Southwest Airlines

gettingmarried

And, never had one go down.

You don't mean like... go "down", go down do you? Shudder the thought, but lest not forget Flt 1248 (12/8/2005). Not exactly a complete go down, but... :D

And with a nonstop flight...

I never have completely understood this terminology. I've done the math and they all stop eventually... hopefully where you were planning on arriving :eek:

symo

We just used Southwest out of Buffalo the beginning of the month. As written by the other posters, they're a great airline to fly with, and currently have some of the best pricing around. When they changed to their new system of boarding, I thought it would be slower, but it's not, it's very fast. And they do like to joke around which relaxes people.

I was worried about not being able to get our return boarding passes printed out as close to the 24 hr time as possible, but we didn't even have a full flight (Orlando to Buffalo) and when we printed them 7 hrs before the flight we still made group A. So it really depends on how full your flights are, etc. Good luck with your flight choice!

I'm from California. From what I've experienced, if all the other airlines should fail and only Southwest left standing, flying would be a far better experience.

Is it perfect? No. Elite business travellers hate it cuz they don't have a real fancy first class (it's barely distinguishable from regular coach). However, unless you fall in that category and just travel to where southwest flies (they only fly to some crappy locations in some areas, like the northeast), it's awesome. I find it hilarious, or ironic, that Southwest has this rep as a discount, no frills airline, but it actually has the most "frills" now that every other airline is trying to charge for every little thing.

I used to hold JetBlue in high regard, but they don't have anywhere near the same frequency of flights to the places I've looked into, they've started charging stupid fees also, and their customer service/general attitude of employees is far worse than Southwest.

I'm not overly thrilled with their new boarding system, but it's not too big a change. The overall system is still the same so the normal critics will still hate it. And I've noticed they've finally started joking more. It's starting to feel like it used to pre-911. Back in the day, the flight attendants seemingly had a competition to see who could come up with the funniest pre/post flight spiel. I'm glad to be hearing more and more attendants saying funny announcements again.

I use them for both business and pleasure. I'm not a cross-country business flier so I'm not a good candidate for elite or platinum frequent flier status at other airlines. I take short little hops up and down California mostly. For me, Southwest's frequent flier program is awesome because my little short hops are the same as a cross country flight. They go by how many legs you take with them, not how long each leg is. And your reward flight isn't restricted either. I can use a bunch of short legs to earn a reward, and then book a cross country trip with that reward. Or, sell it on eBay (for a value of a cross country trip) and use that money to cover a few more of my short trips.

Unfortunately, Southwest doesn't fly everywhere, but if you're in an area where they do serve, it's an awesome airline. To me, they're easily the best airline BY FAR. Objective reports on on flight status, lost luggage rates, etc seem to confirm it too.

If you have a web enabled cell phone, you can check in from it also. I always print our boarding passes at home via the internet before we leave. Sometimes the day before we were to fly home, in a strange town, I was not close to a computer. I read on their website how to do it from a cell phone. So 23 hours and 59 minutes before my flight I just check in with my cell phone and print the actual pass at the airport.

They are an excellent airline, still provide ample snacks on long flights, and the 2 free suitcases is definitely a bonus for cruise travel. I love their happy go lucky attitude.;)

I echo what everyone has said. If you are flying Southwest, just make sure you know all the ins and outs of their boarding process, or your group will have a hard time getting seats together. We have never had a problem, but we are on top of it.

They are no longer "no frills." In fact, by today's standards, they give you quite a bit: onboard drink, 2 checked bags no charge, onboard snack. We fly out of Philadelphia and have virtually stopped flying USAir in favor of southwest. They take off on time, and don't give you any bull if there is a problem on your flight.

One other thing I really like about them is when flying in bad weather. They typically will cancel service far sooner than the other airlines. Why is that good? Because you know before you leave home that your flight is cancelled. If you've ever been at the airport in bad weather and played "when will my flight take off" bingo, and ended up possibly sleeping in the terminal, you will appreciate that.

Good luck!

I fly Southwest as they are my only choice if I want to pop up to Orlando for just the day and see my daughter rather than driving the 4 hours each way and they're a great choice to go from Fort Myers into Long Island to visit my parents, but honestly, I can't stand the airline. I hate the whole not assigning the seats, hate having to line up, hate having to be by the computer 24 ours prior to check in. They do have decent leg room, but their seats are smaller than other airlines.

I used to find that they had the best price, but since they have started this whole "business and business select" I don't find them to be the cheapest any longer. JetBlue is consistently cheaper from RSW to New York. They also won't allow you to book the better fares within a week of flying any longer, when you do this you can only purchase business or business select.

Yes, you do get a free soda and a small bag of peanuts, but I'd rather have an assigned seat.

I fly Southwest as they are my only choice if I want to pop up to Orlando for just the day and see my daughter rather than driving the 4 hours each way and they're a great choice to go from Fort Myers into Long Island to visit my parents, but honestly, I can't stand the airline. I hate the whole not assigning the seats, hate having to line up, hate having to be by the computer 24 ours prior to check in. They do have decent leg room, but their seats are smaller than other airlines.

I used to find that they had the best price, but since they have started this whole "business and business select" I don't find them to be the cheapest any longer. JetBlue is consistently cheaper from RSW to New York. They also won't allow you to book the better fares within a week of flying any longer, when you do this you can only purchase business or business select.

Yes, you do get a free soda and a small bag of peanuts, but I'd rather have an assigned seat.

