How long is to long for saving chairs

Canadianhey!

When you go to the pool and there is a towel or book on the chair and no one is using it, how long do I have to wait until I can remove the said items and use the chair. I can remember one chair that held a book for the whole day. Is there not a policy on saving chairs? So how long is to long????:confused: :confused: :confused:

In my opinion, it depends on the time of day. I think it's fair to hold your chair while you go to have lunch.

But an unoccupied chair at say 10:00AM, I would consider moving their stuff after 30 minutes. That's assuming everything else is taken. On my last Constellation cruise, the pool guys just took the stuff back to their towel station and held it.

Don't you just hate it when there is a nice line of towels and books holding empty chairs. One very bad area is next to the Aqua Spa. There are so few lounge chairs with pads, that some people hog them for hours.

Sad part is that the books aren't worth reading, so it is not like you can sit and start reading a good novel. I seriously think that you could get just about the whole book read before someone came to claim it. And I will bet that everyone on this site will say it is not them.

When you go to the pool and there is a towel or book on the chair and no one is using it, how long do I have to wait until I can remove the said items and use the chair. I can remember one chair that held a book for the whole day. Is there not a policy on saving chairs? So how long is to long????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Celebrity has staff at the pool area in order to take care of these issues. If you ask them to assist you they will be happy to address your concerns and intervene based on their protocols. They wear distinctive yellow shirts.

The pool butlers have been great at helping us find deck chairs without even being asked.

Usually, they'll grab a stray chair here, and stray chair there, and plop them down together for us. :)

That is nice to hear. I on the other hand have walked around the deck up to 4 times have never been offered any help on any of our cruises. We usually end up one deck up where no one wants to save chairs.:rolleyes:

That is nice to hear. I on the other hand have walked around the deck up to 4 times have never been offered any help on any of our cruises. We usually end up one deck up where no one wants to save chairs.:rolleyes:

Oops! I'm sorry; we usually opt for chairs that are a deck up from the pool, not right next to it.

Those right by the pool are usually scoped out and wearing magazines, gym shoes and paperback novels by 7am, and we're NOT into confrontations!:D

My opinion and I believe the general ship rule is you don't 'save' a chair. You use it and only leave it and leave your book/towel to enjoy the pool/hottub, hit the restroom or get a snack and immediately bring it back. I disagree with saving the chair while having lunch. I'm afraid I definite that as 'hogging' spots around the pool. You don't go to your room, socialize somewhere else or go eat breakfast or lunch. You use the chair while you are at the pool and take your towel/book when aren't staying.

The point is, the chair isn't your chair to save, it's to be used while you are at that venue and then given up when you leave, even if you plan to return- we are all going to return sooner or later.

Denny

Celebrity has staff at the pool area in order to take care of these issues. If you ask them to assist you they will be happy to address your concerns and intervene based on their protocols. They wear distinctive yellow shirts.

I had an issue one time on a Royal Caribbean ship (Freedom of the Seas). My husband has Sarcoidosis (an immune system disease) and cannot be in the sun. He gets up early to make sure he has a lounge chair in the shade, but not too far from where I will be sitting (in the sun). He doesn't just put his stuff down and leave...he stays there. Anyway, while on FOS, I asked him to accompany me to sign up for a spa treatment. We were gone for about 15 minutes. When we returned, all of his stuff was gone. Turns out a woman (who was not in the seat but her "stuff" was) told a pool attendant the chair had been empty for over 30 minutes, so they took her word for it and removed my husband's stuff. I was furious.

I suppose if you want a seat in a prime location and nobody is presently sitting there, you can just go up to a pool attendant and tell them it's been empty for such and such a time and they automatically remove that person's stuff?

...ummm....Having seen actions that have made me chuckle, it has been my observation that the pool staff errs on the side of tolerance rather than intolerance.

15 minutes at 7am is way too early in the day for a bump, and I doubt the chairs are all reserved at that time of day, if that is what you are speaking of.

10-11am, well then, the pool areas are pretty well occupied by that time and you get what you get.

I on the other hand have walked around the deck up to 4 times have never been offered any help on any of our cruises.

Yeah, the pool butlers and other staff aren't very good at reading ones mind. What usually works is to ask for help.

