$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

I was on my 6th or 7th cruise that I paid for before I had a balcony.... I can't imagine paying for my children to have a balcony of their own. I am certain that the flowrider does make a bit of income revenue, but come on, do you have any idea how much something like that costs to include in a cruise ship. And yes, I absolutely do subsidize your childrens amenities. I have no children, and Adventure Ocean is something that clearly I have never benefited from. I need to start a thread.:p

I don't disagree that the cruiseline is going to continue to try to increase their revenues by trying things in the future that will aggravate you and EFC again. They have that right. They are in business to make money, providing you and your family a fun vacation while core to that business isn't the purpose of that business.

jc

Hmmmmm...you are subsidizing Adventure Ocean. Yeah, right. So then who is subsidizing the Solarium? If a kid is paying $1,599 for a balcony and a senior is paying $799 for an inside, just EXACTLY how is that $799 passenger subsidizing the $1,599 passenger? Why is the passenger paying $1,599 restricted from using the solarium, but the person paying $799 is free to use the facility because they are a certain age? The same reason the senior wouldn't use Adventure Ocean. There are many examples of this. Each ship has certain amenities for certain passengers. The reason people travel on a certain line or ship is often due to the amenities offered. When a Line wants a variety of passengers, they will offer a variety of amenities. There are plenty of Cruise Lines around that do not offer many amenities for families and thus families do not generally sail them. 99% of the reason we sail RCL is because of our kids. When we stop cruising with them, (my youngest is 15 now, but my grandson is 3 and we will be taking him on his second cruise in December) my husband and I will more likely sail on the more adult oriented lines offering more luxury and less "frills". But when we travel with our family we will go for the family friendly lines.

If RCL were to make a business decision that they were only going to sail 6 months out of the year and dry dock the other six months to save on fuel or something, just exactly what 6 months do you think they would sail? I would wager they would sail in March (spring Break), June, July and August(summer, school's out) and November, December (Holiday season). These are the months that families can sail together and are willing to pay top dollar and fill the ships. The people sailing in peak season are subsidizing the lower, off peak fares.

As for your statement:

"And yes, I absolutely do subsidize your childrens amenities".

Well, you can pretend that is true but it is not true.

And as for your statement:

"I have no children, and..................... I need to start a thread"

Why does that not surprise me, LOL!!!! I always have a laugh over people who cruise on a Family Cruise Line and then come back on the boards and complain about all the kids? Maybe some day you will get your wish and the families will stop sailing on YOUR Cruise Line and then you can go back to very few amenities and really high prices. Of course you won't be happy then either because you may see a few kids on board and mumble about how you are "subsidizing" their cruise, when possibly they are sailing in a suite and actually "subsidizing" your cruise.

I am sure that the cruiselines wish it is summer or Xmas all year. Hey, I do too! :D

The solarium is just a deck with a pool that gives the adults a place to read a book without having to listen to the bad reggae band or to listen to little johnny scream that he wants some Ben and Jerrys.

I am not sure what your arguement has to do with anything because you seem to be making my point that RCI is not a traditional line, and to have all of this stuff to entice you parents who want to give their children everything including a balcony, they are asking me to pay for it by buying a steak in the MDR. It looks like I will happily continue to subsidize you.

Say thank you!:p

jc

It looks like I will happily continue to subsidize you.

Say thank you!:p

jc

Considering how much money we have spent with RCL in the past few years and how much money we have laid out in future bookings......you subsidizing us? My husband is certainly going to get a good chuckle out of that one. Get a grip!

Having "kindness and love" in your heart doesn't mean that you have to enjoy listening to someone elses kid screaming for ice cream or anything else for that matter. People who love and enjoy children also get annoyed by some who are genuinely bratty and whose parents feign deafness in order not to have to actually use some discipline.

I agree with xp about the solarium. So much, in fact, I wish it would be off limits to anyone less than 21 years of age.

I'm tired of the parents who ignore the signs and drag their little kids in there and then get snarky when they are asked to leave. :rolleyes: The last cruise we were on this happened about three times. It was quite entertaining to listen to the reasons why those little darlings should be allowed to stay.:p

I may be wrong on this but isn't there already a cruise line that charges by the item? Isn't that the concept of EasyCruise? and didn't they recently change by raising fares and make some stuff inclusive because they were losing money? Am I wrong on this?

Costs are rising, we understand this! But why nickel and dime?? Why not just bite the bullet and add $25 per person to the cruise fare?

Having "kindness and love" in your heart doesn't mean that you have to enjoy listening to someone elses kid screaming for ice cream or anything else for that matter. People who love and enjoy children also get annoyed by some who are genuinely bratty and whose parents feign deafness in order not to have to actually use some discipline.

I agree with xp about the solarium. So much, in fact, I wish it would be off limits to anyone less than 21 years of age.

