$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

A Chops NY strip was never an everyday item. As a previous poster stated, the sirloin steak was still there and this was added.

I don't see anything falling apart here.

Seems there is still a bunch of speculation. Does someone have an actual copy of the menu to post here.

I beg to differ with you - sirloin steak did not appear as an alternative option on any of the dinner menus on last week's FOS sailing. The ONLY steak alternative was the one available for $14.95. In fact, when I read through the menu on the first night, I remarked to my husband that unlike on Celebrity where steak is an always available option, on FOS it was only available with a charge.

We were on the Liberty of the Seas 8/16-23 and there was no steak offered on the alternative menu. The alternative steak was gone: only a pasta, fish, and chicken available. The $14.95 was not an option either. Maybe they are testing this menu change on the Freedom.

[quote=lysolqn;16096994- I did not purposely leave out complete information and have no bone to pick about "it" or anything else for that matter.

I'm sorry...........but I just have to do it...........is that bone in or bone out........with the Chops steak??! :D :D :D :D

Rick

A Chops NY strip was never an everyday item. As a previous poster stated, the sirloin steak was still there and this was added.

I don't see anything falling apart here.

Seems there is still a bunch of speculation. Does someone have an actual copy of the menu to post here.

It was also stated in several posts that on some ships the $14.95 steak was the only steak alternative. The "free" steak alternative was no longer an option. Check out posts 14, 32, 71, 79, and 80. Doesn't seem to leave much doubt...... Post #80 that they just removed the steak alternative period was also interesting. Guess it will be more of a "choice" if the steak is gone for a bit and then the up-sale steak is rolled out??

I'm sorry...........but I just have to do it...........is that bone in or bone out........with the Chops steak??! :D :D :D :D

Rick

Definitely bone out; bone in was an additional $10. Honest...I've never lied to you before, have I?

Glad to see someone around here has a sense of humor! The rest of the cavalry is all too eager to kill the messenger because they don't like the message. (LOL)

It was also stated in several posts that on some ships the $14.95 steak was the only steak alternative. The "free" steak alternative was no longer an option. Check out posts 14, 32, 71, 79, and 80. Doesn't seem to leave much doubt...... Post #80 that they just removed the steak alternative period was also interesting. Guess it will be more of a "choice" if the steak is gone for a bit and then the up-sale steak is rolled out??

Ok, I love RCCL and have never had an issue with any of their cruises, policies, and offers of alternative dining with surcharges,etc. But this one bothers me. I have alot of food allergies and the alternative steak on the menu has always been a safe option for me. I have to forgo much in restaurant dining at home and would hate to be relegated to plain chicken and fish on cruise ships, too. Steak is the one thing I can count on to still have flavor without seasonings. :( If this becomes standard on all their cruise ships, it is the first thing they have ever done that may actually alter are future cruise plans. I understand they have to make cuts somewhere and generate more revenue, but I , personally, don't think this is the place to make it.

I would not purchase the steak in the dining room if it cost extra but my husband would. It is the same way for soda if you want it you pay for it.

Maybe the cruiseline shoud start charging for the flowrider, skating rink, rock climbing walls, hot tubs, pools. I do not use any of the products so I wouldnt mind them charging for it at all.

I agree with the poster about the the thread where people brag about ordering 2 or three appetizers, entrees, desserts, etc. I am certain that in the future there is going to be extra charges for doing this. Why not a charge for room service.

It would not bother me if the fare for the cruise was getting on the ship and your room and you get charged for the extra's you want. That way I am not paying for things I do not use.

I would not purchase the steak in the dining room if it cost extra but my husband would. It is the same way for soda if you want it you pay for it.

Maybe the cruiseline shoud start charging for the flowrider, skating rink, rock climbing walls, hot tubs, pools. I do not use any of the products so I wouldnt mind them charging for it at all.

I agree with the poster about the the thread where people brag about ordering 2 or three appetizers, entrees, desserts, etc. I am certain that in the future there is going to be extra charges for doing this. Why not a charge for room service.

It would not bother me if the fare for the cruise was getting on the ship and your room and you get charged for the extra's you want. That way I am not paying for things I do not use.

Ordering what you want, room service, and the other included amenities are what the cruise experience is all about. Once the cruise industry gets to the point where everything is charged extra, I'll have a whole different attitude about booking cruises - there are many other travel options out there. Don't cut your own throat, RC.

I am with you here! Let them charge for all the "extras" they are putting on these new bemouth ships if they want to generate income..... and they should have plenty of support for these changes. Think of the increased "choices" they would be offering us! :D :D

I have a couple of questions as a European about to take their first RCI cruise (and another booked in January).

1. What is a NY Strip Steak? Is it a special cut or is it just large? Where I live we can get a 3 or 4 course meal for $14.95 (including a bottle of wine). Seems expensive just for a steak.

