$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

BTW, I did see that there is a corresponding thread on the Celebrity Boardnow. Only their version is something to the effect that "X" CEO says that X is NOT going to charge for steak alternative in their MDR. :D :D :D

Not Yet! Who knows what Tomorrow Brings!!!:D :D :D

BTW, I did see that there is a corresponding thread on the Celebrity Boardnow. Only their version is something to the effect that "X" CEO says that X is NOT going to charge for steak alternative in their MDR. :D :D :D

I saw that, too. He also said that they weren't because their guests didn't want them to. Imagine that!:eek:

I saw that, too. He also said that they weren't because their guests didn't want them to. Imagine that!:eek:

Yep, quite a novel approach to business....:D We are trying =X= for the first time in January on the new Solstice. Will be interesting to see if the experience is more like I remember RCI being when we first started cruising with them. :)

$14.95 is a great deal for a steak.... why there must be at least 100 places in the world that charge $100.00 for a good steak... This is a great deal and we should rejoice... I would be willing to pay $14.95 for a good steak on the ship and $12.00 for a really nice baked potato and $$15.00 for a great shrimp cocktail... Wow, a great steak dinner for under $75.00.... watch out Ruth... RCI has got your number...:rolleyes:

$14.95 is a great deal for a steak.... why there must be at least 100 places in the world that charge $100.00 for a good steak... This is a great deal and we should rejoice... I would be willing to pay $14.95 for a good steak on the ship and $12.00 for a really nice baked potato and $$15.00 for a great shrimp cocktail... Wow, a great steak dinner for under $75.00.... watch out Ruth... RCI has got your number...:rolleyes:

So true!

Maybe they should charge for all the food in the Dinning room.

Heck, why not have a sur charge for extra plates in the WJ...that food is so worth every penny!:D :rolleyes:

oh no! BOTH steak threads are now on Page 1.

Do you think the poster that wanted this thread removed will go over to the other thread (started by Melissa@cruisecritic) and tell her her thread should be removed?

Personally, I feel that both threads are relevant. Look the topic was in USA TODAY just last week regarding Royal Caribbean and today (yesterday?) regarding Celebrity (where they referenced Royal Caribbean). Makes Celebrity look good.:)

This is also too funny!!!

EHC.............how many of these ships that you keep talking about have you experienced??

quality of "all-inclusive" food in favor of ice skating rinks, boxing rings, basketball courts, FlowRiders, etc.

Some of us don't care to travel on a Freedom Class ship.......even a Voyager Class ship. These ships do not have the amenities that you are referring to.

Rick

Rubrrick -

Your questions here are more appropriately addressed to the KoolAiders.

Why? Because they are the ones who raised the defense that upsell food in the MDR is just an innocent consequence of RCL adding lots of expensive, active-lifestyle facilities to its new ships ... you'll find their posts about this earlier in this thread.

The problems with that logic are many; my last post addresses most of them.

In fact, your comment about not wanting to book the newer ships (and thus being OK with missing those new FlowRiders, basketball courts, etc.) speaks exactly to that matter: Many long-time cruisers don't want to trade in their most prized amenities (including the MDR traditions) for new athletic equipment apparently aimed at 20-somethings.

Many of us here have questioned why RCL should expect its long-time customers to give up what they want and expect ... in exchange for something that RCL hopes will attract other customers. The RCL apologists have offered no rational explanation (sort of a status quo statement if there ever was one) :D

Perhaps our good friend Prof. xpc can answer that one for you. :rolleyes:

Or even ol' fredmdcruisers (who must STILL be hunting up that post about the customers demanding all those free Chops steaks .... after all, it's been four or five days now since we've invited him to back up that statement of his, yet he's evidently gone missing. :confused: Perhaps he's helping xpc mow the lawn, or joining curley for a couple shots at the American lounge?) :)

Might also want to ask them why this idea is apparently not going over well with Celebrity.:eek:

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam

Say no to Fain

Might also want to ask them why this idea is apparently not going over well with Celebrity.:eek:

I thought that we already established that is is because those that book Celebrity don't want it. I guess the fact the thing that separates those of us who book RCI from those who book Celebrity is a like, or dislike of extra charges. Those of us who have booked with both lines must be schizophrenic.:D

EFC, I think that it is completely obvious if you look at the Oasis of the Seas that RCI is no longer a traditional cruise line. Therefore, a simple analysis of RCI would tell anyone with a bit of rationality that booking RCI with rock walls, flowrider, ziplines, ice skating, etc., are not the same people that booked the Love boat 30 years ago. This may be difficult for you to comprehend, but it is obvious to most people. I would suggest that those seeking a traditional cruise experience, should consider, HAL, X, Silverseas, Azmara, Oceania, Cunard, and other traditional cruise lines.

