Good To Great TA's

oilbert

I know that at least one of the most frequent posters on this site is a TA and I suspect several others are also . We have received a wide range of service from 3 different TA's , all in the same office . Is it common for satisfied customers to bring a thank you gift of some kind for a TA who has given great service . If so what is appropriate ? a rose bowl ? some kind of souvenir from the cruise or cruise ship ? a large thank you card ? A quick chat with the superviser ? Some combination of the above ? Or just a quick visit and a verbal thank you for a job well done ?

Thank you for your comments .

IMO----I think you will find that most TA's appreciate a thank-you and future business; that is what they are in--business. IF your TA also happens to be a personal friend (outside of any business relationship), and perhaps gave up their commission or went some other personal extra distance, then a personal gift could be in order.

But there is a difference between a business relationship and a personal one.

I know that at least one of the most frequent posters on this site is a TA and I suspect several others are also . We have received a wide range of service from 3 different TA's , all in the same office . Is it common for satisfied customers to bring a thank you gift of some kind for a TA who has given great service . If so what is appropriate ? a rose bowl ? some kind of souvenir from the cruise or cruise ship ? a large thank you card ? A quick chat with the superviser ? Some combination of the above ? Or just a quick visit and a verbal thank you for a job well done ?

You know, normally I would bow to the professional opinion, but here, I can't. Gift giving is something done from the heart -- in this case to say "thank you." The gift, of course, should be decided upon based on the relationship. If it's a purely professional one, make the gift appropriate -- like an Amazon gift card or something.

But give according to your feelings, not what everyone else does. :)

Tee

If they gave you an on board gift or paid for a specialty restaurant or a spa treatment then a thank you note is in order, but not a gift. As someone else said their commission was your gift to them.

OP back. The individual TA's work for the AMA (Alberta Motor Association) and while I am not positive I doubt they receive commissions :( . Most likely straight salary . I would never have the nerve to ask them how they are paid , even if I am curious. They are hard working, individuals and like with a cabin steward I assumed a show of appreciation would be nice . However the majority of replies seem to indicate a Thank You is sufficient so that is the way we will go Thank all of you for your help.

i only gave my TA a gift once....a small basket of bath & body stuff......we were on a land trip to Puerto Vallarta, and long story shot, the 1st hotel was half closed for renovations and really not nice....so, long distance, by phone she moved us elsewhere and got them to honor our price from the other place, including the free breakfast.....

since then, we just book on the ship, switch it to her and she collects the money......and is there in case something wacky happens.;)

I can say this, a client sent me a postcard when they returned back from their cruise, and that was greatly appreciated. It had a picture of the ship, and then another was from one of the ports they went to.

Once in a while clients will send me pictures from the ship, or at least a good shot of the room they were in, so I can have those for future reference. Do I expect a gift, NO, however even a picture is appreciated.

If you don't think that the agents you worked with recieved a commision directly, then I would suggest a thank you note to them directly and a second letter to the supervisor/head of the office/dept head/or who ever, stating how pleased you were with your experience and how much the specific TA helped you. These letters can go far when it comes to review time or bonuses.

I also think a letter that would be seen by a supervisor or personal dept would have a greater long term impact on helping out that agent that a small gift would be.

Of course a post card is always fun to recieve by anyone.

Your "thank-you" is the commission they get paid!!!! But, a thank-you note wouldn't be out of line. AND a recommendation to your friends!

Wow, and here I thought it was the cruise line that was paying commission!!!:p You guys must do thing different in the USA!

OP back. The individual TA's work for the AMA (Alberta Motor Association) and while I am not positive I doubt they receive commissions :( . Most likely straight salary . I would never have the nerve to ask them how they are paid , even if I am curious. They are hard working, individuals and like with a cabin steward I assumed a show of appreciation would be nice . However the majority of replies seem to indicate a Thank You is sufficient so that is the way we will go Thank all of you for your help.

I can't speak for sure for Alberta, oilbert, but out here on the wet coast most TAs at larger companies (BCAA, Flight Centre, Thomas Cook, etc.)make salary plus a small commission (a percentage of the percentage). As a former TA I can tell you that a small gift is always appreciated, especially if it's destination-oriented or if you happen to know that your TA collects something like snow globes or paperweights. A Thank You letter to him/her with a cc to the office mgr is nice too!:)

Archived