$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

All I can say about the marketing strategy of RCl is you guys are in the wrong place at the right time. Meaning, people like me are still ready to spend big bucks on cruising and put out fairly large amounts of money on multiple future bookings, but at the same time you are cutting the good will with your Loyalty cruisers. Dumb, dumb, dumb!!! Do you want us all not only to STOP booking, but do you want us Loyal folks to actualy CANCEL our future bookings???

I have four future bookings. (2 cabins each booking) Diamond Member. Stockholder. Guess you don't REALLY care about Loyalty. It is all in the marketing. huh?

..<SNIP>>..Tomorrow I'm booking a HAL cruise instead of an RCI cruise in protest of the steak charge..<<SNIP>>..

Are you planning on writing to corporate and enclosing a copy of your HAL booking? Otherwise........

If a log falls in a forest and no one is present, is there a noise:confused:

Are you planning on writing to corporate and enclosing a copy of your HAL booking? Otherwise........

Well then shouldn't we all keep making NOISE on this thread? We know they are watching this thread and how often do we KNOW we have their attention? PLEASE...anyone reading this thread, express your opinions to RCL as if they are REALLY going to listen to it. Because this time they just might.

Being a 2x breast cancer survivor, I thought I would throw a little "food for thought" for some of you to "chew" on.

Organic or not, red meat isn't really a healthy choice of meat for those that are really concerned about what they are putting into their bodies.Let alone people who are arguing about having the choice to eat it every night for dinner.An interesting article I found while going through my treatments:

Red-Meat Eaters Risk Colon Cancer

Eating 3 Ounces of Red Meat Per Day May Beef Up Cancer Risk

By Daniel J. DeNoon

WebMD Health News

"Jan. 11, 2005 -- Bad news for beef eaters: Red meat really does increase your risk of colon cancer.

It's not exactly news. Many studies suggest that people who eat the most meat get the most cancer. Now a huge, 20-year study from the American Cancer Society confirms these findings. The bottom line: Those who eat the most red meat -- beef and/or pork and/or processed meat products -- get colon cancer 30% to 40% more often than those who eat these foods only once in a while."

Those consuming higher amounts of poultry and fish, especially for the long term, had about a 30% lower risk of developing colon cancer compared to those who did not eat much poultry and fish," McCullough says. "People who had red meat two to three times as often as white meat had about a 50% higher risk of developing colon cancer."

So how much red meat is too much? Burger lovers, fasten your seat belts. In the study, high red meat consumption was 3 ounces a day for men and 2 ounces for women. That's right. Barely enough daily hamburger to cover your palm raises cancer risk.:eek:

And Ladies, this should be of interest to you also:

"The study of more than 90,000 women found that the more red meat the women consumed in their 20s, 30s and 40s, the greater their risk for developing breast cancer fueled by hormones in the next 12 years. Those who consumed the most red meat had nearly twice the risk of those who ate red meat infrequently."

“There are already other reasons to minimize red meat intake,” said Eunyoung Cho, an assistant professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School, who led the study. “This just may give women another good reason.”

So this just gives you another reason, along with all the other valid points made to this thread, to forego paying extra for something in the MDR.

Especially if it is being touted as a "healthy" choice:rolleyes:

I for one will be eating alot of poultry & fish:)

Why have MTD when there are already alternative dining areas?

Because that would be a choice of either paying extra, or not:)

When you go to an "alternative" dining area of the ship, you have to pay, don't you?( i.e. Johnny Rockets, Chops Portofino's)

With MTD, it is just a choice of being able to go to a dining room and eat at whatever time you would like, not just the "early" or " late" seating offered in the dining room.

Here are the basics of how it works:

* You can choose to dine any time between 6:00 and 9:30 pm each evening (reservations will be taken onboard, if you want to reserve ahead, and they are recommended).

* You can dine alone or with other guests.

* The menu is the same as the evening's menu in the main dining room.

* You will not have a permanent table or the same table mates (unless you come together to be seated together).

* In order to participate, you must PRE-PAY YOUR GRATUTIES. This is because you won't be having the same server each evening (although you can request servers, if you'd like, subject to availability).

