Any opinions on Table Size?

I believe you can request a table with adults only. Just have your TA put in a request that your table assignment be with adults only.

DeeKDRoseTransp.gifabducted.gif

Email: Deanna34769@wmconnect.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;14;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our Martian Yatch Club Adventure

RCCL Adventure of the Seas 11/14/04

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 10/26/03

Carnival Pride 11/9/02

Premier Cruise Lines (5 sailings)

We always request a "large " table and only once were we seated with children (on the Voyager). They were very sweet and well-behaved, by the way. It is fun to meet 3or 4 new couples or singles and for us dinner becomes a social event and a time to share the day's adventures, etc.. Have a great cruise! icon_biggrin.gif

We prefer the largest table we can get because it gives us more people to "meet". We have only had children assigned to our table once. They were some of the best tablemates we ever had. The first night the parents told us that if the kids bothered us then either they or us could have our table changed. But they let us know the kids would only be coming to dinner a couple of nights. These kids were some of the best behaved we have ever seen and really enjoyed their company the few nights they did come. (Kids were 6, 9, 11) Now on the other hand, one year we had a 3 yr old at the table next to us that disrupted dinner every night. He screamed at the top of his lungs and ran around the dining room with waiters dancing (unintenionally) around him. Finally after the 3rd or 4th night enough people complained to the head waiter that they asked the parents to not bring the child. This upset the parents but I guess the headwaiter decided it was better to have two upset guests than 50 or so at the surrounding tables. So I would request a large table to meet more people and hope that if there are children at your table (or even in the vicinity) that they are well behaved. Of course, it also goes to say that sometimes children are better tablemates (more well-behaved) than some adults we have had as tablemates. Just my thoughts!

PS....I don't have any kids so it won't be mine at your table or running circles around your table. LOL

We always just request a Large table no matter what cruise line we are sailing with. We also ask for Late or Second seating. We have had tables for 4 and tables for 6 with just one other couple. You will find less children seated after 8 p.m. as the children's programs open up again after Main seating. The cruise line does their best to accommodate everyone.

Bon Voyage

Celebrity Millennium 2/22/04

Carnival Conquest 10/26/2003

Carnival Legend 4/11/2003

Carnival Pride 2/23/2002

Celebrity Galaxy 11/2001

Grand Princess 3/2001

Celebrity Millennium 9/9/2000

Sea Princess 2/22/1999

Vison of the Seas 10/28/1998

Rhapsody of the Seas 3/1998

Celebrity Century 3/1997

Celebrity Zenith 11/1996

Legend of the Seas 6/1995

Celebrity Horizon 4/1994

I always request large tables. On my last cruise we were seated at a table for 4 though. It was very uncomfortable. The other couple seemed nice enough but they didn't speak a word of English! We felt badly but we asked to be moved after dinner. It turned out the other couple had asked to be moved too. They had family there and they were at a different table so they all wanted to sit together. We were then put at a table for 8 and had a great time. It seemed that every night there was at least one couple who didn't show up, but that still left us with others to talk to.

Laurie

Noordam/Alaska-1996

Viking Serenade/Mexico 1998

Triumph/Canada-2002

Destiny-11/9/03

We usually travel when children are in school so have only had children once and that was a baby that threw a hissy fit every night at dinner. We elected to eat in the Windjammer.

We have found that we do not care for a table for 2 as we are retired and spend 24/7 together.

A table for four isn't too bad if you like the other couple.

Most of the tables for six seem to be rather small and we felt we were sitting on each other's laps.

Tables for 8 or 10 we prefer the round tables rather than the oblong.

A table for 12, be it round or oblong is too big. My husband is hard of hearing so has problems in the dining room at a large table. Even with hearing aids, the background can be too much.

Also, we like to change places every night at the table so that you get to know everyone. Except on formal nights, I don't have to sit next to my husband (who I love even after 38 years).

It is also fun to see the all parts of the dining room rather than just the one area all week. The waiters don't like us to do it, but - tough!

peggy

We request a large table as well, even though we cruise with another couple always...and RCI is pretty good about keeping age groups together...honeymooners, families, etc...

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

I like the big tables too. Dinner is always one of my cruise-day highlights. I like to socialize with my dinner table mates and so far have been very lucky always. To many of my former table mates I´m still in contact with and we made really friends to each other.

Another pro for a big table is if there is a couple you are not too comfortable with it doesn´t matter too much as there are other people at the table to talk with. Although I haven´t had this problem so far.

Maybe I´m just lucky icon_smile.gif

First pics of the undocking of the Jewel of the Seas:

http://community.webshots.com/album/125049819TVWuuS

Jewel of the Seas left Meyerwerft Shipyard

See Photos of River Ems passage

http://community.webshots.com/album/131001309cIkOdH

Jewel of the Seas - 05/28/04 Scandinavia / Russia / Baltic

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;05;28;7;20;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Jewel of the Seas - 09/28/04 Canada / New England

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;09;28;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

09/2003 - Legend of the Seas Hawaii

06/2003 - Norwegian Dawn Florida and Bahamas

2002 - MS Columbus - Cruise to nowhere

2001 - Grandeur of the Seas Mediterranean and Transatlantic

2000 - Splendour of the Seas Transatlantic

2000 - Viking Star on the Danube River

1999 - Vision of the Seas Panamacanal cruise

1998 - Vision of the Seas Transatlantic

1997 - Crystal Symphonie to Mexican Riviera

1996 - Delta Queen on the Mississippi

1995 - Legend of the Seas to Alaska

I also like a larger table, 6-10 seems about right. I've been at tables with 12 and was fun, but seemed just a bit too much. It took the whole cruise just to learn everyone's names!! On one cruise we ended up at a table with just the two of us. The maitre'd noticed we were looking a bit lonely and offered to move us to a table with 6 others. I can't believe he noticed how uncomfortable and lonely we looked! Those were the best table mates we ever had on a cruise!

