train between seattle and vancouver?

NightRN

When I was on here a couple of years ago researching a Hawaiian cruise, it seems like someone had talked about a train between Seattle and Vancouver. Am I correct? Where would I get more information about that? Thanks.

We did this a few weeks ago and it was great. The only downside was that the only train left at about 7:30 am. It was a 4 hour trip and a breeze to get through customs in Vancouver. We booked early and with a AAA rate only paid $25 each way. I saw others who had paid about $45.

Get the station about 1 hour early if you are checking bags. If you don't have any bags getting there 30 minutes early is fine.

My only complaint with it so far (we leave on Friday) is they aren't done renovating the train cars so Amtrak informed us on Thursday that they don't currently have business class and that our train back to Seattle is leaving 15 minutes earlier than when we booked it.

We booked this way back at the end of Feb- there is now a statement on the website about it with the work suppose to start in March- and they are using Superliners for the trip.

They are at least refunding us the difference between business and coach.

I did see something about they are suppose to be extending the later Cascades train- so there will be 2 daily trips.

I have heard wonderful things about this trainride:)

and 2 weeks from TODAY I will be taking it from Seattle

to Vancouver as well:D ......lets go!!!!!!!

Something to be aware of, Amtrak services Vancouver, Washington in addition to Vancouver, British Columbia. Make sure you have VAC for the BC station, not the VAN for WA station. I think someone here made that mistake last year, luckily someone here caught it in time to clarify and side-step disaster for the poster!:)

It is a wonderful transfer, almost like an added excursion. Even though an overnight in Seattle is a necessity, we find we still save money flying Seattle, overnighting, and transferring over flying into Vancouver. We always overnight prior to cruising anyway.

My only complaint with it so far (we leave on Friday) is they aren't done renovating the train cars so Amtrak informed us on Thursday that they don't currently have business class and that our train back to Seattle is leaving 15 minutes earlier than when we booked it.

We booked this way back at the end of Feb- there is now a statement on the website about it with the work suppose to start in March- and they are using Superliners for the trip.

They are at least refunding us the difference between business and coach.

I did see something about they are suppose to be extending the later Cascades train- so there will be 2 daily trips.

The Superliners are very nice. Upper deck makes for very nice viewing and plenty of leg room. The only thing I missed between the two was the dining room. The transfer we had with the superliner only had a snackbar with a very long line. We enjoyed breakfast in the dining car and had planned to do the same again... no such luck. You might wish to bring your own food items aboard.

The Superliners are very nice. Upper deck makes for very nice viewing and plenty of leg room. The only thing I missed between the two was the dining room. The transfer we had with the superliner only had a snackbar with a very long line. We enjoyed breakfast in the dining car and had planned to do the same again... no such luck. You might wish to bring your own food items aboard.

Thanks for the info we were planning on snacks- but we'll add a stop and grab breakfast on the way to the train station (the hotel's breakfast starts about the same time as our pick up)

Thanks for the info we were planning on snacks- but we'll add a stop and grab breakfast on the way to the train station (the hotel's breakfast starts about the same time as our pick up)

Here is a good thread discussing Amtrak... and food options.

Or lack of...

Empty stomach + motion = GREEN for me!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=689617&highlight=breakfast+amtrak

Good luck with that.....:D Nothing in the vicinity open at that hour other than Charbucks (AKA Starbucks) about three blocks away and all they have is pastries and awful coffee....

Good luck with that.....:D Nothing in the vicinity open at that hour other than Charbucks (AKA Starbucks) about three blocks away and all they have is pastries and awful coffee....

Adding poptarts and muffins to the list of things that I need to pack :p

We did this a few weeks ago and it was great. The only downside was that the only train left at about 7:30 am. It was a 4 hour trip and a breeze to get through customs in Vancouver. We booked early and with a AAA rate only paid $25 each way. I saw others who had paid about $45.

Get the station about 1 hour early if you are checking bags. If you don't have any bags getting there 30 minutes early is fine.

