I have a ZILLION questions

sally r

Considering our first Celebrity cruise on the Constellation 10/05/05, 12 night Canada/New England. Here are a few of my questions:

1. Is "Connie" the Constellations' nickname?

2. How "stuffy" is Celebrity? We are in our 50's and usually in bed by midnight. We do the Tux and evening gown thing. We are well groomed but not overly "done up". We like to dress casual and relax, too. Our luggage doesn't match. We like to find a favorite bar and hang out. Just your average type of people. Will we fit in?

3. We always have a balcony cabin and most often a suite. Will probably book a consierge class cabin. Are there any prefered decks or cabins? What locations should we avoid? Really appreciate any input in this area.

4. I smoke (on the balcony and only in designated areas). Will that be an issue?

5. Can we buy a bottle of Baileys on board and take it back to our room?

More questions later..thanks in advance for any answers and opinions.

Hello Sally R....

1. Those who have already sailed the Consellation may refer to her as "Connie". Your use of her nickname will be deemed presumptuous, brazen and brash (ie; rude)

2. Your luggage doesn't match?!?:eek: Clearly, you will be needing to provide pictures of your Tux and evening gown "things". You can't just wear "things" into the dining room, especially on formal nites. (And, don't be surprised if you have to provide pics of the "things" you will wear into the pool)

3. Considering how things are going so far, you might want to book them all. And resell them to only those folks you trust.

4. Smoke? Your kidding, right? No Celebrity cruiser likes smoking....at all! (except for a few loonies in steerage). And, if you're smoking at home while reading these boards, it is best you put it out, right now!

5. Liquor in your cabin? You folks sound like troublemakers. Why can't you just drink it at the bar like regular people? If your drinking problem is so severe that you can only do it in private, I would suggest you "smuggle" a bottle aboard....(it will be our secret).

I'm sorry to have wasted your time. But, I'm new to Celebrity myself and some of these posters are giving me the heebiejeebies...There are many nice Celebrity cruisers out there who will provide you with good info...just be patient.

Welcome, you sound like a perfect fit to me. LOL

1. Yes, that is the nickname for Constellation

2. Welcome to our world.

3. Just check locations above or below public decks, sometimes you'll get the noise from them.

4. Not an issue, as a smoker who abides by the areas designated, I've never had any problems at all.

5. I don't think so, but you can bring a bottle of your own in your carry on. (altho I may be in trouble for saying so.)

Book and enjoy, I'm sure you'd love it.

Marilyn

Nitnyleo, I thought for a moment that I had accidently posted on the Holland America board by mistake! We canceled a cruise because of their posters rude attitude.

Thanks, you made my day!

Marilyn, thanks a lot! I feel much better now.

Sally,

You'll are a perfect fit!

The only thing I can see that will cause you trouble is being from Washington (state.) We see so many people from the far west on board that they are talking of a quota system!

We have done the Connie as well as three other X ships, with a fourth booked. After many cruises on other lines we like the X best - until we can afford the luxury ships. The ship is very easy to navigate, the atmosphere is serene-but not dead, and we have always met the best fellow cruisers on board. People have accused me of being a gourmand - I cook...and I think that the food is very nice considering the number of passengers. I love the aquaspa and the little restaurant there has terrific light fare.

The cabins are roomy. I like the balcony cabins under the overhang, but that is definitely a personal preference.

The only question I can't answer is about purchasing Bailey's for your room. We have not cruised since Dec. '03 and I think that the policy has changed. Most everyone we cruise with hides it to bring it on board. All liquour purchased on shore will be held and delivered the night before disembarcation, just like most other lines.

I would suggest that you give yourselves at least one day in SJU prior to your cruise, particularly if you have not been there before. After your long flight(s) it would be a great way to start your trip.

Happy planning, and don't dicker too long the X ships tend to book quickly and the prices go up accordingly.

