Fuel Charges Going Away

code_d

With the price of diesel coming way down from near $5.00/gallon towards $4.00/ gallon, with further price drops in the future likely, has anyone heard anything on lowering the fuel charges back to $7, or $5/day? Maybe even removing :rolleyes: .

I doubt you will see the fuel surcharge go away, or even reduce for that matter. With the legal wrangling out of the way, cruise lines can now advertise lower base prices in big numbers plus the surcharge with an asterisk and fine print. This couldn't be done if the supplement was rolled into the fare.

Also, as a practical matter if the supplement was reduced or withdrawn current bookings would want a refund. I just don't see that happening so if a change were to occur it would most likely happen when new dates are made available for booking. That means somewhere beyond 2010 at the earliest.

Also, as a practical matter if the supplement was reduced or withdrawn current bookings would want a refund. I just don't see that happening so if a change were to occur it would most likely happen when new dates are made available for booking. That means somewhere beyond 2010 at the earliest.

I can just the whining now. LMAO.

Yeah...I can hear it too. :D

I don't really care how they price-out a cruise anyway. We will still look at the bottom line. I was a bit PO'd when we were hit with the surcharge for our Hawaii cruise more than a year after we booked. I was pleasantly surprised when Carnival agreed to refund existing bookings. It's here to stay though, get used to it. ;)

Nope....they started the surcharge when fuel a good bit cheaper than it is now.

I also agree with the above poster....this is a way for the crusie lines to advertise a low price and then hit you in the end with a list of fees. A seasoned cruiser is aware of this ....a newbie is not. The newbie will have already made their decision based on the advertised rate and will probably not stop the purchase even when they find of the add on fees.

You are aware no doubt the fuel jumped friday big time because of the trouble in Russia?? It was up this morning, just got home so not sure what happened the rest of today. OK it closed UP today, over $115 a barrel. Carnival says they will consider removing it when oil stays below $70 a barrel for more than 30 days.

I seriously doubt at today's oil prices the fuel surcharge will be removed. Way too much paper work to remove and then try to reprice all those cruises, wouldnt happen anytime soon. imo

I heard, the reason its not put into the total price, is because a TA, make money on the total of the cruise, so the fuel is not part of what a TA would make money on, and so its not put in with the price of the cruise.

I could be wrong, but someone told me this.

I heard, the reason its not put into the total price, is because a TA, make money on the total of the cruise, so the fuel is not part of what a TA would make money on, and so its not put in with the price of the cruise.

I could be wrong, but someone told me this.

The TA only makes commission on the commissionable part of the cruise fare. $50ish per port for port fees, is included in the cruise charge, so you need to subtract this out of the cruise charge to get the commissionable part of the charge.

It wouldnt make any difference if they added it to the noncommissionable part of the cruise fare.

Archived