Princess at Christmas?

nc_cruiser1

We are sailing on CB out of San Juan on Dec 14th. What can we expect in the way of holiday decorations, etc?

We sailed on Carnival Glory a few years ago just before Christmas, and there were some decorations, including a large tree in the atrium. They also had the kids put on a very cute holiday program.

RCI had a special Thanksgiving menu when we sailed on Voyager some years ago.

We are sailing on CB out of San Juan on Dec 14th. What can we expect in the way of holiday decorations, etc?

We sailed on Carnival Glory a few years ago just before Christmas, and there were some decorations, including a large tree in the atrium. They also had the kids put on a very cute holiday program.

Princess begins decorating their ships for Christmas right after Thanksgiving and they are usually completed by December 1. The ship should be totally decorated by the time you board.

Not real sure about the reference to a Thanksgiving menu as Thanksgiving will have already passed when you sail. If you could eleborate a bit more about that one, we might be able to answer more clearly.

The reference to Thanksgiving was just about what RCI did for that holiday... a traditional meal. I really don't expect any special Christmas menus on Princess, but who knows? Maybe some figgy pudding or something?? LOL.

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Ship will be well decorated with trees in more than one location. There will also likely be a gingerbread house display in the atrium on deck 5. And yes, there will be a special dinner for Xmas day. Xmas songs will be on the inhouse TV and in many of the common areas over the intercom your entire trip..

On Xmas day there will be Santa for the kinds as well approproate religious services.

Probably more than once there will be a snowfall in the atrium.

Enjoy your holiday cruise!

The reference to Thanksgiving was just about what RCI did for that holiday... a traditional meal. I really don't expect any special Christmas menus on Princess, but who knows? Maybe some figgy pudding or something?? LOL.

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

If you are actually sailing on Christmas Day, Princess does have a wonderful holiday meal in the main diningrooms. I think that was your actual question? But this will only happen if you are onboard for Christmas. They do not serve it on sailing previous or after the actual holiday sailing.

We were on the Grand on the 1st week of Dec here is a link to 3 of my scrapbook pages of some of the photos with decoratins. They also had no huge Christmas tree in the middle of the ship. I am not sure if it was because not everyone does Christmas or not, as that was what was mentioned. I was a little dissappointed they did not do any Christmas photos...

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2664860210065147273lGoKGH

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2747941050065147273bWaIxu

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2227444340065147273FslRmk

Ship will be well decorated with trees in more than one location. There will also likely be a gingerbread house display in the atrium on deck 5. And yes, there will be a special dinner for Xmas day. Xmas songs will be on the inhouse TV and in many of the common areas over the intercom your entire trip..

On Xmas day there will be Santa for the kinds as well approproate religious services.

Probably more than once there will be a snowfall in the atrium.

Enjoy your holiday cruise!

The Captain of the Emerald Princess wanted to avoid the shopping mall syndrome of Christmas songs the entire cruise, so withheld them until Dec 23. So we were not deluged with songs "over the intercom your entire trip..." I don't know how many ships follow this example but it helped make celebrating Christmas that much more special.

We had a special dinner on Christmas day, Christmas eve was Formal, and there was Midnight Mass and Midnight Protestant services held.

Princess has one decorator and crew that decorates all the ships starting after Thanksgiving. They do a great job.

When we were on our last cruise, it was from December 10-20th, and they did Christmas-themed photos on one of the casual nights...they had props like garland and pointsettas that they put in the photos with you...it was pretty funny :p We were really tempted to buy one of them, but ended up going for some of the more traditional types of photos instead :D

When we were on our last cruise, it was from December 10-20th, and they did Christmas-themed photos on one of the casual nights...they had props like garland and pointsettas that they put in the photos with you...it was pretty funny :p We were really tempted to buy one of them, but ended up going for some of the more traditional types of photos instead :D

Bummer they had nothing like this on ours and we were there the first week of Dec.

We were on the Island Princess late December 2005-January 2006. So Christmas, Hanukkah and New Years were celebrated onboard. Princess decorated the place, waiters in the Horizon Court wore Santa hats, the kids did Hanukkah and Christmas arts and crafts and had a "visit from Santa" on Christmas day. There were little Christmas stockings with candy in the rooms and special place settings (crackers -- the ones that you pull on with someone else and there's little gifties in them. There were services with retired clergy for both Christmas and Hanukkah. We went to the first night of Hanukkah menorah lighting service and many people had brought their family menorahs onboard so there was a group lighting.

I sailed last year for the first time at Christmas. I ws amazed at the decorations. Princess went all out. Santa paid a visit and every child, up age 17 I believe, received a gift from Santa. They had snow in the atrium while Santa was there. Holiday music throughout the ship. Princess also had a few Christmas food items. They served egg nog Christmas morning in the dining room. Christmas Eve in the dining room, each person had a small gift to open (small deck of cards, tape measure etc.) and they served Gingerbread Souffle which was excellent and I imagine not on the menu normally. I wish it was, it was one of the best souffles I've eaten. They was also a stocking waiting in the cabin.

Almost everybody here is telling you about a Christmas week sailing and their info is correct.

I have actually sailed on a 7 day the week BEFORE Christmas sailing from San Juan. You'll have all the atmosphere. However, this is a very off-peak cruise week and is often heavily discounted. You may be taking advantage of that and know that first-hand. Please be aware that Princess will heavily market this cruise in Puerto Rico and there will be many large extended families, with teens and kids onboard. This is one of the most rambunctious cruises Princess offers - similar I would imagine to the summer CB sailings out of new york but with the freneticism of the holiday thrown in. Any cruise is a good cruise, but I would never pick this week from this destination again. If you search, you can probably still bring up my review. It was on Dawn Princess in '03. Your ship is much bigger - hopefully with more room for folks to roam it won't be as bad but I wouldn't count on it. It was definitely fiesta time.

So glad to read everyone's post about cruising at Christmas. My husband and I are seriously considering doing a two week cruise on Grand Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Southern Caribbean 12/21/09. We thought less kids - not so hectic since it is for 2 weeks. Christmas day in St. Thomas & New Years day in Aruba. It's rather expensive to do this but the only time of the year I can take two weeks at one time. Any comments, suggestions or recommendations to do this or not? Is it worth the money? Thanks!

So glad to read everyone's post about cruising at Christmas. My husband and I are seriously considering doing a two week cruise on Grand Princess out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Southern Caribbean 12/21/09. We thought less kids - not so hectic since it is for 2 weeks. Christmas day in St. Thomas & New Years day in Aruba. It's rather expensive to do this but the only time of the year I can take two weeks at one time. Any comments, suggestions or recommendations to do this or not? Is it worth the money? Thanks!

If this is the only time you can get the two weeks at one time, then it does become worth the money.

Lower priced two week cruises when you are unable to take them are not a factor.

It sounds like a great idea. I have done only 7 day or shorter so far. I would love to do 2 weeks especially during Christmas and New Year. If two weeks becomes too expensive, think about 10 days. I'm booked on the Ruby Princess leaving on the 20th. It doesn't include New Year unfortunately but a little longer cruise. Good luck with your decision.

We sailed about the same time as you are a couple of years ago. The ship was beautiful, many trees, garland hung on the stairways and more. It was georgeous. Not overly done---just the right touch. You will love it! Have a wonderful cruise.

Archived