Izzy

cat2_anm.gif

Until Carnival Pride:

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Roll Call Explorer 5-23

Roll Call Pride 10/17

Just booked a cruise for December and when they said what size table, I said large. Based on everything I'm reading in this thread, I did the right thing.

My last cruise, the TA asked about a table, so I said put us near a window. Apparently, that was not a choice, so they gave us a table for 4. The other couple opted for a bigger table after the first night, so my husband and I had a table for 2 for the rest of the cruise. That was fine, but everyone tells us we missed out on a part of cruise life that most people enjoy.

Adventure of the Seas 9/21/03 - wish I was still there!!!

After having about every combination of table I think they offer, from now on we will be requesting a round table. They are the most comfortable as far as seating, leg room and being able to excuse yourself without bothering someone else to get up. The oblong tables that seat six are really close and you feel like you are almost as close as an airplane seat. We love late seating and have not have any problems with loud children after six cruises. We have shared our table with families who had teenage children that was a wonderful experience for all of us.

Have to agree that a large table wins hands down with us. We have met some wonderful people, some of whom we still are in touch with.

Also, with a large table, if sometone doesn't show up, you still have dinner companions.

Agree that late seating also usually has less children.

One thought that no one has mentioned, we usually board early and after checking out our cabin head for the dining room to see where our table is located. Last cruise we were really disappointed, it was in a back corner, close to the kitchen, no window view, really pretty blah! We had no idea who our table mates would be, before even giving it a chance, went to the maitre de's meeting, around 2:30 p.m. where they are still switching and changing tables (it's usually announced when you board), he was wonderful, said that he fully understood and switched us to a large, round table, which was also the staff captain's table. It was a great move - wonderful people, staff captain for dinner, etc. We glanced at our "old" table and saw that only two couples were there for the entire cruise. It was supposed to be a "large" table but it had been replaced with a much smaller table (same table number), so perhaps other people had possibly requested a change. The smaller table fit the corner much better and the four people there looked happy.

My last paragraph got kind of wordy, the point I was trying to make was that BEFORE you go to dinner, check out where your table is located. You won't meet your table mates, but you will see if you feel "cramped" - if you switch you may lose great table mates, but you might be happier knowing you had a hand in picking the location. Either way, it's a gamble, but it's an option. Plus when you arrive for dinner you know where you are going.

I also enjoy the larger tables. On our Explorer cruise in 2002 (without our DD), we had a table for 8, but only 7 were actually seated: us (in our early 30s), a retired couple from Rhode Island, and another couple from Florida who had a 9 year-old daughter. It was a great week as we all had a lot to share- different backgrounds, different interests- it made for fun and lively conversations. Our last cruise on the Mariner, my DH, DD, and I were seated at a table for 8. Our table partners (a family of 5) only showed up one night for dinner. We missed hearing about the different activities everyone did during the day, but enjoyed the wonderful, very personalized service our waiter and assistant waiter provided us, especially to our 3 year-old. The one nice thing about the table- it was right next to a huge circular window- what an awesome view of some beautiful sunsets...

Fajita Pita

Song of Norway 12/79

Tropicale 12/84

Explorer of the Seas 08/02

Mariner of the Seas 01/04

surgie - I recommend you call Travelocity to ask for the table size you want AND check it out when you get on board, like PMcC1998 suggests.

One great thing about this board is that you get to learn from others' experiences, learn what things to look for, and what things you have control over. Definitely put your TA to work, but do not let that stop you from making sure you get the best vacation possible. Your TA may get distracted or busy, or just may not know who to contact. You can still get what you need by double-checking them.

I requested a small table when I booked this cruise. This is my first cruise as well. After reading this thread I think I have made a mistake. I booked with RC directly. Can I change my seating with short notice to large table? We sail this Monday.

SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS CRUISE 4/19/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;04;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

PJM - Call and write (it doesn't hurt to ask).

Then check when you get onboard, and if you aren't happy, ask for a change.

You will get a seapass when you embark, and that will have your table number and seating on it. Bring that to the dining room after you get settled and take a look. You can try it for a night, and change the next day too.

The main thing is not to get stressed out about this - it's a vacation!

The best part of our last cruise which was a couple of weeks ago were the wonderful people from Canada and Minnesota that we met. It was my DH, DS (age 18) myself and my DB. We had a table of 10. Wonderful! There were two young ladies my son's age so they must have grouped us that way. Also a married couple close to our age which is in the 50's. Worse cruise we had was when Princess sat us at a table by ourselves. We met absolutely no one that week.

Archived