Pool Access for Children on Canada/New Englad Cruise

Hello friends,

While we are currently drydocked, we are planning our next cruise for the end of next year. We will have a 9 month old baby by then. We feel the Caribbean Sun may be too much for a small infant so we are considering a Canada/New England cruise. Our only hesitation is for our older children who will be 9 and 12 by then. I am sure it would be too cold to swim on deck. Are children allowed to swim in the solarium for these particular cruises?

Last year I cruised Alaska on the Serenade and yes Children used the solarium pool. After all no one can expect them to swim in the outer pools in those temps. Dont know about your specific cruise but I should think it would be the same.

Last year I cruised Alaska on the Serenade and yes Children used the solarium pool. After all no one can expect them to swim in the outer pools in those temps. Dont know about your specific cruise but I should think it would be the same.

Were these children "allowed" to swim in the solarium or did parents just break the posted rules of no one under 16 allowed?

I dont know what the official rule for the cruise was or currently is. I used the solarium alot and did not see anyone complain and I dont see how anyone can expect kids to swim in the outside pools in those temps. Bottom line, I am not sure of the official rule for those north criuses all I could offer is my experience.

On cold weather cruises (Alaska, the Baltics), RCCL has family times where children are allowed to swim in the solarium. On our Rhapsody Alaska cruise, there were 2 times per day that kids were allowed in. And parents were fairly good about observing those times (okay one time they had to be reminded by the pool patrol). That way the kids could have their pool time, and those of us that wanted adult only time could still have that as well.

Were these children "allowed" to swim in the solarium or did parents just break the posted rules of no one under 16 allowed?

When we were on Serenade 2 summers ago (mid June), the posted chlildren allowed swim time in the solarium was from 12 to 4 each day. (But I have to say, even it was a little chilly!)

Just check your Compass for daily "Family Swim". On our Pacific Coast cruise in 2007, the times varied: it was either two smaller blocks of time during the morning/late afternoon or one longer block of time in the middle of the day.

We found it was best to carry your Compass with you to "prove" to passengers that there was indeed "family swim" in the Solarium. Since there were no posted signs, being able to show your Compass to some of the more vocal grumblers made for a more enjoyable family swim.

If you are going on a Voyager class ship, they do not have retractable roofs in the solarium, so it would be too cold to swim there as well - we did Canada/New England on both Voyager and Explorer - never went near the pool on either trip.

We will be on Jewel next week for the TA from Harwich to Boston. If we encounter any cool or inclement weather, I am sure that they will allow children to use the solarium pool for a certain number of hours on such days. When we did crossings in the past I was impressed at the way in which families observed the time constraints, used the pool during the hours when it was allowed and packed up and left without any prompting when their time had elapsed. I am looking forward to many relaxing hours by the solarium pool as we cross the Atlantic.:)

Archived