is "no kids cruise" on carnival right now..and have responded a few times... its funny that they wanted a 25 and older..I am not even 25....so that goes to show you their perception on age...

but I agree I am sure they are showing up more b/c of just ending summer vacation...and I am sure all these people just went on a cruise during the peak season...

I'm 48. As a middle-aged adult, I don't want to hear about anyone's "favorite sexual position" or running commentaries about other pax's boobs, I don't feel I need to be subjected to other people's "over the top" public displays of affection, and I don't want to have to deal with loud drunks getting sick in the "adult only" hot tubs.

Some of these pax DO need to censor themselves not because of the presence of anyone's kids but because of simple consideration of other people (of any age).

I am so completely with you on this, Onessa!! Unfortunately, while I wish ALL adults would care about how their behaviour affects others and teach their children the same, it's just not the way it is. I actually agree with the basic idea that Susan123 was making as well - "if you don't let your children use adult-only hot tubs or other adult-only areas..." This doesn't mean that I don't also agree with Mcfam5 about my child not suffering for my poor choices... but the fact is that if you allow your children to enter adults only areas, you ARE putting them at risk of seeing or hearing things that you may not want them to, not to mention encountering people you'd rather keep them away from. At the very least, the obnoxious drunk we refer to so often on this board is the last person I want my daughter to encounter.

Something else to keep in mind, beyond people actually trying to offend kids or their parents to convince them to leave an area they shouldn't be in in the first place, is that some 'adults' (and I use that term loosely) actually think it's funny to be crude around children. Like I said, I am in full agreement with Onessa regarding obscene language, overt sexual behaviour or conversation, or just generally offensive behaviour. I don't want to see it any more than I want my child exposed to it, but I think it would be foolish of me to believe we would never encounter it - even in family areas (though that's not as likely as in adults only areas).

As has been mentioned here, in this thread and so many like it, there will always be 'kid haters', and they will always have unreasonable outlooks and attitudes. All we can do is ensure our children are following the rules and being respectful of others. :)

I do wish people in general would have consideration and manners when they speak. Ever meet someone for the first time and every other word is "f"??

With that being said, people tend to get 'guts' when they are on forums! They tend to forget that behind all these hidden screen names are real life people with feelings.

I couldn't get through the whole post because when I got to the guy who feels like "punching" a kid I could see where the post would go. Being new to cruise critic (not new to cruising) it does not represent the cruise experience. CC has a ton of good info and it also has a lot of opinions:rolleyes: (this one included!!):D

I really feel bad for first time cruisers! If I believed everything I read on some forums I don't think I would have taken my first cruise! I came here to research for my first Carnival trip! It was nothing like what the 'majority' of cc told me it would be like.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I love cruising! There is not other vacation like it! I would hope that the majority of people that post on these threads love cruising, too! Take the 'opinions' and 'experiences' of genuine cruisers and make a decision that will work for you and your family! The rest of it is just plain 'ego', so easily ignored!

;)

Perhaps we should have a family only cruise *this would of course include anyone who likes family of ALL ages* - give me hundreds of kids anyday over that drunken ____ in the hottub making an ___ out of himself!:p Oh and kids generally listen better than that guy does!

I sure agree with you on this.

Nothing worse than a loud mouth drunk, with filthy language coming from his or her mouth each time they open it.

Family cruise only sounds great to me...

WOW and I missed all of the fun? :eek: ;)

I haven't been on the Carnival boards for a while. But anyone sailing on Carnival better prepare themselves for cruising with kids, period.

Of course, after being on Sensation, those kids there NEEDED a little discipline. Kids gone wild. :eek: And you know me, if I am saying the kids were BAD then they were REALLY bad...lol.

As a person without kids, but also a person who has never been in a hot tub on a cruise, honest I can not believe any one would post even in a kidding manner about mean things to do to children. It is not the kids fault.

Young people are a part of cruising. What does throw me, is how some that are not even teens yet are just let to go their own way. My mom and I met a deligtful young man about nine in the bar of all places. He liked to visit with us and the bar tender did magic tricks. It was early afternoon. Fortunately we were drinking sodas, but had to wonder where his parents were. I think the bar tender thought he was with us. Really chatty and funny young man. But we then felt we had to worry about him the whole trip.

We are getting ready to hit the road on our way to our cruise aboard the CCL Holiday. We are praying that TS Faye :eek: does not affect our travel plans!

