$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

I am platinum, almost diamond on RCCL. However after our Thanksgiving cruise (I am bringing 12 people), I am no longer cruising with them. I have recently posted that I found Carnival food much superior to RCCL. While the ships may not be as gorgeous, I am willing to compromise appearance for the better quality food and not be nickeled and dimed to death. I agree all of these things are a choice, and the choices we make will determine the actions of RCCL.

I have to agree with Merion (heaven help me) about add ons like Portofino or Johnny Rockets. Can you even imagine the rise in costs from 98 to 2008? I still maintain that cruising is the best bang for the buck....because you have so many different choices. Stay on the boat, go to Windjammer and never buy anything or tip anyone and you still got a great deal. Personally, we like to blow it out and do as much as we feel like spending and doing. This board needs to lighten up. Seriously.

Chuck

First of all - at one time RCCL had a steak on the alternative menu - I think they called it Ranch steak - Ya needed an AX to cut it. Then they "improved it" and called it a Top sirloin - better but don't try it with dentures. The latest iteration ( Feb 2008) was a Sirloin steak maybe 8 oz and was acceptable.

If you went to Morton's or Smith and Wollensky I guarantee you wil pay in excess of $35 for a NY Strip and that does NOT include anything but water.

If I can get a $35 steak for $15 - I would be glad to do it for a meal or two.

I always do Chops or Portofino and consider it well worth the add on.

What one pays in a restaurant has nothing to do with the issue at hand. The fact is they are starting to charge for eating in the dining room and that has always been part of the cruise price.

The big question here is - what next? Are people just going to roll over and take it or will they say enough is enough.

I don't normally post on these boards, I just read and chuckle. Some posts are just fine, some are hilarious and some are just plain ridiculous but all are fun to read. $14.95 for steak on a cruise ship, now that is ridiculous. Not that I've frequented either restaurant but paying to eat in Portofino's or Chops, to me, is again ridiculous. While on Celebrity, last December, we were invited and did eat in Muranos which I assume is a comparable restaurant. The service and food was excellent, but in my opinion no better than it was in the main dining when we started cruising in 1986. We have cruised every year since then and hope to cruise for many years to come but to pay for food on a cruise ship, especially in the main dining room, is something that I hope we never have to do.

I wonder what "choices" we'll have in the future?

Care to guess?

How about shrimp cocktail?

Lobster?

Specialty deserts?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: -- do not like this trend at all.

Choice - pay bathroom or bucket??? :D :D

I don't normally post on these boards, I just read and chuckle. Some posts are just fine, some are hilarious and some are just plain ridiculous but all are fun to read. $14.95 for steak on a cruise ship, now that is ridiculous. Not that I've frequented either restaurant but paying to eat in Portofino's or Chops, to me, is again ridiculous. While on Celebrity, last December, we were invited and did eat in Muranos which I assume is a comparable restaurant. The service and food was excellent, but in my opinion no better than it was in the main dining when we started cruising in 1986. We have cruised every year since then and hope to cruise for many years to come but to pay for food on a cruise ship, especially in the main dining room, is something that I hope we never have to do.

Over the last decade the cruise industry has successfully conditioned passengers to think nothing of paying extra for specialty restaurants if they wish to enjoy the level of food and service that not too long ago was the expected norm on a cruise. I may be wrong, but I think the cruise lines are going to have a much more difficult time conditioning passengers to pay extra for particular items on the dinner menu that are more appealing or better tasting than what is offered without charge.

Why not pay the extra and go to Chops?

I for one (and obviously am the only one) am glad to see the $14.95 option on the MDR menu. The food quality has declined over the years and with the economy we are in it will continue to decline. Folks want to eat 5 star food and pay 1 star pricing. I understand! However, I think it is a great idea to offer the "included" food and then offer "upgraded" food at an additional fee. I love steak yet Mr. Ski does not. I can sometimes talk him in to going to Chops or Portofinos but he usually doesn't want to go. He doesn't care about the fee but he doesn't want to give up his time in the dining room with the tablemates. He would go to the dining room every night if all they offered were sardines and crackers so that he wouldn't miss his tablemates. I gladly would pay the $14.95 to have a nice steak (Chops quality) in the dining room so that we can both enjoy dinner. I would get a good steak and he (we) could be with the tablemates. Other than the food, we love RC. I'm sure somebody out there will say "Go to another cruiseline". Well, we have never sailed anyone but RC and Mr. Ski has no desire to try anyone else. For about the last 3 years, every time we fill out a comment card at the end of a cruise, we suggest an "upgraded" menu as an option. Our suggestion though is make it something that would have to be "opted" and paid for at time of final payment. If they would do that, then it would keep it "economical" for everyone yet allow "upgrades" for those that would prefer higher quality and are willing to pay for it.

