$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

EFC, it doesn't frost flakes when you post in wierd font colors and styles, it just makes your points unreadable. Which is generally a good thing.

I like steak very much, OB. In fact I got home last night and took two USDA prime tenderloins to my backyard kitchen and cooked one to a delightful medium rare and a smaller one to medium for my lovely wife. She doesn't like steak nearly as much as I do, and I try to avoid carbs, but I do admit to giving in to the desire for them on occassion.

Thanks for addressing the kool-aid contingents points... O, I forgot, you failed to do that. Instead you maintained calling names and calling the activity a scam. Gotta give you credit for consistency.:rolleyes:

jc

JC...........just HOW many carbs do you think are in a nice USDA prime tenderloin steak?? Very few to be exact.

EHC was funny.........at one point on this steak thread........now that he is down to name calling.........his real intelligence is starting to come out.

I don't even think that LauraS..........who is desperately trying to keep this on course........will put up with the drivel very much longer.

Rick

JC...........just HOW many carbs do you think are in a nice USDA prime tenderloin steak?? Very few to be exact.

Rick

FYI:

4 ounces lean beef tenderloin = 189 calories, 10 g fat, 4 g sat fat, 4 g mono fat, 23 g protein, 0 g carbohydrates, 60 mg sodium, 69 mg cholesterol, Vitamin K 0 mcg

Keeping on the topic of Steak

Laura has shown exceptional compassion! Thank you Laura.

Rick, welcome home! I assume you are back from your recent sailing? Did you have a $14.95 steak option on your west coast sailing?

jc

JC...........we have not left yet!! So, I won't have a chance to check out the option of the $14.95 steak charge on the Monarch of the Seas till next Friday.........coming back home on November 2nd.....riding her all the way thru the Panama Canal..........to say "Good bye"!!:D

Maybe the Monarch will hold off till we are in International Waters to try the $14.95 steak option.........when we don't have a fimiliar port to head off to the local steakhouse..........for some of that high protein, 0 carb meat.

Hey Laura..........we are sticking to the "no sauce" $14.95 steak issue!! :D

Rick

FYI:

4 ounces lean beef tenderloin = 189 calories, 10 g fat, 4 g sat fat, 4 g mono fat, 23 g protein, 0 g carbohydrates, 60 mg sodium, 69 mg cholesterol, Vitamin K 0 mcg

Keeping on the topic of Steak

I do realize that this is a healthy option for dinner, by carbs I mean I sometimes just have to make an excellent wild mushroom/mango risotto which is really yummy, or the lord help me a baked potato with lots of butter. So, last night, we had steamed peas, steamed asparagas, and fresh sliced tomatoes. I really considered making Canarian wrinkled potatoes with Mojo sauce that is awesome. I first discovered those during a two week land vacation at Xmas a couple of years ago on Tenerife. Then last fall on our TA, I found a crappy little gift store that our RCI excursion took us to that had cookbooks and I had to buy two books one for the Canarian potatoes and Mojo and another for their awesome tomatoe soup. I need to make that soup before all of the edible tomatoes are gone. Note to self for the weekend.

TW, there are very few $14.95 wines that I like, although I will occassionally by a box of the Bota boxed wines in the Cab or Syrah that are tolerably drinkable when you want a glass of wine, but don't want to open a nicer bottle. Being the wine snob that I am, most of my wines start in the mid 20s and go painfully upwards from there. I wonder why there isn't more BMWing about the Spanish Rioja's that are on the RCI wine list for $40 that I was drinking while in the Canary Islands for $4 to $5? Or the Cava that was 1.60 euros which is far superior to the Korbel for about $30. It is revealing to me how this one aspect of food and dining on a cruise is viewed 40,000 times (28,000 by me) but these other outrageous profit centers for RCI and all of the other cruiselines on which I have sailed are just ignored, and treated as if they are completely different matters. They aren't.

jc

Mmmmm. you are making me hungry! Mojo sauce is great! I love it on my shrimp, on the grill. Even thought the STEAK is low in carbs, I eat alot of fish, seafood & poultry instead.