I will be bringing the laptop, so I might check in from time to time. (I made sure all the hotels had wi-fi!!!);)

I MEANT TO POST THIS ON THE MAIN PAGE AS IT'S OWN THREAD!!!!!

I just returned from a 5-day cruise on Carnival Victory. Yes, there were lots of kids in the hot tubs - but I didn't see any in the adult-only tub. With an occasional exception, I thought the kids were rather well behaved. (And yes, I bring my 8 YO in the hot tub with me. He has eczema and has trouble with the regular pools.) I think the vast majority of adults who cruise on a line like Carnival "in season" know to expect kids to be around. They also have a right to expect those kids to behave themselves.

I met a couple by one of the pools (we spied a vacant deck chair at the same time and agreed to share:)), and we ended up talking about bringing kids on cruises. They want to bring their granddaughter on a cruise, and asked me what I thought was a good age. They also got along fine with the kids in the hot tub. I think there is certainly a vocal minority out there that object to kids on cruises, but there are lots of options out there to minimize the number of kids you encounter.

I just returned from a 5-day cruise on Carnival Victory. Yes, there were lots of kids in the hot tubs - but I didn't see any in the adult-only tub. With an occasional exception, I thought the kids were rather well behaved. (And yes, I bring my 8 YO in the hot tub with me. He has eczema and has trouble with the regular pools.) I think the vast majority of adults who cruise on a line like Carnival "in season" know to expect kids to be around. They also have a right to expect those kids to behave themselves.

I met a couple by one of the pools (we spied a vacant deck chair at the same time and agreed to share:)), and we ended up talking about bringing kids on cruises. They want to bring their granddaughter on a cruise, and asked me what I thought was a good age. They also got along fine with the kids in the hot tub. I think there is certainly a vocal minority out there that object to kids on cruises, but there are lots of options out there to minimize the number of kids you encounter.

If you read enough threads you'll see that there is a vocal minority opposed to anything. Most have the mind set that "it's my cruise and I'm entitled". Everybody else is a misinformed whiner:D

If you read enough threads you'll see that there is a vocal minority opposed to anything. Most have the mind set that "it's my cruise and I'm entitled". Everybody else is a misinformed whiner:D
Yes, I'm new here, but noticed that already. I was getting a little worried reading so many anti-child posts on the Carnival board as well, but then I remembered that I've seen the same vitriol spewed on other travel websites. Thankfully, in actuality, the kids are never as ill-behaved as they claim, and the vocal minority must be much quieter in person, because I never notice them. :)

Have a great trip, mcfam! I hope Fay stays out of your way!

I try very hard to understand that just like adults there are always childrena nd families that think the rules apply to everyone but them and I give these folks the benefit of the doubt and figure they had a bad ecperience but mostly I just feel sorry for them because they are missing out on the amazing experience of seeing the world thru the eyes of a child, there is nothing like the wonder on my 3 year olds face as she experiences new things

But earlier this week a post about the hot tub included several people giving tips (in jest, I hope) about how to keep the kids out and they included:

......that wouldn't work.....the kids would probably hang around for the sex stuff......:rolleyes:

If you want to get rid of kids........start talking about politics and history....;)

Mcfam5,

I am glad that you at least understood what I was saying. I was the mother that made the comment that my kids should be allowed to be in the hot tub and that they paid the same fare. I was certainly not referring to the adult only hot tubs but they kept responding to my comments as if I was referring to adult only. I don't know what happened to that post. It just kind of disappeared. It really did get out of hand.

I believe they are saying things out of frustration that of course they would never do.

We had a cabin down the hallway from us on the Ecstasy 3 day cruise to nowhere that had a one year old that was SCREAMING at the top of their lungs every time we saw them. This child was screaming when they boarded....every time we were walking by the cabin....every time we saw (or should I say heard) them on Lido.

I can not imagine how the folks in cabins next to theirs tolerated this. Thank goodness our cabin was far enough away not to hear it with our door closed.

We eat early and so did they....but we lucked out...they were in the other dining room at the Atrium. We would "hear" them lined up for dinner (as hubby got his sushi before dinner). I can't imagine trying to enjoy a nice dinner with that!

Unfortunately, parents who are responsible and raise well behaved children will pay the price for those who do not.

......that wouldn't work.....the kids would probably hang around for the sex stuff......:rolleyes:

If you want to get rid of kids........start talking about politics and history....;)

Or Jesus!!! :eek:

Archived