I've moved books to sit down in a claimed chair. I would move if someone came back. So far, no one ever has. I usually stay 30-45 minutes. That's enough sitting time for me.

I have done this as well (and would move if they came back), and I usually stay about that same amount of time (I can't sit still much longer than that on a cruise it seems! :p). No one has come back in the time I've been there, either.

The general rule is that any pool chair that has not had a warm body in it for 30 min. or longer is fair game.

One good way to determine this is by asking those nearby if a saved chair has had anyone in it for the past hour. If they say nobody's been there for at least that long, then you should feel free to remove the personal items, hand them to the pool attendant, and enjoy your pool chair.

If someone comes back to demand the chair, just ignore them. Chair hogs don't deserve a moment of your attention. If they persist in bothering youi, just tell them to leave you alone or you will call for security. They'll usually just go away.

I am amazed how the cruiselines refuse to properly address this issue. If they cannot provide a chair for everyone on deck then they will always have a problem.

Hey cruise lines try this your patrons would love you:

Hang an inexpensive dial timer on each lounger.

When someone gets out of their chair they can set the timer for the maximum time say 1/2 hour ( doesn't matter exactly how much time but the ship should make it clear what is permitted)

If the person does not return within the half hour the pool attendent should be allowed on request to remove any items abandoned. These items can be placed at the lost and found right under a huge sign explaining the chair rules for those who don't think the rules apply to them.

While there is time left on the dial the original occupant can return at anytime to his/her chair.

Clear rules that are fair and enforceable with a means of recourse.

Problem solved.

I am amazed how the cruiselines refuse to properly address this issue. If they cannot provide a chair for everyone on deck then they will always have a problem.

Hey cruise lines try this your patrons would love you:

Hang an inexpensive dial timer on each lounger.

When someone gets out of their chair they can set the timer for the maximum time say 1/2 hour ( doesn't matter exactly how much time but the ship should make it clear what is permitted)

If the person does not return within the half hour the pool attendent should be allowed on request to remove any items abandoned. These items can be placed at the lost and found right under a huge sign explaining the chair rules for those who don't think the rules apply to them.

While there is time left on the dial the original occupant can return at anytime to his/her chair.

Clear rules that are fair and enforceable with a means of recourse.

Problem solved.

I love this idea, but I can't see it happening. The chair hogs will find a way around everything, because they think the rules only apply to everyone else, and not to them.

I love this idea, but I can't see it happening. The chair hogs will find a way around everything, because they think the rules only apply to everyone else, and not to them.

You are correct there will always be those who will cheat any system. however I think the vast majority only do it because it is so easy to get away with it, so many others are doing it, and there is spotty enforcement of any ship rules.

kind of like speed traps. people do slow down when they know someone is enforcing the rules. Of course there will always be idiots who need a big ticket before they learn.

You are correct there will always be those who will cheat any system. however I think the vast majority only do it because it is so easy to get away with it, so many others are doing it, and there is spotty enforcement of any ship rules.

kind of like speed traps. people do slow down when they know someone is enforcing the rules. Of course there will always be idiots who need a big ticket before they learn.

LOL - you're right. In that case, I second your motion with your proposal to Celebrity - let us know how you get on....:D :D :D

I've moved books to sit down in a claimed chair. I would move if someone came back. So far, no one ever has. I usually stay 30-45 minutes. That's enough sitting time for me.

We do this too, if someone comes back soon, I will get up, but if its been awhile we stay put.:p

My opinion and I believe the general ship rule is you don't 'save' a chair. You use it and only leave it and leave your book/towel to enjoy the pool/hottub, hit the restroom or get a snack and immediately bring it back. I disagree with saving the chair while having lunch. I'm afraid I definite that as 'hogging' spots around the pool. You don't go to your room, socialize somewhere else or go eat breakfast or lunch. You use the chair while you are at the pool and take your towel/book when aren't staying.

The point is, the chair isn't your chair to save, it's to be used while you are at that venue and then given up when you leave, even if you plan to return- we are all going to return sooner or later.

Denny

;) I agree completely with you Denny. The chairs are to be used while enjoying the pool, shade, or sun, etc, ONLY!!!

Archived