Is this mojo sauce home made? And do you eat it on STEAK? Or do you prefer STEAK sauce?

And would you eat this in the MDR? For $14.95 :D

( trying painfully to stay on topic)

I bet a great glass of wine would help me decide this:D

Canarians make a ton of different Mojo sauces. They basically make them out of any herb or vegetable or fruit. The ones that I ate there were of the green and the red variety. These were served in virtually every restaurant that we visited during our stay. The green is basically parsley, garlic, salt, olive oil and white vinegar. It is great, you make it, and it keeps in the fridge for about 6 weeks. I don't have the exact proportions with me here, but I usually make a double batch when I make it. I take two bunches of parsley and pluck the leaf from the stems and then put them in the food processor with everything except the olive oil. Then I run the cuisinart for several minutes until it is completely blended, then I slowly add the olive oil which emulsifies beautifully. The red is similar but with red peppers. The problem with the red, which I like a lot, is that the recipe I have includes bread, which makes me think it won't keep very long, so I have only made it one time and consumed it within a week.

After the first batch with the green sauce my DW started using it on everything. I mean everything! After about a week of that it caused her some gastric distress. It is excellent on steak, chicken, seafood, vegies, etc. She nows eats it with more restraint. We both love it and all of the friends we have had over have raved about it.

I would love to see this in the MDR and it would make even the inedible free steak taste better!

jc

is the parsley mojo similar to a chimichurri sauce? I'd like to try it so please post the details whenever you have time!

Will RC charge more than $14.95 to include the sauce with the steak? ;)

terri........thanks for keeping us on topic of the $14.95 steak.

JC..........the recipe please.........the green one.....without the bread!!:D

Rick

THis is a little ditty I wrote, and it stays well within the topic of STEAK...

For a price,

amid the gloom,

there is steak,

in the main dining room.

Could you eat it with a broom?

Would you eat it on the moon?

Not with a broom,

not on the moon,

no I won't pay,

in the main dining room!

Would you eat it with some sauce?

With Mr. Fain, who is the boss?

No, no sauce,

not with the boss,

not with a broom,

not on the moon,

I will not pay,

in the Main Dining room!

An ode to those,

who love their meat,

who have since learned,

you pay to eat.

No sauce, no boss,

no broom, no moon,

I will not pay, no how, no way

so To Mr Fain,

could you please refrain,

from causing my wallet,

to feel more pain! :D

THis is a little ditty I wrote, and it stays well within the topic of STEAK...

For a price,

amid the gloom,

there is steak,

in the main dining room.

Could you eat it with a broom?

Would you eat it on the moon?

Not with a broom,

not on the moon,

no I won't pay,

in the main dining room!

Would you eat it with some sauce?

With Mr. Fain, who is the boss?

No, no sauce,

not with the boss,

not with a broom,

not on the moon,

I will not pay,

in the Main Dining room!

An ode to those,

who love their meat,

who have since learned,

you pay to eat.

No sauce, no boss,

no broom, no moon,

I will not pay, no how, no way

so To Mr Fain,

could you please refrain,

from causing my wallet,

to feel more pain! :D

Very will put..........with a tip of the ol' hat to Dr. Seuss!!

Thanks jaxsonbrownie!!;) :D

That tells the story of why RCCL should not charge for steak in the MDR...........better than any I have seen so far!! That needs to go to RCCL's upper management. They might understand that type of logic.

Rick

OK, thanks for clearing that up. It just seemed like you knocked me because I posted that I'd appreciate a self serv laundry to wash my dirty clothes. I DO remember that you are the "anti-sugar" lady. That is why I figured that someone who was so in tuned with what she puts into her body would also understand those of us who seem very finatical about getting in our workout time.