You'll have no problem. Celebrity is not Crystal. Our luggage didn't match on our first Celebrity either and the only reason it does now is the kids gave us matching luggage.

I think you'll absolutely love Celebrity. It is our first choice. The food is outstanding, it is a more quiet and relaxed atmosphere(no PA announcements about the drink of the day or Bingo), a great speciality restaurant, a excellant staff, etc.

Put the Bailey's in your suitcase.

You'll be fine. Enjoy!!!!

Yes, you will definitely fit! You sound like most of the Celeb cruisers I have met on Celeb cruises! I would recommend an aft CC cabin if you should be so lucky as to get one! The M Class ships have the most wonderful aft balconies! We always try to get one. And yes, take a bottle of Bailey's in your suitcase, you usually cannot purchase on the ship to take to your room. You will love Celebrity and NO, most of the Celebrity people are not snobs, we just love our line of choice! :D

You absolutley cannot board a Celebrity ship with luggage does not match. Who do you think you are?:rolleyes:

Welcome aboard,You will have great time. Don't forget the bubble wrap for the Baileys. And don't pack it in the checked unmatched bags(might get crushed).

Hi Rosie

Welcome to Celebrity! I think you will find that the people who cruise Celebrity are a perfect match for you. And speaking of matches. I don't have matching luggage, never have and probably never will.;) I agree with Rosie, that if you are able to get an aft cabin, that's the way to go, but they are the first to get snapped up.

Garry

Thanks so much everyone! Glad to hear that I won't get a nasty note for my ratty looking bags!

Now I am seriously looking at cabin selection. What about 9094 or 9092? They are under the pool deck. Noise? Also 9100 and 9102 are open. From the deck plans the balconies look smaller but the room itself larger? 8110 also shows available, any input? I guess this is question 6 of a zillion.

Yes, you will definitely fit! You sound like most of the Celeb cruisers I have met on Celeb cruises! I would recommend an aft CC cabin if you should be so lucky as to get one! The M Class ships have the most wonderful aft balconies! We always try to get one. And yes, take a bottle of Bailey's in your suitcase, you usually cannot purchase on the ship to take to your room. You will love Celebrity and NO, most of the Celebrity people are not snobs, we just love our line of choice! :D

Absolutely agree with JNLRose!! We just went on the Connie for the 9/20 New England/Canada cruise. We had an aft FV next to another aft FV and CC cabins. Stateroom 9158. Fabulous views and balconies. Not much noise and the people smoked on the balcony next to us. We were never bothered about our luggage and you can buy the Baileys and put it in your checked bags. We are from Oregon and are in our 50s-60s and seemed to be in the right age group. We met some wonderful people from the east coast and the British Isles who were really fun. You will love the cruise and next year you have a much better selection of ports of call.

Hi again!

Looking at the layout, I would think all those cabins are in exactly thesame areas, near the Celebrity suites & stairs & elevators. The size of all the CC cabins (which is supposed to be 1a & 1b at some point very soon on the M class ships!)is the same; 191 sq ft. The balcony on 9094 MAY be a little bigger, just a little, due to the angle of the suite next door, but I don't know that for sure! We have never stayed in this area & I guess my only concern would be the traffic noise!

Whoa, someone "bashed" us in Washington?? :eek:

Alcpa1, really, I thought it was the east-coasters who were being quota'd..., something about too many rowhouses crammed together? ;) Not only are we surrounded by pristine beauty, here, but the plane you fly on to your cruise & back, and the computer OS you use probably came from here. Bwahahaha

Sallyr, I'm sure you'll fit in just fine. Maybe we'll all get lucky and be on board Celebrity sometime with Alcpa1 and really show him a good time. :D

CM

Hi Sally! It's Michelle from the Serenade 8/22 trip. I saw your post and had to jump in. You will LOVE Celebrity! We have been on Infinity (sister ship to Connie) and the Century. Comparing the people from our cruise this summer and to the people on Celebrity....just about the same! You will fit in great. There are plenty of bars/lounges to chose from for people watching! The Celebrity ships don't have the same visual "wow" factor that the Serenade had. I would describe it more as elegant and understated. I found the food and service on Celebrity a step above the Serenade. But I only have one RCCL cruise to compare to. I would cruise RCCL again, but Celebrity would be my first choice. I think you should give Celebrity a shot.