This program is ALSO offered on the following RCCL ships through the dates listed:

Brilliance of the Seas - through 12/23/09

Freedom of the Seas - through 12/27/09

Independence of the Seas - through 12/26/09

Jewel of the Seas - through 12/21/09

Radiance of the Seas - through 12/20/09

Serenade of the Seas - through 12/26/09

Because that would be a choice of either paying extra, or not:)

When you go to an "alternative" dining area of the ship, you have to pay, don't you?( i.e. Johnny Rockets, Chops Portofino's)

With MTD, it is just a choice of being able to go to a dining room and eat at whatever time you would like, not just the "early" or " late" seating offered in the dining room.

Here are the basics of how it works:

* You can choose to dine any time between 6:00 and 9:30 pm each evening (reservations will be taken onboard, if you want to reserve ahead, and they are recommended).

* You can dine alone or with other guests.

* The menu is the same as the evening's menu in the main dining room.

* You will not have a permanent table or the same table mates (unless you come together to be seated together).

* In order to participate, you must PRE-PAY YOUR GRATUTIES. This is because you won't be having the same server each evening (although you can request servers, if you'd like, subject to availability).

This program is ALSO offered on the following RCCL ships through the dates listed:

Brilliance of the Seas - through 12/23/09

Freedom of the Seas - through 12/27/09

Independence of the Seas - through 12/26/09

Jewel of the Seas - through 12/21/09

Radiance of the Seas - through 12/20/09

Serenade of the Seas - through 12/26/09

You have never had to pay at the Windjammer. You can go there anytime (when it's open) and you don't need a reservation.

Wow!! There is more speculation going on here than in the oil markets.

Keep it simple.

RCI is a company, just like any other trying new ways to generate revenues, to keep shareholders happy, and keep passengers satisfied.

There is pretty much nothing wrong with the food today on RCI ships, however there are those who just love living in the past, and talking about the good old days. Those days are gone, and have been for quite some time.

People have expressed that they would be willing to pay more and have better food, no, lets call it back to the good old days food. Some people think the food is just fine the way it is, and would not like to pay more for it.

So RCI decides to try something to accomadate both ways. Let's see if there is a market for pay entree's in the MDR. What is the big deal?? Yes, if it works we may see more types of this in the future. So what?? Is this going make you have a bad time on your cruise?? Will it make you spend more $$ ?? That is totally up to you. Has RCI annouced that because of this they are going to put crap on the table from now on?? Some say keep it in the specialty restaurants, What's the difference??

People can rant and rave all they want here, how many of you ranters have actually written to the company to express your self??

Right now the only ones who really count, are the future pax on FOS and Majesty. They will more than likely determine the outcome. So if you are one of those who oppose it, then don't buy the steak.

Once the outcome has been decided in the future, then you have the choice to decide whether you wish to cruise with RCI or not.

I will assure you corporate really doesn't care. Been that route already. When I wrote Mr. Fain on a matter I received a reply from Idalia Romero which basically said thanks for writing. This is important to us. Thanks for sailing with us. NO to your small request but hey we luvs ya, your money anyway.

Sailing Carnival Miracle 9-30, would rather sail the Old Big Red Boat to oblivion

than RCI or their products now. The steak thing just shows how out of step their corporate people are.

The real test will be if the other lines are just as stupid. In recent years they all seem to be a bunch of lemmings following each other off the cliff.

George in NY

Stopped counting cruises at 50 of them a while back.

You have never had to pay at the Windjammer. You can go there anytime (when it's open) and you don't need a reservation.

You are correct with that. I forgot about there were also alternatives other than the paying ones.But the my time dining would be for those who want the main dining room experience, with out being pegged to a certain time every evening.Windjammer is more of a "cafeteria" type setting.

Curley, you said it best I think. If this is just a test by RCCL, then don't order it if you don't want it.

If in the future this is the way cruise lines are going, then some of you will have to decide where you will draw the line.

Hubby & I started cruising after taking a land based vacation at Atlantis,it was costly when you threw in the prices of meals after the lodging. Trying cruising proved to be a great option for us.We had 2 pros to add to our list for this type of vacation..1) meals were included, and 2) we got to see more than just one area of interest. If the future shows that meals are going to lean towards paying extra, then we will have to decide what is more important to us, the extra cost for meals, or being able to see different places at one time.It will boil down to what is priority to different people.