I'm with you on this. Their service is just fine (if a little silly at times), no complaints there, but that whole cattle-call process is a royal pain in the patootie. I prefer to take my leisurely time getting to the gate, and remaining comfortably seated until my row is called, not having to stand there like thoroughbreds mashed into the starting gate at Churchill Downs, waiting for the starter. And that 24 hours prior nonsense is beyond irritating. It's nice they don't charge for checked baggage (yet!) but I'd happily pay a surcharge for an assigned seat.

:D I love SWA. It is my airline of choice out of RDU anywhere it flies. I mainly use it to go to Florida and Las Vegas. You can now print your boarding pass online 24 hours prior to your flight when you check in. Still no fee for checked bags. As for them being a bit silly, I like their attitude. It beats the surly service you get on many mainstream airlines. I can understand why many people have switched to the lower cost carriers.

SW is my second choice in airlines, and that is saying quite a lot. We fly AirTran as our first choice (pricing really good from our home city, good connections, etc.) but if AirTran doesn't have what we want, when we want to fly, I check SW next. Dread all other airlines......:)

I fly Southwest extensively. In fact, we leave for a cruise this week and we're going courtesy of Rapid Rewards, ironically, from Salt Lake City to Buffalo on our way to Brooklyn. I wouldn't even think of taking another airline on such an important trip. We'll get there, get there on time, sit first, get off first, etc. No worries.

We just booked with Southwest today for our flight home from LA to PHX after our cruise in Dec. It seems that Delta (our original reservation) cancelled our flight, and they no longer fly direct from LA to PHX. They wanted us to connect through SLC. Well thanks very much, but we could rent a car and drive home in less time than that would take! So we booked a flight with SW. And MrsRedPony advised me that the website clearly states that in addition to checking in online, the fare you pay may affect your boarding class. In other words, if you buy a cheaper ticket, you should anticipate getting last choice for seats. Oh well, it's only a little over an hour flight, so we'll deal with whatever we get.

We just booked with Southwest today for our flight home from LA to PHX after our cruise in Dec. It seems that Delta (our original reservation) cancelled our flight, and they no longer fly direct from LA to PHX. They wanted us to connect through SLC. Well thanks very much, but we could rent a car and drive home in less time than that would take! So we booked a flight with SW. And MrsRedPony advised me that the website clearly states that in addition to checking in online, the fare you pay may affect your boarding class. In other words, if you buy a cheaper ticket, you should anticipate getting last choice for seats. Oh well, it's only a little over an hour flight, so we'll deal with whatever we get.

Actually that means if you pay more for Business Select you get one of the first 15 boarding numbers .. if you don't but check in promptly at 24 hours you will probably still be in the A group.

I like the new boarding procedure .. they now board families with children after the A group (unless they have A boarding passes) .. which means that they haven't taken up all of the front seats and you must go back or sit by a child who may or may not cry the whole way. Plus it seems to go much faster than the old way.

We fly SWA all the time and we have absolutely no problem with standing in our assigned boarding number and checking two bags free and being on time to our destinations.

I like the new boarding procedure .. they now board families with children after the A group (unless they have A boarding passes) .. which means that they haven't taken up all of the front seats and you must go back or sit by a child who may or may not cry the whole way.

Problem is, after you get your good seat by being in group A, the family with the crying child can choose to sit near you.

With the old method, you may have needed to go further back to avoid the crying child, but at least you could avoid him/her.

symo:

Go down as in "GO DOWN". Chicago was a landing, if I recall, and nobody onboard persihed, although a couple unfortunate on the highway did. SW has never had an incident where an oboard fatality occurred (with the exception of health related events, etc.) They have never lost an aircraft. Sw also had an overrun in CA. a bit back.

Btw, I am surprised that MDW does not have more of that type of event. It is one of the shortest runways in use for commercial traffic.

symo:

Go down as in "GO DOWN". Chicago was a landing, if I recall, and nobody onboard persihed, although a couple unfortunate on the highway did. SW has never had an incident where an oboard fatality occurred (with the exception of health related events, etc.) They have never lost an aircraft. Sw also had an overrun in CA. a bit back.

Btw, I am surprised that MDW does not have more of that type of event. It is one of the shortest runways in use for commercial traffic.

Agreed on MDW. My "go down" comment was a bit tongue in cheek, ergo the smilie :D

Good landing - passengers can walk away from the aircraft.

Excellent landing - passengers can walk away from the aircraft and the aircraft can be reused. :D

I have nothing but praise for SWA, and I fly them exclusively (unless they just don't go where I need to go). SWA is a poster child for the American way and good business practices. Where else in America can a woman go from secretary to President of the company? I'm glad that Colleen Barrett is still "hanging" around the company even in an emeritus role.

Here's to many more air miles with SWA and lot's of time on the water cruis'in.

symo

I'm not a huge fan of SW primarily due to I always feel like I'm on a cattle call when boarding. Other than that, they do fine.

I am starting to change my allegiance as they do not charge for second bags (or in some airlines, even the first). That is a bigger pet peeve than the boarding process to me. I would not avoid SW and if the price and schedule is right, I would use them.

I am a fellow Ontarian,southern close to Lake Erie. I have flown southwest and had no problem. Buffalo airport is easy to get to and is my airport of choice when you are guaranteed nice weather...great rates too. My biggest concern is the severe storms they experience in the winter and that is why I avoid Buffalo from Nov. to March and fly out of TO. It doesn't make the cost any cheaper if you have to go early and stay overnight. IMHO Terri

All you need to do is get a blue sleeve from the gate attendant. Disabled passengers will always board first.

Thanks for the information, we will be virgin SW's out of LAS to FLL in Jan; we booked a great fare as soon as they opened the bookings for January.:)

Archived