$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

I can't wait to try the $14.95 steak. It has not replaced the alternate steak. Posters just off the Freedon and Majesty report the 'alternate (regular) steak' was offered several nights. The $14.95 steak was offered every night. On the cruises I have been on the alternate steak was never offered every night, but offered prime rib instead. For me this is an option that I will choose and not look at it as some subversive plot. Until I experience first hand that the $14.95 steak is the only thing available in the MDR, for a steak, I am certainly not going to speculate as to why it is offered. My crystal ball doesn't delve into the minds of the execs of RCCL.

Simple, don't order it.

Yup, that works for now. but I honestly believe that it is pretty niave to think that we won't see more of this in the dining room.

Your answer in a couple of years might very well be "simple, eat in Windjammers". But that's progress isn't it

Yup, that works for now. but I honestly believe that it is pretty niave to think that we won't see more of this in the dining room.

Your answer in a couple of years might very well be "simple, eat in Windjammers". But that's progress isn't it

"Why worry about tomorrow when you have today."

Why?? Are CCers going to start beating people up if they order the "upsell" steak. It's called freedom of choice, either you buy it or you don't. If I'm inclined to like the idea, why shouldn't I be allowed to order it.

This thread is reading more like "it's my way or the highway" as opposed to letting people have options.

If you like the idea then great. If enough people like the idea and enough other people say nothing about it, then the $14.95 steak will become fleetwide. Followed by the $3.95 appetizers and the $3.95 soup and the $2.95 salad and the $1.50 surcharge per breadbasket (serve yourself please) and for additional CHOICES at $14.95 each you can get the Not-so-Chops steak, the chicken, the pork or the pasta. And for an additional $25 you can order lobster on the one night we serve it, please limit yourself to ONE, please. Additional lobster may be purchased for an additional $25. Now if you have a sweet tooth, may we tempt you with our luscious deserts, $4.95 each, please. Oh, and that after dinner de-cafe with cream, $2.00 Please.

Enough OPTIONS for you yet? How about adding some OPTIONS in the theatre? First 10 rows $20 per seat. Second ten rows $15 per seat, etc. Back balcony seats are available on a limited basis for no charge 5 minutes before showtime.

Need MORE CHOICES? How about that pizza in Sorrentos and the lovely little sandwiches and deserts in the Promenade Cafe? They used to serve them for free, all day and into the wee hours for that snack before bed. But, due to popular demand, we have added more choices!!!! We will now serve hot appetizers and mini hamburgers as well, but now we will be charging a fee for all of the food served in Sorrentos and The Promenade Cafe. Oh...and since we will be charging for the food now, we will also be rolling out our new "$1 per cup" charge for coffee and tea program as a result of the great demand for choice at The Promenade Cafe.

Hey, here is a great new motto for Royal Caribbean:

"If you don't want to pay for it, then don't order it!" So Get Out There!!!

Oh and what about the "beating up people comment? Where did that come from? A little civility, please!

Wait, I've been on two cruises and I have never bought a bottle of wine. I think I might have purchased a glass one or twice. I have never bought a photo. I don't play bingo. Ok, I DID buy my daughter a coke card...once.

I absolutely HATE the idea of 'pay for' items in the MDR.

I don't believe I'm hypocritical at all. You can call me cheap maybe, but not hypocritical. I think that's an absurd and presumptuous statement to make. By the way, who WERE you calling hypocritical, and how do you know so much about everyone's spending habits?

You hate the idea, and I don't mind the available option at all if Iam getting a quality product at a fair price. On many cruises I have left the ship with a ZERO c.c. balance and I am far from cheap. Times have changed, coke used to be free, a good quailty steak used to be offered etc. But I know these facts when I book and no one is twisting by arm. You have the option of a coke card, I have the option of a better (hopefully) steak.

Exactly, complain about a upgraded higher quality steak option, while drinking that $26.00 bottle of wine that probably cost $3.00, rush for the photos with a 400% mark up, book overpriced excursions, play bingo with a 30 to 40 % rake, buy the kids the $30.00 coke card (or whatever), and then say this is ridiculous, Iam boycotting, how hypocritical.