I'm tired of the parents who ignore the signs and drag their little kids in there and then get snarky when they are asked to leave. :rolleyes: The last cruise we were on this happened about three times. It was quite entertaining to listen to the reasons why those little darlings should be allowed to stay.:p

O' crapola.... that has to mean that we are at Armageddon, Bakincakes is agreeing with me. I am going to book a one way trip to a very isolated pacific island!:D

jc

I think a first has just been reached! Marilyn is standing up for little ole me! :D Thanks Marilyn!:cool:

As far as not procreating... wow... are you related to EFC? Usually, he is the lead on the personal attacks. He seems to have moderator immunity. I think you get that by winning challenges, it makes tribal council much more enjoyable, too!:D

jc

:D :D

ok guys, you can argue about it all you want. and yes, it was a bit of a low blow but this forum isn't about children or not having children, it's about an upcharge for a $14.95 steak. We should try to stay relatively near the topic.....

Certainly looks like some of the folks on here are trying to purposely get this thread pulled. Kind of reminds me of the fuel surcharge thread. As a matter of fact.....similar monikers. Some things sure never change on these boards.

Now what was the topic of this thread.............

I may be wrong on this but isn't there already a cruise line that charges by the item? Isn't that the concept of EasyCruise? and didn't they recently change by raising fares and make some stuff inclusive because they were losing money? Am I wrong on this?

Costs are rising, we understand this! But why nickel and dime?? Why not just bite the bullet and add $25 per person to the cruise fare?

That would certainly be my preference.....

Then don't eat the steak. There are many other selections offered on the menu such as pasta, veal, chicken, salmon, etc. Just because you paid for a cruise does not mean that you are entitled to have everything that you want offered at every meal.

No I'm not an RCI cheerleader but I do have a question; Why is it that when something new is introduced that people automatically assume the company is trying to alienate it's customers and is just out to make money? Is it possible they are offering this to people that would like a Chops-type meal, but cannot afford the $20 cover charge?

Or, is it also possible they have received feedback that some passengers would like to dine at Chops but not everyone in the party likes steak? For example; I don't eat red meat but my husband does. So there could be a dilemna for us if he was in the mood for steak. By offering it in the dining room, more people are satisfied. And by the way, we visit Chops and Portofino's at least once when we cruise RCI. I never have a hard time finding something to eat.

Let's agree to disagree on the whole choice issue. I believe this is about change and some people see it as a bad thing. RCI has every right to add or take away items on the menu.

I'm envisioning the next thread when someone complains that they can no longer order 2-3 of everything on the menu.

Its not just the issue of a piece of meat but more with the precedent that it might set if everybody accepts this. Don't think it would extend to other choices on the menu? Think again. The day that my favorite cruise line starts charging per diem on individual menu items in the dining rooms is the day that I stop cruising altogether. If I have to think about how much extra that bowl of Lobster bisque would cost, or how much we need to fork over for a lobster tail, the whole point of cruising would be gone for me The alternative dining rooms are acceptable to me only because they charge a fixed cover fee for dining there and you are still free to order any item on the menu. As stupid as it sounds (especially coming from an accountant) I would rather pay more for a cruise just so that I don't have to look at prices on a menu.

And believe it or not, those of us who are big on the gym and excercise don't spend all day there. We don't live for the gym. We go to the gym in order to hopefully live a longer and healthier life.

OB the original comment was not really directed at you but our drama queen who wants the gym expanded and so on.

But anyhow, fo some people, food is all they think about, and plan their day meal to meal. and I know a few poeple also who do nothing all day except go to the gym.

To me eating right ( remember I am the anti sugar lady) is more important than anything else but I do not ever focus my life around food. I guess I forgot to add my smiley:eek: :D

It seems that a lot of us here on CC have a favorite past time on a cruise ship... Mine is not the MDR... only eat there a couple of times a cruise... I enjoy a large buffet that is open most of the time and serve many different foods... It is fun for me to go to the buffet... to come and go as I please... eat what I want ... when I want .... It concerns me that the big buffets are a thing of the past... I cruise to relax and have fun...

Its not just the issue of a piece of meat but more with the precedent that it might set if everybody accepts this. Don't think it would extend to other choices on the menu? Think again. The day that my favorite cruise line starts charging per diem on individual menu items in the dining rooms is the day that I stop cruising altogether. If I have to think about how much extra that bowl of Lobster bisque would cost, or how much we need to fork over for a lobster tail, the whole point of cruising would be gone for me The alternative dining rooms are acceptable to me only because they charge a fixed cover fee for dining there and you are still free to order any item on the menu. As stupid as it sounds (especially coming from an accountant) I would rather pay more for a cruise just so that I don't have to look at prices on a menu.

The precedent was set when pax fell over each other to book the "specialty" restaurants. Cruiselines learned that pax would pay for "better" meals. There is limited space in the specialties and pax with small kids may forego them. Offering alternate choices in the MDR will garner more $$ and give pax who might not be able to go to Chops or Portofino the opportunity to purchase upscale foods if that is what they want.

Once the door was open and pax accepted pay for service dining the possibilities were endless.

