Water question...

DrmnOfMaui

We are booked on the Ruby for our 1st cruise next year! I've been reading many of the suggestions on the Med boards and frequently people recommend "bring water". This might be a silly question, but how do you do that from the ship? Is there a place to get bottled water before you go? Are you allowed to bring it off the ship or do you buy it in port? I usually carry a bottle of water for my kids when we hike, etc.

Thanks!

Kim

We are booked on the Ruby for our 1st cruise next year! I've been reading many of the suggestions on the Med boards and frequently people recommend "bring water". This might be a silly question, but how do you do that from the ship? Is there a place to get bottled water before you go? Are you allowed to bring it off the ship or do you buy it in port? I usually carry a bottle of water for my kids when we hike, etc.

Thanks!

Kim

Hi Kim!

I see that recommendation a lot, but I can't help but disagree with it. The reasons behind it are not that the water is tainted. Reverse osmosis is used in on board water treatment -- the same method as is used in the best water bottling.

The reason is the idea that drinking shipboard water contributed to edema (swelling), specifically of the feet. However, my feet swell whether traveling on land or sea. They swell when traveling by air, if it's a long enough flight.

I honestly believe most of the swelling is due to the amount of salt added to almost all commercially prepared foods.

Ironically, I DO buy bottled water when staying in most hotels to make coffee with (I'm extremely preferential when it comes to coffee and the water used to make it), but not when at sea as their water tastes just fine.

Cheers!

Tee

Thanks!

Kim

Hi Kim,

We just got back from a Emerald Princess. No question you need water, at least a bottle per person and somtimes more in August! They offer them for sale at Cruise pricess :eek: during breakfast and right before you leave. My recommendation is you pass on these and use your own bottle. Its an easy way to save several bucks a day! They have a water and ice dispensor on the Lido Deck buffet that you can use to easily fill daily. Contrary to many post we didn't find the water there unsavory in taste. If you plan to bring your own bottle to be filled remember to get a wide mouth top as it makes filling with ice much easier. Nothing is more refereshing then ice water when it is 80+ and high humidity.

Happy planning

On Port Days, large tables are set up outside the buffet and near the gangway selling water and soda. The water / soda is charged to your cruise card -- $2 for the small bottle. It is both a convenience to pax and source of revenue for the cruise line. And one can take water and soda off the ship. While we are in port if we come across a grocery store, we buy water there (making sure it is sealed). And we put the water in the fridge for the next port. It is a bit cheaper that way. If one refills, make sure that one sanitizes the bottle each time with really hot water (say at the buffet).

This might be a silly question, but how do you do that from the ship? Is there a place to get bottled water before you go? Are you allowed to bring it off the ship or do you buy it in port?

Thanks!

Kim

We used our own bottles and filled them on board the Emerald. While they do sell bottled water on board as you are leaving the ship, we found that most of our bus drivers on the Princess excursions had water for sale for half the price. They had coolers at the front of the bus so water was nice and cold.

Like the others, I wouldn't spend a dime on bringing water on the ship; the only reason I can think of bring water onboard would be for specific medical reasons. The water onboard the ship is very drinkable so I just use my own bottle and keep on refilling it.

We are both sensitive to bromine and Chlorine. Wife and I can rarely even have tap water at homes or businesses that are on "city" water. There is a very slight hint of this in ship's water. Our solution is a "Britta" filter pitcher that goes on cruises with us. We probably filter 4 gallons a day! Works great and pays for itself in one cruise. Mind you, If it were not for a VERY sensitive system to water treatment, we would just fill from the tap. Very safe water.

Ships water is safe and I drank it with dinner everynight. However, if you do like bottled water and want to have your own supply you can bring it onboard with you. A case of water will frequently cost around $4, but onboard you will pay $2-$4 a bottle.

I brought a case of water on board with me and it proved to be very useful when in port.

Water on board is very good. A little tepid from the tap, so bring a wide mouth bottle so you can fit some ice in. Just ask your room steward for some.

Our first Princess cruise in January, we went through the trouble of bringing a case on board. Never used even 1/4 of it, as we wound up drinking from the tap.

Hi Kim!

I see that recommendation a lot, but I can't help but disagree with it. The reasons behind it are not that the water is tainted. Reverse osmosis is used in on board water treatment -- the same method as is used in the best water bottling.

The reason is the idea that drinking shipboard water contributed to edema (swelling), specifically of the feet. However, my feet swell whether traveling on land or sea. They swell when traveling by air, if it's a long enough flight.

I honestly believe most of the swelling is due to the amount of salt added to almost all commercially prepared foods.

Ironically, I DO buy bottled water when staying in most hotels to make coffee with (I'm extremely preferential when it comes to coffee and the water used to make it), but not when at sea as their water tastes just fine.

Cheers!

Tee

What?:confused:

I believe this recommendation has nothing to do with shipboard water leading to edema. More likely advice to take water with you on shore excursions because it is HOT in the Med and a bottle of water is essential to remain hydrated in a hot climate. Instead of buying an expensive bottle of water when leaving the ship, bring along an empty wide mouthed water bottle that you can buy at Target or any sporting goods store. I kept mine filled in the fridge, just added ice before heading ashore. They don't weigh much. The poster above should probably drink more water and eat less salty food to prevent edema while traveling.;)

I usually smuggle water onboard in a vodka bottle - works all the time!! just kidding - we save some empty bottles from the flight and put in tap water and keep it in the fridge - better than any water you can buy in a bottle!!

Ron

Archived