Two Way Radios Aboard Ship

cruisedad63

I am sure there are dead spots. You need to get those that have a 10 mile range. If you get those, make sure you get an FCC license. It is around 80 bucks for 10 years. If you do not want to spend that kind of money, the ship has some for rent. I do not know the price. Now, before this gets into a heated debate from the sensitive side, here are a few pointers.

Use the vibrate mode so as to not to disturb the other passengers.

There is no need to scream into the radio. This is why they have a volume knob.

If it is windy, no matter how hard you scream into the mike, the other individual is not going to be able to understand you.

These radios are illegal to use in some countries as they interfere with their emergency frequencies.

Aside from all the legalities when on shore & disturbing others around you - they do work in certain instances aboard cruise ships. I've found them to be more trouble than their worth with the reception not reliable no matter how much you pay when trying to transmit through steel.

We sailed with a group of ten in February and used eight radios to stay in touch. Four of them were the Motorola Talkabout 8500s and the other four were Motorola Talkabout 9500s. We did get the FCC license to use the GMRS channels.

We found a huge difference in reception with the higher, more expensive models. Those of us who carried them were able to communicate with rare issues. The lower model proved far less functional on board, but worked well in port. The privacy codes were wonderful as we heard only our own conversations.

In consideration of other guests, we were careful to turn them off in dining room, show lounge, etc. But for general use, I see no difference in talking on a walkie-talkie than in person. (As already mentioned, there is no reason to shout on them.)

Given our experience and the convenience keeping track of everyone, I'd never sail again without them.

On our recent CB cruise, we brought four new Motorola T9500XLR two-way radios for our group.

Having used older Motorola two-ways on previous cruises with marginal reception at best, we were all pleasantly surprised at the performance of the T9500XLRs aboard ship. There was nowhere on the ship we could not make contact.

I’m no legal expert, but I question the necessity of procuring a United States FCC license to use these two-way radios on the high seas. Back home in the US, yes, you need a license if you use them on high power. There are two power settings on the T9500XLR, so if you plan to use them at home under low power, it is my understanding that no license is necessary.

The convenience of having these radios while onboard is well worth the expense. It gives you the same freedom cell phones do shoreside. There’s no need to leave notes attached to doors, voice mails, etc. A lot of time is not wasted waiting or looking for others in your party. With the two-ways, you just go...

A couple of times I got a call from someone at the pool asking that I bring up something they forgot; what a timesaver!

I understand the concern of those who don’t want to hear people yelling into their two-way radios, but it’s just not necessary with the newer models. There’s no reason to speak any louder than you would in normal conversation. While in the full service dining room or Princess theater, put the radio on vibrate mode so no loud tones will be emitted that may annoy others nearby.

While on our CB cruise, we saw others using the same type of radio as ours. In each case we did not hear either side of the conversation taking place. Loud people, who are constantly yelling at their kids or friends while at the pool are going to be loud when using a two-way radio...I doubt if anything can be done about that!

Lew

Anyone had any experience with the use of two- way radios (family radios, walkie- talkies) while on board? Do they work well or not on the ship? Any dead spots? If so, where?

I've used walkie talkies to keep track of my grandson. The low cost Motorolas worked fine, when he didn't misplace his.

Sorry I'm too late to warn you about being lectured on proper phone courtesy. Some folks assume you're too ignorant to be considerate. Just pay them no never mind. :p

Realize that you are in a metal ship and that will affect the reception significantly with any model you purchase. Static and interference from the ships radios, communications and internal wiring all come into play.

Also, they are just down right annoying to the other passengers. That ringing sound, turned up volumes and static, people repeating "did you get that".

Leave them at home and enjoy a cell phone free week of peace and quiet.

I've used walkie talkies to keep track of my grandson. The low cost Motorolas worked fine, when he didn't misplace his.

Sorry I'm too late to warn you about being lectured on proper phone courtesy. Some folks assume you're too ignorant to be considerate. Just pay them no never mind. :p

The problem is that the majority of walkie talkie users are inconsiderate. :rolleyes:

We've used them on ships before, on the GMRS channels, for which I have a 5 year FCC license, which cost me $75. Perhaps it may not be required on a ship, but if a ships officer asks me for it, I will be able to display it. Why would he ask? Your guess is as good as mine, but preparation is not only for what you would routinely expect, but also for those things that only have a slight chance of occurring. Kind of like why one would purchase insurance... :p

FYI, we have the Uniden Scramble set, and other than fairly short battery life, when used in GMRS mode, no complaints..

Also, they are just down right annoying to the other passengers.
I don't find them annoying at all.

You're not sailing in a library. In fact, most areas on a cruise ship are quite noisy: pool areas, Horizon Court and other areas are not quiet at all. Many Princess personnel carry and use two-way radios.

Also, the chance that you will be within earshot of someone using a two-way radio is quite small. Very few cruisers use them.

Treat anyone using a two-way in a disturbing manner as you would anyone else. Inform them they are annoying others around them.

IMHO there are so many other annoying things people do onboard, two-way radios pale in comparison. How about pool chair hogs; loud people in the halls at 3:00am; people touching all the food with their fingers in the buffet line; people saving seats in Princess Theater; t-shirts and jeans in full service restaurants on formal night; and many, many more....

Lew

Thanks to all who replied. The only reason I am considering the radios is that we are taking our children along, (2 teens and a pre-teen) I totally understand the need for, proper radio etticut and use it myself, as I have used CB and 10 meter in my, now retired from, previous occupation. I think it can be a very usefull tool in the hands of a responsible user. I just wanted to find out if they would be a waste of money or for that matter prohibited due to interferance with the ships communication system.

Please feel free to keep comments and suggestions coming as we still have 6 weeks till we sail.

THANKS AGAIN

:):):)

We tried the cheapy non-GMRS types for a couple of cruises. They sucked. Reception was pretty bad, a lot of people bring the cheapy ones too so you often get cross-talk, and they just weren't worth the bulk. If you do bring one, shell out for the better GMRS models. On this equipment, they're not all the same like cell phones. The more expensive ones do get better reception and stuff.

What we noticed after the radios didn't work well was that they weren't all that necessary. The kids run off and do their own things anyways. Plus, since it's on a ship, you know they can't go anywhere. If they can tell time, just have them meet up for meals or whatever and that worked just fine for us.

Your source for that factoid? :rolleyes:

Lew

Cruising 2-3 times a year and paying attention.. The best one was some jerk in the elevator telling his wife in minute detail everything he ate in the breakfast buffet. Another was some woman yelling at the top of her lungs.. "I can't hear you".

Another problem in using walkie talkies on a ship or other confined spaces is what I call the "Cellphone Syndrome". If you pay attention to anyone using a cell phone or walkie talkie, they are speaking louder then if they were having the same conversation in person.

we used the cheap version Motorolas on 2 cruises with the kids and found them very comforting when it came time to find them. It allows them a little more freedom and frankly you never know what could happen. The only problem we had was finding a channel that wasn't occupied. Bought better ones for our upcoming cruise. We used them rarely, but did use them. I understand that you can rent them onboard but I'm not sure about the price. There's nothing worse to a parent than panicking and running around a huge ship looking for a kid that lost track of time and didn't show up. Sorry if it upsets some folks, but I agree, the ship isn't a library and isn't quiet anyway. (they come with earbuds and small mics so no one needs to hear it anyway).

A couple of times I got a call from someone at the pool asking that I bring up something they forgot; what a timesaver!

Timesaver?!? Unless your middle name is butler I think I would have said sorry you're breaking up... I can't make out what you are saying.....are you there....hello?....Hello?? lol

Archived