With cruiselines using more onboard space for things like malls and rock walls they need to get creative with their dining venues. If they can expand using the MDR and not have to build bigger specialty dining rooms, why not?

I foresee lines offering pax dining packages in the future. You will be able to choose your dining preferences. I'm all for it if some packages include wines with dinner, etc. Why not?

I foresee lines offering pax dining packages in the future. You will be able to choose your dining preferences. I'm all for it if some packages include wines with dinner, etc. Why not?

I agree, and I said the same thing a while ago. It wouldn't surprise me if soon you are given the option of paying extra for dining room dining (which will be premium dining), and Windjammers is the included dining spot. It would be simple to implement and it seems more and more people don't like dressing for dinner anyway, so they wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. Or even have the choice unless they want to pay a premium.

If this is, in fact, a reality then RCL (and any other lines that think they can hoodwink us) can whistle a tune and I nor anyone I know will cruise with them again unless they come back down to earth. And if the other lines go along with this, well GOODBYE CRUISING. There are "all inclusive resorts" that can pick up the slack without the multitude of people vying for "first off" the ship. And this "Cruise Critic Message Board executive staff" better let these cruise ships know that we think their newest proposal to get money "stinks," What is this board for otherwise? Can't the "executive staff" ever, ever express the views of the board which, I bet, are against this latest travesty!

Glorya - You're right, the online message boards and polls (all unscientific, of course) so far show very low acceptance for this pay-per-entree-scam.

And customers absolutely should let RCL know in every way possible that they don't want it. That can mean cruising with other lines, a letter-writing campaign to the RCL marketing suits and the C & A bosses, a complaint at the stockholders' meeting, a boycott of onboard revenue, or the always popular wodr-of-mouth campaign: Let other cruisers (and friends considering cruises) know what a deceitful and value-eroding move this $14.95 steak scam really is.

So far, this thread has been viewed more than 40,000 times, and has spawned other threads (including some on other cruise line boards). Cruise Critic deserves kudos for picking up the story itself, and for advancing it to recognition by USA Today.

Along the way, CruiseCritic has resisted the outcry from a few KoolAidKranks and RCL apologists. Those people would have shut this discussion down long ago ... simply because they don't like it.

They don't like customers thinking for themselves, they don't like RCL's public statements being questioned, they don't like ... well, they don't like facts. They absolutely can't stand criticism of RCL going unchallenged. (Fact is, they're used to bullying anyone who questions RCL - what they're NOT used to is having anyone stand up to them. A little education is good for that crowd. :D )

So don't let Fain's groupies intimidate ya! Speak up! And keep speaking up! :D ;)

(And if you really want to frost their flakes, try a different font or color. :) )

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam

Say NO to Fain

I am going to book a one way trip to a very isolated pacific island!:D

jc

Now THAT'S something new that's worth subsidizing!! A lot of us here would kick in $5 a piece to fund that ticket. :D

Did we mention Bon voyage!!!!!

Don't forget to ... well, yeah, actually DO forget to write!! :D

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam

Say NO to Fain

It is too bad that some posters here haven't read the CC interview article with the rep fro RCCL. Even on the FOS, they have not taken away the free piece of meat. Due to the number of menu choices on certain days, they have removed the selection, however, all one has to do is ask for it, and you can get it any night free. All one has to do if they don't want a pay steak, is don't order it. what in the hec is there to rant and rave about?? Nothing else has changed. For you wind bagged blowers here, how is that scamming anyone. Some here are just legends of their own minds, no matter what color font they use.

OB the original comment was not really directed at you but our drama queen who wants the gym expanded and so on.

But anyhow, fo some people, food is all they think about, and plan their day meal to meal. and I know a few poeple also who do nothing all day except go to the gym.

To me eating right ( remember I am the anti sugar lady) is more important than anything else but I do not ever focus my life around food. I guess I forgot to add my smiley:eek: :D

OK, thanks for clearing that up. It just seemed like you knocked me because I posted that I'd appreciate a self serv laundry to wash my dirty clothes. I DO remember that you are the "anti-sugar" lady. That is why I figured that someone who was so in tuned with what she puts into her body would also understand those of us who seem very finatical about getting in our workout time.

BTW, I am very anti-carb myself. I do like steak.<--- I put that in to keep my post in line with Laura's rules for posting to this thread.:D :D

EFC, it doesn't frost flakes when you post in wierd font colors and styles, it just makes your points unreadable. Which is generally a good thing.

I like steak very much, OB. In fact I got home last night and took two USDA prime tenderloins to my backyard kitchen and cooked one to a delightful medium rare and a smaller one to medium for my lovely wife. She doesn't like steak nearly as much as I do, and I try to avoid carbs, but I do admit to giving in to the desire for them on occassion.

Thanks for addressing the kool-aid contingents points... O, I forgot, you failed to do that. Instead you maintained calling names and calling the activity a scam. Gotta give you credit for consistency.:rolleyes:

jc

Archived