The big question here is - what next? Are people just going to roll over and take it or will they say enough is enough.

I would like to think we would stand up and say enough is enough (I know I will), but from some of the posts here, I'd say there are too many people that are OK with the nickle-n-diming and paying extra and more & more surcharges. What a shame.

I for one (and obviously am the only one) am glad to see the $14.95 option on the MDR menu. The food quality has declined over the years and with the economy we are in it will continue to decline. Folks want to eat 5 star food and pay 1 star pricing. I understand! However, I think it is a great idea to offer the "included" food and then offer "upgraded" food at an additional fee. I love steak yet Mr. Ski does not. I can sometimes talk him in to going to Chops or Portofinos but he usually doesn't want to go. He doesn't care about the fee but he doesn't want to give up his time in the dining room with the tablemates. He would go to the dining room every night if all they offered were sardines and crackers so that he wouldn't miss his tablemates. I gladly would pay the $14.95 to have a nice steak (Chops quality) in the dining room so that we can both enjoy dinner. I would get a good steak and he (we) could be with the tablemates. Other than the food, we love RC. I'm sure somebody out there will say "Go to another cruiseline". Well, we have never sailed anyone but RC and Mr. Ski has no desire to try anyone else. For about the last 3 years, every time we fill out a comment card at the end of a cruise, we suggest an "upgraded" menu as an option. Our suggestion though is make it something that would have to be "opted" and paid for at time of final payment. If they would do that, then it would keep it "economical" for everyone yet allow "upgrades" for those that would prefer higher quality and are willing to pay for it.

You actually get it. Many on this thread do not.

People have been complaining about the food for how long, how it has gone downhill, etc. Most have said they would gladly pay more $$ for better food. Now here is the possible start of a trend that will give you the best of both worlds, however some are not satisfied. Gee, a choice whether to pay for better food or not. What a concept. I guess people would just rather have RCI charge a bunch more up front, and tell you what to eat. I guess it would be just terrible to see Maine Lobster, some nice fish, jumbo shrimp, steaks,etc etc. for an additional price. Bring on more choices.

People have been complaining about the food for how long, how it has gone downhill, etc. Most have said they would gladly pay more $$ for better food. Now here is the possible start of a trend that will give you the best of both worlds, however some are not satisfied. Gee, a choice whether to pay for better food or not. What a concept. I guess people would just rather have RCI charge a bunch more up front, and tell you what to eat. I guess it would be just terrible to see Maine Lobster, some nice fish, jumbo shrimp, steaks,etc etc. for an additional price. Bring on more choices.

If the Real Reason for the $14.95 steak is for more choices to the pax, thats fine. We can all decide whether we will pay or not for something above the norm in the food chain!

Answer me this! If they use a POWDER mix with water for Ice Tea, Lemonade, Fruit Punch, How much more does it cost to make, one or the other? They are NOW charging for Fruit Punch in the Main Dining room! It is not a higher quality drink over ice tea or Lemonade! These items have ALWAYS been free in the dining room, now I don't have a FREE choice. Am I missing something? Like I said before, this is only the begginning of what's in store for the FUTURE! To me food is no issue with me, ( I don't cruise to eat) and eat very little, therefore, you would NEVER see me pay additional for any type of food on a Cruise! I could live on salads!

Enjoy your Steak!

Let me share with you what happened to us at chops.

As we were seated we were offerred

a glass of water, or

spring water, or

a name of a bottled water we never heard of.

When our final bill came we were charged for the spring water, we never thought to ask that it was a charge item. Now it didn't break us, but we were surprised. Guess we should have read the menu closer.

Later

I'm sure your additional choices.........aren't far behind and on the way.;) What is the saying.......be careful what you ask for.......

Just to clear up any misunderstandings, steak is generally offered once in the dining room on a 7-day cruise. Other nights they might offer Prime Rib or Filet of Beef among other choices on the menu. The regular NY Strip was on the menu on Saturday night, I ordered it. The Chops alternative was on the menu every night including Saturday night last week on Freedom.:)

People are talking a lot about choice. From what I've been reading, though, it sounds like this "Chops quality" steak is slowly starting to REPLACE the "lesser quality" free steak that has previously been available as an alternate selection nightly. In this case, RCCL isn't offering customers a choice between the lower quality item or the premium one - they're essentially saying, if you want a steak, it'll cost you. Doesn't sound like much of a choice to me!

If both options continue to be offered, then you can talk to me about choice, and the debate can rage whether this is a good idea or not. If what's happened on the Freedom, though, is the start of a fleetwide implementation, then all talk of choice is moot. You don't get the option to pay or not pay, if the only item on the menu that appeals to you on a given night has a price tag beside it.