2. Is it always clear on the ship what you have to pay for and what you do not have to pay for. On all cruises I have been on everything is included apart from drinks. I am concerned that we will get a shock at the end of the cruise if we have ordered things not knowing they were extra. Do we always have to sign if it has to be paid for or do the costs just mount up?

I can understand that some people feel it is ok to pay extra for some things. That is ok if it was made clear at the time of booking when we were comparing prices with other cruise lines. We went for RCI because it looked like good value compared with other lines but now I am finding out that is probably not the case.

I still love cruising!!! how ever at $14.95 for a steak do you get seconds on that price? because someone on here said people brag about 2nd's and 3rd's! I would like to have 3rd's as there are three of us and then we could all eat for 1 price!! $14.95 for 3 people what a deal:D

Ordering what you want, room service, and the other included amenities are what the cruise experience is all about. Once the cruise industry gets to the point where everything is charged extra, I'll have a whole different attitude about booking cruises - there are many other travel options out there. Don't cut your own throat, RC.

The all-inclusive nature of cruising began to slip away about two decades ago when the industry as a whole realized it was neglecting a treasure trove of potential passengers, and decided to start marketing to the 95% of the public that had never taken a cruise. To acomplish this they had to necessarily lower prices and broaden the appeal of what was, up until that time, the widepread perception that cruising was a stodgy vacation for older, wealthier people.

If you compare what it costs to cruise today to what it cost to cruise twenty years ago (especially when taking into account the value of the dollar twenty years ago compared to what it is today), cruise fares are way lower today than they used to be for ships that offer a lot more than never-ending food, shuffleboard and a lounge singer. That leaves the cruise industry with a significant gap between income and expenses, and it doesn't take someone with a degree in economics from Harvard to know that the difference has to come from somewhere. For the cruise industry, that difference is made up in something called onboard revenue. As operating costs increase (and they always do) and cruise prices remain competitive, revenue generated onboard must increase to keep the industry afloat. Thus, the ever-increasing number of charges for "extras" that used to be included in the price of a cruise.

I have a couple of questions as a European about to take their first RCI cruise (and another booked in January).

1. What is a NY Strip Steak? Is it a special cut or is it just large? Where I live we can get a 3 or 4 course meal for $14.95 (including a bottle of wine). Seems expensive just for a steak.

2. Is it always clear on the ship what you have to pay for and what you do not have to pay for. On all cruises I have been on everything is included apart from drinks. I am concerned that we will get a shock at the end of the cruise if we have ordered things not knowing they were extra. Do we always have to sign if it has to be paid for or do the costs just mount up?

I can understand that some people feel it is ok to pay extra for some things. That is ok if it was made clear at the time of booking when we were comparing prices with other cruise lines. We went for RCI because it looked like good value compared with other lines but now I am finding out that is probably not the case.

Answers?

1. I'm not a beef expert, but yes it is a specific cut. I believe it is from the loin, boneless, and more elongated than the rounder Delmonico, which I believe is from higher up on the rib. The NY is considered one of the better steak cuts. I'm sure you have the same cut, just a different name.

2. As far as I can think, if you are not asked for your Seapass card, you will not be charged. Biggest mistake newbies make is to think those welcome aboard drinks are free, and then get asked for their card. Pretty much the only charges are for soda, speciality coffees and ice cream, booze. Of course, excursions, speciality restaurants, etc., but that is clearly spelled out.

I still love cruising!!! how ever at $14.95 for a steak do you get seconds on that price? because someone on here said people brag about 2nd's and 3rd's! I would like to have 3rd's as there are three of us and then we could all eat for 1 price!! $14.95 for 3 people what a deal:D

I have read just about all the replies and i have to say this was the best one at the same time secretly feeling the same way :p

Threeredheads just posted a review of Freedom of the Seas (same sailing as the one I reviewed) and noted the following:

"-Food-this was our 6th RCCL cruise and the first time we were disappointed in the dining menu. If you wanted steak, you were charged $14.95! A lot of vegetarian meals. We were much happier with the selection from the Windjammer"

NOW will all you RCCL cheerleaders, doubters and nay sayers finally accept the fact that the only steak option on the dinner menu in the main dining room on the August 24, 2008 sailing of Freedom of the Seas was only available at a cost of $14.95????????? Sheeeesh!!!!!!!!

How do you justify charging more and providing less? :D

I guess your call for a boycott means we won't be seeing you on any Royal Caribbean cruises in the future.

As for charging more and providing less, I suppose you haven't bought a "pound" of coffee, a candy bar, or a box of cereal over the past years.

Many prices are increasing. A quart of milk, a gallon of gas, a restaurant meal. Such is inflation. (But when that restaurant sneakily cuts the portion, or adds a "butter surcharge" or a "clean napkin fee," that is different than an aboveboard price increase ... it is dishonest sleight of hand. ) Cruise lines aren't alone in this, but NO amount of ducking and dodging by

the Royal Caribbean Kool Aid Krowd will change the fact that this line IS engaging in such shoddy tactics.