How was the Serenade to Hawaii?

Michelle

Hi Michelle! Thanks for the insight. The Serenade is by far my favorite ship. The Hawaii cruise was so great! A lot of the crew remembered us from Alaska. We were able to bring them certain things they had requested which made us real popular (certain music cd's, food, magazines and magic tricks). It got to the point that we were almost part of them. Had really calm seas for both cruises but Hawaii was really hot. Will do this back to back again very soon.

Back to Celebrity, what suggestions do you have for a cabin?

A big "thank you" to everyone else, too!

C M et al,

I wasn't any where near bashing - just mentioning all of the Washington and Oregon state folks we have met on our Caribbean cruises. Fortunately we have spent a little time in your neck of the woods, even tried to talk our youngest to join his best friend in Seattle for a career move.

We live in the mountains too, but not due east of you, more south - that's where the al in my handle comes from.

Sally, forgive me for presuming you were headed to the Caribbean on the Connie. Irregardless of where you are cruising on this great ship you will love her. We were in a cabin under the pool deck (the midnight buffet was overhead) and we did not have any trouble, although some have complained of noise and scraping chairs at 6 a.m. We were next to a suite and I really do not think that our balcony was bigger than any other cabin of its class. We had booked a balcony guarantee and were just delighted that we did not get a foreward cabin.

The hardest part of the whole cruise is waiting a whole year to sail. We are in agony mode here. We booked our next cruise 345 days out. It is pure "h" waiting, particularly since we always cruise in December, and this year we are saving up mega bucks for our Med cruise.

Have fun planning your cruise!

// 2. How "stuffy" is Celebrity? We are in our 50's and usually in bed by

// midnight. We do the Tux and evening gown thing. We are well groomed

// but not overly "done up". We like to dress casual and relax, too. Our

// luggage doesn't match. We like to find a favorite bar and hang out.

// Just your average type of people. Will we fit in?

Not stuffy at all. A very nice mix, altogether. Do plan to dress appropriately for dinner. Each day has its own requirements. If, on occasion, you just really can't bring yourself to shift into fancy gear, there's always the option of the "alternative dining experience" aft on Deck 10.

Matching luggage? Can you buy it that way?

// 3. We always have a balcony cabin and most often a suite. Will

// probably book a consierge class cabin. Are there any prefered decks or

// cabins? What locations should we avoid? Really appreciate any input in

// this area.

When going CC, I really do like the aft CC cabins that are sandwiched in between the Family View cabins (mentioned elsewhere here). However, they start clearing up at night on aft Deck 10 and it can get a little noisy as they move the chairs around when they shut down, so I'd recommend Deck 8 or 7 as opposed to 9. That'd be rooms centered around 7208/7212 and 8172/8176.

// 4. I smoke (on the balcony and only in designated areas). Will that be an

// issue?

Not at all. Port smoking, starboard non-smoking. Seems to work for most people. Some areas (main dining, theater) are non-smoking all around. Cigars are for sale 10 aft in the evenings, but bring your own -- they're not cheap!

// 5. Can we buy a bottle of Baileys on board and take it back to our room?

Yes. The ship's "stores" have just about anything you might need, including a reasonable supply of hooch and smokes. You'll find Bailey's is represented in their liquor shop -- the arcade is of a pretty decent size on the Millenium class ships.

The above poster makes a good point about the lower aft cabins! We were in 7201 in Feb & the only noise we heard from above was the music during cocktail hour and that only when we were on the balcony! They're wonderful cabins on the aft!

Archived