$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

We are in a period of transtition in Cruising... The Nickle and Diming of the customer has just begun... Look at the Airlines... Cruising is going that way.... Only the cruise will be in the base price and maybe the buffet...

No one is to blame except you and me... People are not flying as much anymore and the rates keep climbing... Cruising is next... Now they advertise a rate of $650... for a cruise ( an example) and then when you book it the rate has gone up to $950.... ( just an example)

A few years back we could see a cruise price advertised and that was the price you paid... Plus almost everything you could hope for on a cruise was included... Now the advertised price is a come on and then when you arrive on the ship..you have many choices to spend your money...

We have supported the pay as you go dining and it will continue to spread... thanks to you and to me..:(

Please:cool:

I am surprised with all the "choice", and "blame" comments. (Silly of me, I know!)

As a frequent flyer living in Alaska, my choices are 1) Don't fly 2) Put up with no meals or service unless I pay for them, 3)Fly first class 4) Pack a lunch and purchase a beverage at the airport after clearing security.

My habits haven't changed. However, the airlines have certainly reduced their offerings knowing they no longer need to entice us-- since we didn't respond to the "small" changes in service, so slowly the niceties of flight travel have eroded. Competition ended, as so many airlines have gone under or been absorbed by the larger ones that now it is pretty much just a matter of choosing by the schedule, unless you are independently wealthy.

With cruising, I still have some choices. And for me, knowing that the nickel and diming on RCL is getting worse, I will consider other lines when booking that next cruise, where I may not have before; since the nickel and diming is going to eat up any advantages that my C&A or online booking status gives me, unless I cruise many more times. I am not eliminating RCL from future plans, just no longer loyal in the same way.

Have to confess, though, I was heading there anyway, the Oasis direction that RCL is taking is interesting from a technical and engineering standpoint, but not really my style. Decisions like a $14.95 steak as the only steak alternative makes a difference when pricing itineraries.

A lb of salt?!? Sounds delish. I can just see myself drinking gallons of water afterward. Does it taste as salty as it sounds? Can we replicate it on our own? Do you know what type of salt they use?
The salt is regular table salt and although it is salty, it's not as bad as it sounds. I have to admit that I don't use all the salt, just about half of it.

Please:cool:

Somehow, I think you have a misunderstanding---steak is food and that was the topic of the thread. Perhaps other threads would be more to you liking if you don't want to talk about food.:)

JC,

Thanks for the correction. It sure sounds good.

The salt is regular table salt and although it is salty, it's not as bad as it sounds. I have to admit that I don't use all the salt, just about half of it.

Somehow, I think you have a misunderstanding---steak is food and that was the topic of the thread. Perhaps other threads would be more to you liking if you don't want to talk about food.:)

JC,

Thanks for the correction. It sure sounds good.

You mean to say salt and your personal discussion of cooking instructions...:cool:

I read all about the Steak charge before leaving for my cruise aboard Freedom of the Seas last week and it is a fact that you have to pay for the steak if you want it. One poster said that it is still available if you ask for it on the "always available menu". I did this and was told the only steak was the $14.95 steak. So I am unsure what each ship is doing in regards to this but my waiter has been on this ship for quite some time and he would've given us anything he could have.

Just off Freedom yesterday. They offer the NY Strip that is served in Chops as an alternative for $14.95.

Haven't been on the RCI board in some time (getting ready for our 1st Princess cruise) but as a former RCI cruiser I gotta say this is nothing but a foot in the door for RCI. What's next? You can have our "special salad" for an extra 4 bucks? I believe that they will eventually try and have 2 forms of dining on RCI. Buffet and paid. Don't want buffet then be prepared to pay.

I think RCI is in dangerous waters. Their ships have got bigger and bigger and of course the cost has gone up there too. The reason we booked Princess was because we could get a 7 day cruise with 4 stops that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. The Freedom class ships lean towards 3 stop cruises so they can keep you on the ship and squeeze just a little more out of you. The prices are higher compared to other lines and with the economic situation worsening by the day, they better get on the ball. Those big behemouths cannot go out half empty.

