Shorts in the dining rooms

hearts12

The rules say no shorts at dinner in the regular restaurants. Shorts are OK in the Blue Lagoon and the Buffet and the pool-side grill.

It all depends on who is checking you out as you enter or check in for your reservation. It would not be uncommon for you to be told "No" at the door, but be able to see others inside the restaurant with shorts. The optional extra restaurants will typically be more likely to enforce the rules.

The easiest way to deal with this is to follow the "rules" and enjoy your dinner.

According to NCL, can you wear shorts? Only children can. Can you wear jeans? yes. On the Dawn what did I actually see in the Venetian two nights of the three I ate there on 8/17 Bermuda trip? I saw lots and lots of men, boys and teens (male and female) wearing shorts and not being sent out to change.

Sad to say I think you can wear whatever. Having said that I live in Florida where it is always casual. I don't like to get dressed up either but when on a cruise I do try and look nice for dinner. I'm afraid I have seen people that looked like they just rolled out of bed. I, for one, would not mind a simple dress code.

I know that shorts are a no-no in the restaurants other than the buffet, but like many have posted, they do get in. Jeans are fine in one of the 2 main dining rooms, usually the bigger, less intimate, of the 2.

Here's what NCL states:

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

My first cruise on the SKY was with the introduction of "free style" and people still "dressed" for dinner. That was many years ago and lovely.

On POH (07) and GEM (07) folks did get into main dining rooms for dinner in jeans but not shorts. On Jewel (08), they could not get into Tsar's with jeans or shorts nor should they have. That very beautifully decorated dining room is too nice for clothes that have been worn all day. It deserves respect as do the other diners that are in there. Take your jeans to the buffet.

While I enjoy freestyle and less formal you can be casual and comfortable in khakis or cottons. One reason I am sailing on Jewel in a few weeks.

:)

We also take advantage of getting "dressed up" on our cruises but I have to say we were a little disappointed when we arrived at the Garden restaurant on the Spirit (week of 7/20) and found many and I mean many people wearing shorts and even bathing suits :eek: (mostly men) to dinner. This night was an overnight in Nassau. I was shocked and my husband even commented about this. No one was turned away either. Needless to say, we were very surprised.

I guess I don't see the issue, besides it's a rule that is overlooked. My belief is that if the shorts are dress shorts, and you have a polo or sweater on, what's the big deal? Women can wear skirts, that expose their legs, why can't guys? If you are in a warmer climate, I personally would rather be in dress shorts, than a pair of pants. But I wear shorts when it's 0 degrees out, just cause they are comfy:D

I loved getting dressed up for dinner. Where we live it's in the back of beyond - very rural. There's a couple of cows, the odd sheep and a scarecrow - and he sometimes looks smarter than we do :D

On the Jade, there were people in full evning wear - DJ's, cocktail dresses and then people in smart jeans. I loved that you really could where whatever and no-one would bat an eye lid

This is a rule that is not enforced evenly. I was on the Majesty last week and one night I wore jeans (nice, no holes) and a nice shirt and I was turned away from the 4 Seasons (told to go to the 7 Seas). The next night I went to the 4 Seasons and the group in front of us were wearing shorts and the same person who turned me away for wearing jeans left them in.

Hopefully I don't get turned away for wearing nice shorts. BOOO on pants is my moto. Although I did go out and buy a few pairs of khakis just so I have a backup plan if needed. Gonna leave the tags right on them and pack them..if I don't wear them, guess I can bring them back after the cruise :p

I thought I had read somewhere that if the cruise was to Bermuda then men were allowed to wear Bermuda shorts in the dining rooms. Is this true or not?

I've read that too. Sorry, can't remember where. It's like ships sailing out of Texas people can wear jeans everywhere because it's the "culture." Lot's of Wrangler Jeans on those cruises!

My husband made a good point on our last cruise. He said "Who cares if people are wearing shorts, they are sitting down, you can't see their legs".:D

It is true. And, it bugs me more when people wear a t-shirt. A golf shirt with a collar is just as comfortable, and looks so much nicer.Just a psa.;)

I thought I had read somewhere that if the cruise was to Bermuda then men were allowed to wear Bermuda shorts in the dining rooms. Is this true or not?
Just off the Majesty to Bermuda and there were lots of shorts in Seven Seas for dinner; many of them were shorter than "Bermuda" length. Can't speak as to its being destination-related.

I think I would have thrown myself overboard if I would have seen him walk into Le Bistro in those last week (I must say, however, they look a bit nicer than the swimsuit and striped deck towel -- yes, deck towel -- that one VIP wore to lunch in Le Bistro :mad: ). He might be able to make a solid argument that they were 'smart' denim shorts. :p

Archived