And honestly, while I love ethnic food, and so am excited by the addition of curries in the DR, asian foods at WJ, etc., many people don't. When so many options on a given evening have an ethnic twist, come with sauces, add-ins, or other items that may be disagreeable, the plain steak and salmon options were a guaranteed way for someone with simpler tastes to have a nice, reliable meal.

If the Real Reason for the $14.95 steak is for more choices to the pax, thats fine. We can all decide whether we will pay or not for something above the norm in the food chain!

Answer me this! If they use a POWDER mix with water for Ice Tea, Lemonade, Fruit Punch, How much more does it cost to make, one or the other? They are NOW charging for Fruit Punch in the Main Dining room! It is not a higher quality drink over ice tea or Lemonade! These items have ALWAYS been free in the dining room, now I don't have a FREE choice. Am I missing something? Like I said before, this is only the begginning of what's in store for the FUTURE! To me food is no issue with me, ( I don't cruise to eat) and eat very little, therefore, you would NEVER see me pay additional for any type of food on a Cruise! I could live on salads!

Enjoy your Steak!

I am not really that much of a steak lover. If some people are going to be upset that they removed a 3rd rate steak, and replaced it with one you pay for, so what.

My point is people have been asking for better food in the DR and have also expressed a willingness to pay for it, Most have alsways stated, raise the fares. Why raise fares when not everyone wants it. Give people a choice!! If this is a start of something, then so be it.

The industry is going to keep changing, for better, or worse, it just depends who you are, and your preferences.

There also a choice of cruise lines one can go on as well, if they don't like how one or another is run.

I have no clue as to your soft drink question. I don't drink it anyway.

Maybe they will come up with a "meal upgrade card", kinda like the soda card. If you pay a bit extra, you can get the upgraded choices! That would almost work for me! I know my husband will get the $$ steak, if there isn't another on the menu. He is very picky, he eats chicken (with NOTHING on it) and the like, but prefers steak!! On our Disney cruise, he did get 2 "alternate" steaks every night!! But he didn't leave any behind! Some one mentioned the extra portions (as I read in another post), as long as the people are eating the extra.....what is the harm?! If they order extra and eat a bite from everything, that is such a waste!!!

People are talking a lot about choice. From what I've been reading, though, it sounds like this "Chops quality" steak is slowly starting to REPLACE the "lesser quality" free steak that has previously been available as an alternate selection nightly. In this case, RCCL isn't offering customers a choice between the lower quality item or the premium one - they're essentially saying, if you want a steak, it'll cost you. Doesn't sound like much of a choice to me!

If both options continue to be offered, then you can talk to me about choice, and the debate can rage whether this is a good idea or not. If what's happened on the Freedom, though, is the start of a fleetwide implementation, then all talk of choice is moot. You don't get the option to pay or not pay, if the only item on the menu that appeals to you on a given night has a price tag beside it.

This is how I feel, too. I have never complained about their food in the past, not once. Their alternate steak has always been just fine with me. With my allergies, I have counted on it. This is NOT a good trend.... :( If I wanted Chops or Portifinos, that's where I would go.

I don't like what I'm hearing. I'm scheduled to go on the Freedom in October 2009 with my mother, and while we are both seasoned cruisers, this is our first cruise with RCCL. She is very picky and usually orders the alternative steak offered on most cruises that we've been on at least 4 of the 7 nights. If she sees that this is going to cost $15 each time, she is not going to be a happy camper.

I know this sounds petty, but we may have to reconsider a cruiseline that is doing this and instead go back to Holland America or Celebrity.

I guess people would just rather have RCI charge a bunch more up front.

Now YOU got it. :rolleyes: RCI is no different than any other business. If it costs more to provide the expected level of service, then you raise your rates accordingly. I say enough of this sneaky tactic where they're making the consumer feel guilty for expecting quality.

2P.P1

Now YOU got it. :rolleyes: RCI is no different than any other business. If it costs more to provide the expected level of service, then you raise your rates accordingly. I say enough of this sneaky tactic where they're making the consumer feel guilty for expecting quality.

2P.P1

Do you think there is something wrong with my moral compass? I feel not a shread of guilt for expecting quality...... :D :D :D

Also, it is not just $15 - it is $15 plus the cost of the meal you already paid for included with the cost of the cruise (figure at least $30-35).

I can see what is coming soon. For breakfast you can have oatmeal for free, but if you would like an egg it will cost $5 more. RCCL has already figured out a way to charge more for hamburgers. :mad:

Do you think there is something wrong with my moral compass? I feel not a shread of guilt for expecting quality...... :D :D :D

Nor do I...........I expect quality when I buy a car, I expect quality when I buy clothes, I expect quality when I buy travel.

Archived