As a consumer of cruises, I have no right to tell RCI how they must operate their cruiseline. I can choose to buy their products or I can vote with my wallet and buy elsewhere. As a shareholder, I can vote my minimal shares, but realistically the board of directors and CEOs will determine the future of RCI. They will have success or failure based on how the market sees their product going forward. You are free to continue your Al Sharpton quality shakedown, but surely you must realize that calling me professor, and kool-aid contingent, and Fain's scam, and all of the hundreds of attacks and mischaracterizations destroy any credibility your pathetic public protest might garner amongst sympathetic people who are not eager to embrace change.

So, please continue your multi-colored attacks, so that you can turn off more and more fellow members of the forum.:rolleyes:

jc

EFC, I think that it is completely obvious if you look at the Oasis of the Seas that RCI is no longer a traditional cruise line. Therefore, a simple analysis of RCI would tell anyone with a bit of rationality that booking RCI with rock walls, flowrider, ziplines, ice skating, etc., are not the same people that booked the Love boat 30 years ago. This may be difficult for you to comprehend, but it is obvious to most people. I would suggest that those seeking a traditional cruise experience, should consider, HAL, X, Silverseas, Azmara, Oceania, Cunard, and other traditional cruise lines.

As a consumer of cruises, I have no right to tell RCI how they must operate their cruiseline. I can choose to buy their products or I can vote with my wallet and buy elsewhere. As a shareholder, I can vote my minimal shares, but realistically the board of directors and CEOs will determine the future of RCI. They will have success or failure based on how the market sees their product going forward. You are free to continue your Al Sharpton quality shakedown, but surely you must realize that calling me professor, and kool-aid contingent, and Fain's scam, and all of the hundreds of attacks and mischaracterizations destroy any credibility your pathetic public protest might garner amongst sympathetic people who are not eager to embrace change.

So, please continue your multi-colored attacks, so that you can turn off more and more fellow members of the forum.:rolleyes:

jc

Gee JC, I thought he was paying you a compliment considering how much I have learned from you over the years!:D

Just read a Freedom review that stated that on the dining room menu if you wanted to order the alternative entree of a steak it now costs $14.95. Is this true? Is it true for all ships? :mad: :eek:

If this is, in fact, a reality then RCL (and any other lines that think they can hoodwink us) can whistle a tune and I nor anyone I know will cruise with them again unless they come back down to earth. And if the other lines go along with this, well GOODBYE CRUISING. There are "all inclusive resorts" that can pick up the slack without the multitude of people vying for "first off" the ship. And this "Cruise Critic Message Board executive staff" better let these cruise ships know that we think their newest proposal to get money "stinks," What is this board for otherwise? Can't the "executive staff" ever, ever express the views of the board which, I bet, are against this latest travesty!

If this is, in fact, a reality then RCL (and any other lines that think they can hoodwink us) can whistle a tune and I nor anyone I know will cruise with them again unless they come back down to earth. And if the other lines go along with this, well GOODBYE CRUISING. There are "all inclusive resorts" that can pick up the slack without the multitude of people vying for "first off" the ship. And this "Cruise Critic Message Board executive staff" better let these cruise ships know that we think their newest proposal to get money "stinks," What is this board for otherwise? Can't the "executive staff" ever, ever express the views of the board which, I bet, are against this latest travesty!

YOu really should have read more. They are trying it on 2 ships only to see how it's going to go. So far it seems to be split down the middle but those against it are very vocal. You are not forced to buy the steak.

Cruise Critic staff do not have any influence on the cruiselines to speak of. Where did you get that idea???

I think you have a misunderstanding of what Cruise Critic is. The executive staff,, I assume you mean the hosts etc., do NOT tell the cruise lines what to do. Where did you get that idea? This is a forum to express your opinion.

I won't say anything about how you didn't read all the posts, but instead, as many posters, voiced your opinion without much knowledge. At least, that's my impression. If I am wrong, sorry.

If you feel as strongly as you do, then you are right in not sailing on RCI. I hope you enjoy your all-inclusive vacation. There are things to be said about both types of vacation.

I don't see it as split down the middle. I believe most CCers are against this charge. Look at the poll that is currently being run by Melissa.

I agree, that most people are against the charge. However, that is really not a very interesting question. The question might be more interesting if it gave people a choice. Here is an example although there are many more options.

Question would you like RCI ships to have flowriders, rockwalls, ice skating, agua theatre, and a great kids program for free, or for RCI to revert to ships that don't have any of those things? If you like those perks would you rather RCI to charge for those, or give them away and for them to charge a bit more for special items in the MDR or the bars?