You obviously can't comprehend the fact that this is not about paying for an upgraded steak. We are against this as an obvious trend toward paying for decent food in the dining room. If you want to pay for food in the dining room, great. If this "pay for a decent steak" in the MDR program succeeds, it will go fleetwide. And if it goes fleetwide, the steak will only be the tip of the iceberg. That is what we are talking about. Nothing to do with money or steak. All about the concept, trend, etc. Sorry you can't grasp that and instead call us hypocritical. That is not very nice.

You hate the idea, and I don't mind the available option at all if Iam getting a quality product at a fair price. On many cruises I have left the ship with a ZERO c.c. balance and I am far from cheap. Times have changed, coke used to be free, a good quailty steak used to be offered etc. But I know these facts when I book and no one is twisting by arm. You have the option of a coke card, I have the option of a better (hopefully) steak.

What? So where does the hypocrisy come into this? I am confused.

You obviously can't comprehend the fact that this is not about paying for an upgraded steak. We are against this as an obvious trend toward paying for decent food in the dining room. If you want to pay for food in the dining room, great. If this "pay for a decent steak" in the MDR program succeeds, it will go fleetwide. And if it goes fleetwide, the steak will only be the tip of the iceberg. That is what we are talking about. Nothing to do with money or steak. All about the concept, trend, etc. Sorry you can't grasp that and instead call us hypocritical. That is not very nice.

And then maybe we'll all have the option to get a decent meal in the MDR. In the meantime, as I said before "why worry about tomorrow........."

I was charged $4.24 for a glass of Fruit Punch in the MDR on my August Mariner Cruise.

:eek: I think that bothers me more than the steak!

I always (well, if I'm not having wine) drink Iced tea during dinner. I guess I can assume that there will likely be a charge for that as well in in the MDR the near future??? Basically, if I want a beverage that I don't have to pay for I have to drink tap water???

:eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

After reading some (not all) of both views from both sides, I have to say that I may have actually changed my mind about how I feel about this steak issue. At first I thought, "what's the big deal...just don't order it.' But after reading some of the other posts I realize that this could very well be a trend that I'm not real happy about. I now feel that charging for anything in the MDR (other than soda or alcohol) is just not a good thing.

I don't mind paying the surcharge in the special restuarants for the better food and better service....but charging in the MDR just feels like a downslide.

I hope the other cruise lines don't follow suit.

Seriously... I have heard about by RCI really pushing the Oasis and having personally experienced an attempt aimed at selling the ship to me by an RCI employee over the phone, I'm wondering if the line just bit off more than they could chew with that ship...especially considering the economy right now. All this nickel and diming is clearly a sign that they are starting to worry.

heck, didn't NCL just dump in the middle of designing/building that F3 ship????

I think the economy is killing everyone.

No one can stop you from Paying for anything you want on a Cruise!

I was charged $4.24 for a glass of Fruit Punch in the MDR on my August Mariner Cruise. This always was included in your Cruise fare in the MDR. We were told it is no longer available in the MDR. The waiter said, he would see what he could do! Assuming when he brought the glass of fruit punch, he went out of his way to please us! NOT!!!!!!!! Before we left the MDR, the bar server came to the table for our seapass card to charge the fruit punch!

Yes, I complained to the Matre D, the pursor's desk, on a comment card, and you will Never see me order that item again! It is not the $4.24, it is the Fact, that if enough people Pay for these items that once were included in you Cruise Fare, it will be the Way of Future Cruising!

It was mentioned on the Freedom, you now are charged for Orange Juice!

Cruising is changing and the ones that are use to, It's Free It's for ME, are in for a rude awaking! I am one cruise away from Diamond+, and if it wasn't that I had airfare Paid (non-refundable tickets) for my next 4 RC Cruise's...I would be taking the HIGHWAY!!!!!!!!

Also the person who started the thread did question the charge of the $14.95 charge for the steak, but Lysolqn was the actual passenger that was on the Freedom and witnessed the charge for the $14.95 steak! Read through the posts if you want to know the Facts!

I would be upset if I was charged for the 'fruit punch', too.

The charge for 'Fresh Sqeezed OJ' has been around for a while, but you can still get the regular OJ, Cranberry Juice, V-8, Tomato, etc.

There was a different Freedom and a Majesty passenger that posted that the 'regular alternate steak' was on the menu a few nights in addition to the '$14.95 steak. So it is a choice for the cruiser to order.