BTW, I am very anti-carb myself. I do like steak.<--- I put that in to keep my post in line with Laura's rules for posting to this thread.:D :D

OB, you know us O's can get a bit cantankerous sometimes. And steak is my fav too, with a side dish of creamed cauliflower. YUM

I haven't read this thread in a while, but I know the last time I was reading there was some uncertainty as to whether or not the Black Angus steak was still available on the "always available" portion of the menu without an extra charge. I can tell you without a doubt that it is gone. It did not appear on the menu once during this particular sailing. The only steak that was available was the $14.95 Chops Grille steak. The only exception was the last night when NY strip steak was offered as one of the entrees. I'm sorry if this has already been reported, but there was just too much to read to catch up.

Well I just heard about the $14.95 steak 2 days ago and thought I should check out this thread. Little did I know that it would have taken me all day to read it all. Sorry I read the first 6 pages and then the last 3. I know I will choose to not order the steak when we go in Feb. if this is still an option. A few years ago we went to one of the specialty restaurants and I thought it was crazy to spend $20 more when you can have all you want to eat in the MDR for no extra charge. I was very happy with our meal. It was a dinning experience though not just having a good steak. If I want a "better" steak I will spend the extra $5.05, or 10 if it has gone up, and have a very enjoyable night.

Cindy

We are in a period of transtition in Cruising... The Nickle and Diming of the customer has just begun... Look at the Airlines... Cruising is going that way.... Only the cruise will be in the base price and maybe the buffet...

No one is to blame except you and me... People are not flying as much anymore and the rates keep climbing... Cruising is next... Now they advertise a rate of $650... for a cruise ( an example) and then when you book it the rate has gone up to $950.... ( just an example)

A few years back we could see a cruise price advertised and that was the price you paid... Plus almost everything you could hope for on a cruise was included... Now the advertised price is a come on and then when you arrive on the ship..you have many choices to spend your money...

We have supported the pay as you go dining and it will continue to spread... thanks to you and to me..:(

Wrinkled Potatoes (Papas arrugadas)

I only cook as many as I want to eat. You want the smallest potatoes you can find. New red are good, yukon gold are good and those tiny purple ones my favorite. Put in a big flat bottom pot (don't use nonstick). Cook at a low boil and just barely cover the potatoes. Add a lot of sea salt. The Canarians use sea water for this. I usually use a dutch oven sized pot 12" diameter and pour about 3 small handfulls of sea salt in the pot. After they cook about 20 minutes, drain almost all of the water turn the heat to low and gently shake the pot rolling the potatoes until the water is gone and the pan and the potatoes are coated in crystallized salt and the skins are wrinkled.

The Mojo green

1 garlic bulb peeled and the cloves separated

1 bunch parsley

1 teaspoon salt

200ml of oil

1 bunch parsley (leaves only remove the stems)

1 teaspoon cumin

75ml of white vinegar

Mix everything in the blender except the oil.

Then slowly add the oil.

I prefer a good food processor over the blender. When it is done the end result is very green and should be fairly thick. It is fairly firm when refrigerated but quickly liquifies when placed on the hot potatoes or a hot steak. When I make it I normally make a double batch.

It should keep if refrigerated several weeks.

This is not high cuisine food, as the Canary Islands are not agriculturally rich, but let me tell you these potatoes and Mojo are addicting. Enjoy.

jc

jc,

Thanks for the recipes. The potatoes are very similiar to a dish from upstate NY called salt potatoes. They are small potatoes, usually white creamers, that are packaged with 4 lbs of potatoes and 1 lb of salt. The potatoes are put in water along with the salt and boiled until the potatoes are done.

They become coated with the salt as some of the water boils away. They are served with butter. These are summertime favorites in the Endicott, NY area. That along with spiedies. (Marinated meat cooked on skewers and served on sliced Italian bread.)

I will certainly try your recipes. One question on the mojo recipe. Parsley is mentioned twice. Do you use 2 bunches of parsley or one? Thanks again.

Archived