Those questions are flawed as are those in Melissa's poll, but they are a bit more enlightening. Her poll currently is a no-brainer for most people, as nobody wants to pay more for anything. This thread shows that clearly, and the poll is hardly necessary.:D I have long been a believer that the only thing more worthless than a CC poll would be .... hmm sorry, can't think of anything. I learned that long ago from Hucc... rest his soul.:(

jc

....I have long been a believer that the only thing more worthless than a CC poll would be .... hmm sorry, can't think of anything. I learned that long ago from Hucc... rest his soul.:(

jc

I beg to disagree. I found Hucc's polls very entertaining...rest his soul. Plus I definately made a number of friends as a result of his polls. :)

Question would you like RCI ships to have flowriders, rockwalls, ice skating, agua theatre, and a great kids program for free, or for RCI to revert to ships that don't have any of those things? If you like those perks would you rather RCI to charge for those, or give them away and for them to charge a bit more for special items in the MDR or the bars?

jc

Why do folks always assume that the kids program is somehow "free", subsidized by others? Sure there is no EXTRA fee, but the kids who use the facilities certainly pay for it. Most people with school age kids are forced to cruise during holidays and summers due to the school schedule. Prices at those times, especially on the larger ships are sky high. When we take our kids we get an adjoining balcony for them at anywhere between $1,599 - $2,500 per kid (for two) and then an additional $999-$1,299 each for the extra two kids (their friends). Since they can't travel in the off season, they don't get the "deals" like $999 balconies. There is no "child" discount like the "senior" discount often found. Kids pay full fare, high season. Since they are restricted from enjoying many of the amenities reserved for adults that are no extra charge, why should the one thing that is just for them be criticized as somehow being subsidized by others? The way I see it, the kids paying top dollar in high season on full ships are probably subsidizing those low fare specials for people who are able to travel in the off season.

As far as the Flowrider, we and two other families rented it out for an hour on the Freedom in June (at night, when it was closed to the public) for $300. I don't believe that is uncommon. How do you know the flowrider is a loss leader?

Many of the amenities on the newer ships attract families like mine, who sail with many family members and sail in high season for peak rates. If RCL wasn't offering that stuff many families would instead be sailing the cruise line that would offer them. RCL is offering more of this because it obviously makes them money. Do you really think the big money makers are the older ships,1/2 to 3/4's full of people sailing at discounted rates during the off season?

None of these newer amenities that obviously attract customers willing to bring their kids and spend big bucks has anything to do with charging for food in the MDR. Charging for food in the MDR is a new idea to make money and they are testing it out to see if people are willing to pay. If people are willing to pay, it will become fleetwide and it certainly won't stop with steak.

Yes, if all you want to do is eat. I eat to live, not live to eat.

And believe it or not, those of us who are big on the gym and excercise don't spend all day there. We don't live for the gym. We go to the gym in order to hopefully live a longer and healthier life.

Why do folks always assume that the kids program is somehow "free", subsidized by others? Sure there is no EXTRA fee, but the kids who use the facilities certainly pay for it. Most people with school age kids are forced to cruise during holidays and summers due to the school schedule. Prices at those times, especially on the larger ships are sky high. When we take our kids we get an adjoining balcony for them at anywhere between $1,599 - $2,500 per kid (for two) and then an additional $999-$1,299 each for the extra two kids (their friends). Since they can't travel in the off season, they don't get the "deals" like $999 balconies. There is no "child" discount like the "senior" discount often found. Kids pay full fare, high season. Since they are restricted from enjoying many of the amenities reserved for adults that are no extra charge, why should the one thing that is just for them be criticized as somehow being subsidized by others? The way I see it, the kids paying top dollar in high season on full ships are probably subsidizing those low fare specials for people who are able to travel in the off season.

As far as the Flowrider, we and two other families rented it out for an hour on the Freedom in June (at night, when it was closed to the public) for $300. I don't believe that is uncommon. How do you know the flowrider is a loss leader?

Many of the amenities on the newer ships attract families like mine, who sail with many family members and sail in high season for peak rates. If RCL wasn't offering that stuff many families would instead be sailing the cruise line that would offer them. RCL is offering more of this because it obviously makes them money. Do you really think the big money makers are the older ships,1/2 to 3/4's full of people sailing at discounted rates during the off season?

None of these newer amenities that obviously attract customers willing to bring their kids and spend big bucks has anything to do with charging for food in the MDR. Charging for food in the MDR is a new idea to make money and they are testing it out to see if people are willing to pay. If people are willing to pay, it will become fleetwide and it certainly won't stop with steak.

I was on my 6th or 7th cruise that I paid for before I had a balcony.... I can't imagine paying for my children to have a balcony of their own. I am certain that the flowrider does make a bit of income revenue, but come on, do you have any idea how much something like that costs to include in a cruise ship. And yes, I absolutely do subsidize your childrens amenities. I have no children, and Adventure Ocean is something that clearly I have never benefited from. I need to start a thread.:p

I don't disagree that the cruiseline is going to continue to try to increase their revenues by trying things in the future that will aggravate you and EFC again. They have that right. They are in business to make money, providing you and your family a fun vacation while core to that business isn't the purpose of that business.

jc

Archived