I do love to read all of the multi-colored attacks on forum members, as if that makes your arguements more correct, or that it lends credibility to your arguements. :rolleyes:

Really, is amazing how this is allowed in this case. Proving again that maybe change is inevitable in all things.:D

jc

That is the really sad part, he does not like it, we get it, so in order for it to be valid name calling is in order. :eek:

I comprehend the argument just fine thank you. And, maybe, the "sky is falling down" and this will be the tip of the iceberg as RCL alienates and underestimates it's millions of customers as they go out of business.

I dont believe I called you or anyone else on the thread hypocritical, a general statement just like calling people "kool-aiders".

:eek: I think that bothers me more than the steak!

I always (well, if I'm not having wine) drink Iced tea during dinner. I guess I can assume that there will likely be a charge for that as well in in the MDR the near future??? Basically, if I want a beverage that I don't have to pay for I have to drink tap water???

:eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

After reading some (not all) of both views from both sides, I have to say that I may have actually changed my mind about how I feel about this steak issue. At first I thought, "what's the big deal...just don't order it.' But after reading some of the other posts I realize that this could very well be a trend that I'm not real happy about. I now feel that charging for anything in the MDR (other than soda or alcohol) is just not a good thing.

I don't mind paying the surcharge in the special restuarants for the better food and better service....but charging in the MDR just feels like a downslide.

I hope the other cruise lines don't follow suit.

Well tap water is still free and it would be hard to charge for the actual water, but I suppose if they stop automatically putting out tap water in glasses on the table and people need to ask for it, they could implement a service surcharge. I mean the Asst. Waiter would actually have to go and get it...........Just all part of a business EVOLVING, I guess.

Well tap water is still free and it would be hard to charge for the actual water, but I suppose if they stop automatically putting out tap water in glasses on the table and people need to ask for it, they could implement a service surcharge. I mean the Asst. Waiter would actually have to go and get it...........Just all part of a business EVOLVING, I guess.

Perhaps the brown water will be free in the future but clear will have an upcharge.

I would be upset if I was charged for the 'fruit punch', too.

The charge for 'Fresh Sqeezed OJ' has been around for a while, but you can still get the regular OJ, Cranberry Juice, V-8, Tomato, etc.

There was a different Freedom and a Majesty passenger that posted that the 'regular alternate steak' was on the menu a few nights in addition to the '$14.95 steak. So it is a choice for the cruiser to order.

I was on the Freedom in Oct 2007, and the REGULAR ALTERNATE STEAK....was on the menu EVERY night!

I don't eat the steak, so to me it isn't an issue! Taking an item away that was there Every night and limiting it to a FEW nights, to me going Backwards for passengers. Charging for items that were included in your cruise fare ( such as Fruit Punch) is going backwards for passengers!

Johnny Rockets was free at one time also, comments of the charge due to too many teenagers hanging out in there is a Joke! They have seapass cards to Pay the $3.95 charge and it doesn't limit them from going there. They can sit for hours for their $3.95!

Think what you want, even the Matre D commented that RC is making changes Fleetwide. The Conceirge's pay scale has been changed ( work for tips mostly now), why do you think they are leaving!

I have enjoyed cruising with RC, understand they are in Business to make money, but if the trend continues, they won't be having my $$ to stay in Business off of. I cruise 4-5 times a year, not 3 or 4 days cruise's either, all my cruise's Are 7 days or longer! The days of loose one customer pick up another are GONE! The economy isn't in too great of shape for people to spend money on vacations, let alone be charged for items that once were included in your fare!

For those that choose to pay for the so called upgraded steak...ENJOY!

I think I have a simple solution to this whole $14.95 steak dilema.

Just buy enough RCCL stock to attend a shareholder meeting with the Board. Tell them you think it is an absolute travisty at the rediculousness of these new "options" of red meat selections. Put them to a vote and voila, no more $14.95 steak!

Granted the rest of your fellow stockholders may be upset because you're decreasing their dividend return but hey, they still got that OBC!

I comprehend the argument just fine thank you. And, maybe, the "sky is falling down" and this will be the tip of the iceberg as RCL alienates and underestimates it's millions of customers as they go out of business.

I dont believe I called you or anyone else on the thread hypocritical, a general statement just like calling people "kool-aiders".