;)

And oh my, hon, you really should read things more carefully, you know ..... far better than an across-the-board boycott:

"As for finding another cruise line, perhaps. My plan, though, is to do what ALL Royal Caribbean customers ought to consider: Retaliate. :)

In our past cruises, I never once brought alcohol or soda aboard. It seemed tacky, but also fundamentally unfair to Royal Caribbean. They were giving a fair product and in exchange were entitled to my soda and bar business.

But as they're now gouging and cheating, the rules change. Royal Caribbean will not again profit from beverage service with our account. ;)

My wife and I frequently booked excursions through the cruise line, too. This was partly for convenience and dependability, but also - as silly as this sounds - to be decent customers. Really. But that ends now, too. The souvenirs from the shops end as well; anything I need will be bought on shore.

We'll continue to tip significantly-better-than-average because the staff is innocent in all of this. But as for the cruise line, it can expect me to play a new onboard game: "Nickel-and-dime Royal Caribbean." Just how low can that disembarkation statement go? :D"

I believed you from the first time that you posted this...........and will say that this is just a start of things to come.

On another thread, I mentioned that RCCL has some things in the works, and within the next 6 months......we will start to see a different shape of how RCCL will be in the future.

Sorry..........can't say anymore.........but when things like this start, if need be.....check it out before blasting the messenger!!

Rick

I believed you from the first time that you posted this...........and will say that this is just a start of things to come.

On another thread, I mentioned that RCCL has some things in the works, and within the next 6 months......we will start to see a different shape of how RCCL will be in the future.

Sorry..........can't say anymore.........but when things like this start, if need be.....check it out before blasting the messenger!!

Rick

And I believe you, my NOOTS friend. I am just glad that my cruise on Jewel is in January. Hopefully that will beat the worst of the 6 month changes. After that, I think there will be a lot more research in looking for the next cruise. Searching for cruiselines that are consistant with the product I fell in love with 10 years ago will take time....... :)

And I believe you, my NOOTS friend. I am just glad that my cruise on Jewel is in January. Hopefully that will beat the worst of the 6 month changes. After that, I think there will be a lot more research in looking for the next cruise. Searching for cruiselines that are consistant with the product I fell in love with 10 years ago will take time....... :)

Amen to that........my NOOTS friend!!

Rick

Threeredheads just posted a review of Freedom of the Seas (same sailing as the one I reviewed) and noted the following:

"-Food-this was our 6th RCCL cruise and the first time we were disappointed in the dining menu. If you wanted steak, you were charged $14.95! A lot of vegetarian meals. We were much happier with the selection from the Windjammer"

NOW will all you RCCL cheerleaders, doubters and nay sayers finally accept the fact that the only steak option on the dinner menu in the main dining room on the August 24, 2008 sailing of Freedom of the Seas was only available at a cost of $14.95????????? Sheeeesh!!!!!!!!

lysolqn - Thanks for your valuable heads-up. Don't take the nonsense from the Kool Aid Krowd seriously - for whatever reason, there are some folks here who exist to defend a multibillion-dollar corporation against its middle-class consumers. :rolleyes:

Interesting info from RCL's last 10K - revenues for the first half of '08 rose (against comparable '07 period) across the board. But the revenue from fares grew far more quickly, so much that the percentage of income from onboard sales actually dropped from 28.4 to 27.7 pecent. At the same time, RCL was laying off a batch of managers.

So it's not hard to imagine the conference rooms at Caribbean Way being abuzz with chatter about how to squeeze more $$ out of folks on board.

Personally, I'd far prefer a straightforward fare increase. Chipping away at the core product is a guaranteed way to lose out in the long-term, and hurt the customers in the short term.

Remember this is just the beginning. They will be adding more and more extra cost options to the menu and soon I believe there will be a included menu and a extra cost menu.

I am always against extra costs, but at least the main dining room was not touched until now.

Hopefully this will backfire on them.

My protest, I am going to cancel the June 2009 Mariner cruise and pick something else on another line.

You are exactly correct. As long as (some) passengers don't see anything wrong with this nickle-n-diming and willingly shell out more and more money for "good" food, it'll go on & on & on & on...........surcharge for this, surcharge for that.........:cool:

It's starting to sound an awful lot like Easy Cruise. :( My guess is that it won't be long before the steak at no additional cost will miraculously and quietly disappear from the menu.

2P.P1

Not surprising! If RCI cruisers want the biggest shiny new thing on the ocean, you're going to have to pay for it.

First Celebrity cuts the inside passage from cruises, then RCI cuts the Panama Canal partials and now you pay for steak......makes you wonder what's next as RCI's debt load is not shrinking.

Archived