I read all about the Steak charge before leaving for my cruise aboard Freedom of the Seas last week and it is a fact that you have to pay for the steak if you want it. One poster said that it is still available if you ask for it on the "always available menu". I did this and was told the only steak was the $14.95 steak. So I am unsure what each ship is doing in regards to this but my waiter has been on this ship for quite some time and he would've given us anything he could have.

This is true also back from Freedom of the seas and there is a charge... but on the other hand we also eat at chopps And I foung the Streaks to be WAY better in there .. but then againthere is a sitting fee for there I beleive it is $20 or 25 can't remember but it is way worth it and remember you can have more than ONE smile.gif

This is true also back from Freedom of the seas and there is a charge... but on the other hand we also eat at chopps And I foung the Streaks to be WAY better in there .. but then againthere is a sitting fee for there I beleive it is $20 or 25 can't remember but it is way worth it and remember you can have more than ONE smile.gif

I have always been under the impression that you can only have one Entree.... In the Specialty Restaurants.... Has this changed?:)

• 5 months later...
I have always been under the impression that you can only have one Entree.... In the Specialty Restaurants.... Has this changed?:)

Just back from the Mariner - pretty sure it's the same for all. Here's the scoop:

1. Always a regular NY steak on the alternative menu (it's now printed on the right hand side at the top of the menu. Even still there on nights where beef is on the main changing menu. Other things include salmon and chicken and a pasta.

2. CHOPS filet was available yes for $14.95 but it is a 10oz filet and done in Chops from what I understood (can't confirm). We went to Chops the second night and it was fantastic. DH wanted the filet one night because nothing else on the main menu appealed to him (including the very thin regular steak that is available every night). It was a treat cause he didn't have any drinks all cruise. He loved every bite and was the envy of the table (most of them)

3. At Chops we could have had as much of anything we wanted - more than one entree sure. There was no way we could have eaten more than one though...10 oz filet? 18 oz T-bone? Not likely going to even get through the one.

Just back from the Mariner - pretty sure it's the same for all. Here's the scoop:

1. Always a regular NY steak on the alternative menu (it's now printed on the right hand side at the top of the menu. Even still there on nights where beef is on the main changing menu. Other things include salmon and chicken and a pasta.

2. CHOPS filet was available yes for $14.95 but it is a 10oz filet and done in Chops from what I understood (can't confirm). We went to Chops the second night and it was fantastic. DH wanted the filet one night because nothing else on the main menu appealed to him (including the very thin regular steak that is available every night). It was a treat cause he didn't have any drinks all cruise. He loved every bite and was the envy of the table (most of them)

3. At Chops we could have had as much of anything we wanted - more than one entree sure. There was no way we could have eaten more than one though...10 oz filet? 18 oz T-bone? Not likely going to even get through the one.

What sides did you get with the steak? I am just curious how the plating takes place. If it is cooked in Chops, I would guess the plating is taking place there. Did he get the sides that the free steak came with, or were the sides enhanced a bit?

• 5 months later...

I just got off Liberty after a B2B. The alternative Black Angus steak was on the menu every night even when the NY Strip Steak was on the rotating menu that night. Also on the menu every night was the $14.95 Chops filet. However the Chops Grille price has gone up from $20 pp to $25 pp, even though Portofino is still at $20.

I agree that the "nickel-and-diming" of RCCL guests is continuing apace and will grow even more rampant on the Oasis. 12 of 22 Oasis dining venues will be fee-based, for example. And the Windjammer is the same size (or smaller according to one waiter last week) on the Freedom class ships than on the Voyager class ships; hundreds of extra guests in the same-size buffet and I imagine the crowds will be even worse on Oasis.

There will likely always be a "free" (no additional charge) dining option on the RCCL cruises, but they will try to make that option as literally uncomfortable and unpalatable as they can in order to encourage guests to use the paid dining venues.

Archived