Don please be accurate! It is KoolAiders or Koolaid Krowd or Kool-Aid Krewe orKool Aid Corps or corporate shills are here masquerading as customers or Fain's Flunkies or KoolAid Unlimited, LLC or Fain's orchestral section or Krazy KoolAid Krowd or Flat Earth Society or KoolAid Kontingent or KaptainKoolAid & his Krew or KoolAidKabal or KoolAidKamp or Kamp KoolAid or hard-core KoolAiders and any discussion about it by anyone not on the Don Quixote aka Captain Boycott's team would be cheerleaders' buffoonery also known as Kool Aiders fashion their arguments amateurishly or soapy blather .

;) I hope that my post reminding us of some of the greatest hits of this thread don't cause anyone serious eye strain other than me having to scan the myriad versions of name calling directed towards other forum members. :rolleyes:

jc:D

I was on the Freedom in Oct 2007, and the REGULAR ALTERNATE STEAK....was on the menu EVERY night!

I don't eat the steak, so to me it isn't an issue! Taking an item away that was there Every night and limiting it to a FEW nights, to me going Backwards for passengers. Charging for items that were included in your cruise fare ( such as Fruit Punch) is going backwards for passengers!

Johnny Rockets was free at one time also, comments of the charge due to too many teenagers hanging out in there is a Joke! They have seapass cards to Pay the $3.95 charge and it doesn't limit them from going there. They can sit for hours for their $3.95!

Think what you want, even the Matre D commented that RC is making changes Fleetwide. The Conceirge's pay scale has been changed ( work for tips mostly now), why do you think they are leaving!

I have enjoyed cruising with RC, understand they are in Business to make money, but if the trend continues, they won't be having my $$ to stay in Business off of. I cruise 4-5 times a year, not 3 or 4 days cruise's either, all my cruise's Are 7 days or longer! The days of loose one customer pick up another are GONE! The economy isn't in too great of shape for people to spend money on vacations, let alone be charged for items that once were included in your fare!

For those that choose to pay for the so called upgraded steak...ENJOY!

You got it right! And just exactly how long do you think that Not-so-Chops steak will stay at $14.95 if it goes fleetwide? It will jump to $19.95 or even $24.95 easily, because hey, if you are willing to pay when it used to be free, why not pay more?

Oh, and now we are hearing you can't combine the Stock ownership OBC with other OBC's and maybe even the Diamond balcony discounts? I own the stock, I am diamond, I have four cruises with RCL booked between now and June, 2010, all 7 nights, two cabins each paying for 6 people on each cruise. I use the RCL Visa and we often book our cruises with friends who also book 2 cabins at a time. Starting to charge for food in the MDR, cutting back on the amount and quality of services. Cutting back on our Loyalty discounts, etc.

Hey, I have a question for RCL Executives if you do have anyone monitoring these Boards:

Are you TRYING to get your loyal, long term, customers to check out other lines? Do you want us to try the more upscale lines like Crystal and such? I mean, if you start cutting back the loyalty discounts, why not? Or should we try Princess? Is that what you want? They will be the same price or less. If you take away our incentive to travel with you then presumably our Loyalty may just disappear. Right?

I love cruising RCL. Heck, I cruise with them 2-3 times a year. I spend plenty of money on board. I keep booking with them because the incentives are really there for me. Take those away and start charging for food in the MDR and who knows what else, then gee, I guess you really don't want us to be so Loyal. Is that your new business strategy? Just wondering?

Don please be accurate! It is KoolAiders or Koolaid Krowd or Kool-Aid Krewe orKool Aid Corps or corporate shills are here masquerading as customers or Fain's Flunkies or KoolAid Unlimited, LLC or Fain's orchestral section or Krazy KoolAid Krowd or Flat Earth Society or KoolAid Kontingent or KaptainKoolAid & his Krew or KoolAidKabal or KoolAidKamp or Kamp KoolAid or hard-core KoolAiders and any discussion about it by anyone not on the Don Quixote aka Captain Boycott's team would be cheerleaders' buffoonery also known as Kool Aiders fashion their arguments amateurishly or soapy blather .

;) I hope that my post reminding us of some of the greatest hits of this thread don't cause anyone serious eye strain other than me having to scan the myriad versions of name calling directed towards other forum members. :rolleyes:

jc:D

Quit being hypocrital JC, you said the GREEN FONT causes eye strain and might require immediate surgery.

Archived