It sounds like a great idea, but getting teenagers there by 6:30 am won't be so much fun. I'll have to rethink this one. Then again, they'll probably be so excited they might be waking ME up.

Is there a hotel right next to the train station? I was looking at staying at the Sheraton Bellevue, but if there's a hotel that's closer, we could stay there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically it sounds like we could stay in Seattle over night. Then on the day of our cruise, wake up early, take the train to Vancouver and then catch a ride to the ship to check in for our cruise. Is this correct?

Or should I just fly in to Seattle, stay the night there, take the train to Vancouver, stay a night in Vancouver, and then get on the ship?

Is there a hotel right next to the train station? I was looking at staying at the Sheraton Bellevue, but if there's a hotel that's closer, we could stay there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically it sounds like we could stay in Seattle over night. Then on the day of our cruise, wake up early, take the train to Vancouver and then catch a ride to the ship to check in for our cruise. Is this correct?

Or should I just fly in to Seattle, stay the night there, take the train to Vancouver, stay a night in Vancouver, and then get on the ship?

You really don't want to stay near the train station. :) I would stick with what you got.

Yes to both of your above Amtrak questions. Pick what city you wish to tour, and make your transportation date based on that.

I take the Skytrain, to Canada Place, but I also pack light and have no mobility problems, (I also take the city bus to cruiseships departing Seattle, yep, I'm cheap )

|

Staying in Bellevue would be a HUGE mistake if you are leaving on a weekday for YVR. Traffic on both of the bridges gets bad early, and stays that way til at least 9 am.

There are two hotels within 1 mile of King Street Station....Silver Cloud Inn Stadium and Best Western Pioneer Square Inn, with the former being about four blocks from the station.

BudgetQueen & SeattleCruiseLover, I really appreciate both of your input. My DS18 is leaving for Navy bootcamp tomorrow and eventually would like to be stationed in Washington State, so I'm hoping he'll be able to meet us in Seattle for a little while. I guess that makes my decision about staying in Seattle vs. Vancouver pretty easy.

As far as the hotel, I'll be moving a group of 13 people from the hotel to the train station which range in age from 2 to 60s with the associated baggage and mobility issues. BudgetQueen, is there a reason why we don't want to stay by the train station? It seems like it would be easier to get everyone to a train station a mile away as opposed to struggling through rush hour traffic in unfamiliar territory.

BudgetQueen & SeattleCruiseLover, I really appreciate both of your input. My DS18 is leaving for Navy bootcamp tomorrow and eventually would like to be stationed in Washington State, so I'm hoping he'll be able to meet us in Seattle for a little while. I guess that makes my decision about staying in Seattle vs. Vancouver pretty easy.

As far as the hotel, I'll be moving a group of 13 people from the hotel to the train station which range in age from 2 to 60s with the associated baggage and mobility issues. BudgetQueen, is there a reason why we don't want to stay by the train station? It seems like it would be easier to get everyone to a train station a mile away as opposed to struggling through rush hour traffic in unfamiliar territory.

Yikes!! Then I double wouldn't stay in Bellevue. The logistics of trying to move that many people that far in a short period of time would be daunting even if you were not time pressed (yes, I know that, as RN's, we are used to doing the impossible with next to nothing, but this is your vacation for crying out loud.....:D )....

Yikes!! Then I double wouldn't stay in Bellevue. The logistics of trying to move that many people that far in a short period of time would be daunting even if you were not time pressed (yes, I know that, as RN's, we are used to doing the impossible with next to nothing, but this is your vacation for crying out loud.....:D )....

That's right. I do not want to have to provide minor miracles on my vacation (or major ones either for that matter). Glad to know there's other nurses on here. I had heard that nurses and teachers are the #1 & #2 travelers. I wonder how true that is.

That's right. I do not want to have to provide minor miracles on my vacation (or major ones either for that matter). Glad to know there's other nurses on here. I had heard that nurses and teachers are the #1 & #2 travelers. I wonder how true that is.

I would guess that it is probably right.

I just noticed, too, that you will be here over a holiday weekend. Makes things even worse....everyone trying to get out of town early. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.:o

Archived