Hmmmm... since apparently they are cutting back combining the stock ownership OBC's and Loyalty programs, think of all those RCL Diamond Members rushing out to sell their stock, because gee, a $200 balcony discount is worth more than $100 OBC for owning the stock and if I can't combine them anymore, why own the stock? And that is going to increase dividends?

Oh and when newbies to the cruise industry find out you have to pay for food in the MDR on RCL but not on Princess or Carnival so they choose to try their first cruise experience on one of the other lines, that is going to increase dividends?

Yeah I read that on another post. Sorry, my original post was tounge-in-cheek (probably shoulda used a ;) ,:D , or :eek: ).

This has to be one of the all-time greatest debates on CC. I see both sides of the coin but some of these posts have become venomous. Please folks, state your opinions but stay away from the personal attacks please.

Cheers

This has to be one of the all-time greatest debates on CC. I see both sides of the coin but some of these posts have become venomous. Please folks, state your opinions but stay away from the personal attacks please.

Cheers

Always good to keep this in mind... :)

After all we cruise to have fun and relax.

Well then shouldn't we all keep making NOISE on this thread? We know they are watching this thread and how often do we KNOW we have their attention? PLEASE...anyone reading this thread, express your opinions to RCL as if they are REALLY going to listen to it. Because this time they just might.

Save it for something that actually matters, like when they down grade their TP or give you one less washcloth. :p

If the RCL reps are reading this, they are thinking you are all crazy( I know I am) for making such a big deal out of this.

It all comes down to choices.

Those that wanted MTD now have it.

Those that wanted to be able to dress down for the MDR now can.

And now that RCI wants to allow pax to choose to pay more for menu items, in the MDR ,everyone is in an uproar?:rolleyes: What happened to "it's my cruise and I will do as I please"? Guess it all depends upon whose ox is being gored.

Why should pax, who are enjoying the company of their tablemates, have to book a specialty to get the menu items they want? They can stay in the MDR and order what they wish.

If you aren't interested in ordering things that cost more, don't.

It's only annoying if you keep looking. Take your own advice.;)
taunt002.gif

I for one find this thread totally interesting, reading all the different opinions of everyone.As long as it stays civil, and on topic, it will continue to be of interest to all who plan to sail with RCCL.

Karkee07, if it annoys you so much, don't read it! I guess if you want to avoid further aggravation, might I suggest you skip the "smuggling chocolate" thread as well.:rolleyes:

With the understanding that I may be a "little late to the party", having just read the article about the steak charge on Freedom, I want to point out that on my 8/23/07 Liberty cruise, the steak alternative option was not available on the menu at all - I am positive about this as I have going with that selection more and more often as the menu has changed to limited choices.

The alternative available were basically grilled chicken or fish.

It must really suck when you go on a cruise vacation, pay all that money, and find out that you are being watched to see how poorly you react to some random attempt to reduce costs or increase revenue.

Hmmmm... since apparently they are cutting back combining the stock ownership OBC's and Loyalty programs, think of all those RCL Diamond Members rushing out to sell their stock, because gee, a $200 balcony discount is worth more than $100 OBC for owning the stock and if I can't combine them anymore, why own the stock? And that is going to increase dividends?

Oh and when newbies to the cruise industry find out you have to pay for food in the MDR on RCL but not on Princess or Carnival so they choose to try their first cruise experience on one of the other lines, that is going to increase dividends?

Hey, if you are going to quote me please do it correctly. I DID NOT write the sentence you quoted me as saying in your post (not visible here). I DID write the first two paragraphs you have in your post (quoted now). I have a hard enough time with my own posts. PLEASE don't misquote me and take my words as your own. Nothing personal here, just be more careful in the future, please.

Really....this is getting annoying. :mad:

If it bugs you so much don't order the flippin steak and shut up!

Well since many of us know this has nothing to do with steak or money WE may continue to resist this trend in cruising. But your BRILLIANT advice and observations will definitely be taken by most so we can all enjoy paying for all the food we eat on cruises in the near future!!! Thanks a lot, really appreciate such ASTUTE advice!

Archived