Dressing up!!

Jaketess

Any advice please!!!!!!!!!!

We are thinking of taking a Princess cruise to Alaska and also do their land tour.

However, we are a couple who have never taken a cruise before and one of the reasons is 'dressing up' for dinner. We both wear casual clothes and don't mind putting on some smart clothes for the evening but do not fancy 'cocktail' dresses and suits for evening attire.

Does Princess cruises goers wear these type of clothes in the evening? If so, would we be better choosing a different cruise line?

Please help

Yes most people do dress on the formal evenings- some go all the way with gowns, tuxes, etc. to impress the others & some like myself throw on a jacket which allows me into the dr. After diner we proceed to the show lounge to hold seats & both my wife & I take turns to go back & get into our comfortable clothes. A lot stay dressed for the evening - their choice of course. :rolleyes:

On casual nights you'll see everything form sweat pants, jeans, dockers to people wearing suits & ties in the dr's or the buffet area where you can wear anything at anytime, excluding bathing suits - although they do require shirts & shoes. ;)

On the land portion of the tour, casual clothes will be fine for everything.

A 7-12 day cruise will have 2 formal nights. Almost all men will wear at least a sport coat and tie in the dining room on those nights. Women wear whatever "fancy" clothes they feel most comfortable in. By the way ... you'll see that this is a controversial topic that creates a lot a excitement and hysteria from others. Personally, I wear ties and jackets all the time at work and wouldn't mind if there were no formal nights. But, I also understand why others enjoy dressing up. To each his own ... and you can always eat at the buffet (which doesn't have the same dress code) on the formal evenings. Enjoy your cruise.

Note that if you choose to eat at the buffet on formal evenings the food will not be of the same selection or quality as the dr. You'll be missing out on the better food if you choose not to somewhat comply to their suggested dress code.

We both wear casual clothes and don't mind putting on some smart clothes for the evening but do not fancy 'cocktail' dresses and suits for evening attire.

Does Princess cruises goers wear these type of clothes in the evening? If so, would we be better choosing a different cruise line?

You should consider NCL. No need, or requirement, to dress up - casual clothes are fine. A typical seven night NCL cruise will have two optional nights for those that like to dress up -- but you won't be turned away from any venue in casual clothes.

We have sailed on Princess twice and my husband will not wear a tie or jacket.He wears a dress shirt and dress pants and never a problem.To the fashion police-no flames or comments on this,I know what the Princess dress code is!

Note that if you choose to eat at the buffet on formal evenings the food will not be of the same selection or quality as the dr. You'll be missing out on the better food if you choose not to somewhat comply to their suggested dress code.

Sorry but I rerspectively disagree. On my last 5 cruises on Princess we have eaten in the buffet on formal nites and the buffets have improved big time. Now we do not get lobster at the buffet and after seeing some pics of the lobsters in the dining room I do not think I am missing a thing. Anyway the meals served in the buffet are Pork Tenderloins, Beef Wellington, Salmon, all kinds of fish dishes, etc. i could go on and on. Princess has really improved the buffet in my opinion.

So you do have some choices of where you want to dine on formal nite.

marilyn

And why no flames for the "Me Me Me -- This is MY vacation, WE paid for it, Why show respect for others? HUH"! Of Course -- just because YOU say SO! Oh others CAN be as disrespectful as YOU can! Sometimes I enjoy it.

We have sailed on Princess twice and my husband will not wear a tie or jacket.He wears a dress shirt and dress pants and never a problem.To the fashion police-no flames or comments on this,I know what the Princess dress code is!

You'll be fine on Princess. Our first Princess cruise we were not interested in going "formal" so we ate in the buffet on formal nights and I didn't feel like we missed a thing.

Choose Princess and enjoy your cruise!!!!

Sometimes we dress in formals, sometimes we don't. We have not been turned away from the dining room in non-formals and chances are you won't be either. The fact is everyone does NOT dress up, but I don't pay enough attention to give you a ratio of how many are vs. who aren't. It is suggested attire--not mandatory. If you eat in the dining room, you would not be alone if you're not in formalwear.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE--what ever line you choose. I wouldn't turn away from Princess if formals is your issue though. :D

Sorry but I rerspectively disagree. On my last 5 cruises on Princess we have eaten in the buffet on formal nites and the buffets have improved big time. Now we do not get lobster at the buffet and after seeing some pics of the lobsters in the dining room I do not think I am missing a thing. Anyway the meals served in the buffet are Pork Tenderloins, Beef Wellington, Salmon, all kinds of fish dishes, etc. i could go on and on. Princess has really improved the buffet in my opinion.

So you do have some choices of where you want to dine on formal nite.

marilyn

Oh I do agree that the buffets have improved tremendously in the last 5 years BUT it's still lacking when it comes to being compared to the dr. I know it's not possible to serve the food in the same manner when they prepare it in bulk. All I'm saying is that you're shortchanging your self if you forgo the dr for the buffet on formal night in the food quality & preparation, not to mention the desserts. To each his own.

Oh I do agree that the buffets have improved tremendously in the last 5 years BUT it's still lacking when it comes to being compared to the dr. I know it's not possible to serve the food in the same manner when they prepare it in bulk. All I'm saying is that you're shortchanging your self if you forgo the dr for the buffet on formal night in the food quality & preparation, not to mention the desserts. To each his own.

That is right. To each his own. So we shall agree to disagree.:D But I will add that on formal nites in the buffet they do have Beef Wellington which is also served in the dining room. also at the buffet the waiters are all dressed in black tux's, the tables are set beautifully. It truly is not bad at all . I guess for me anyway after spending many cruises in the dining room just sometimes it is the same stuff that is served. Maybe the ships that I have been on has not gotten the new menu's. Who knows.

Marilyn

That is right. To each his own. So we shall agree to disagree.:D But I will add that on formal nites in the buffet they do have Beef Wellington which is also served in the dining room. also at the buffet the waiters are all dressed in black tux's, the tables are set beautifully. It truly is not bad at all . I guess for me anyway after spending many cruises in the dining room just sometimes it is the same stuff that is served. Maybe the ships that I have been on has not gotten the new menu's. Who knows.

Marilyn

I saw the beef Wellington at the buffet on our last Dawn cruise & it did look good.

And why no flames for the "Me Me Me -- This is MY vacation, WE paid for it, Why show respect for others? HUH"! Of Course -- just because YOU say SO! Oh others CAN be as disrespectful as YOU can! Sometimes I enjoy it.

My husband certainly does not consider it disrespectful to dress nice but not too formal. Far more disrespectful was the couple we sat with on one of our cruises who dressed to the "9's" every night and was always at least 15 minutes late for dinner every night,then would complain that their wine that was waiting for them was too warm!They did nothing but complain about the whole cruise but they sure looked nice-her dripping with diamonds and him in his tux. Give me a nicer couple and I don't care if they are a little casual.

Laura

I think one thing to keep in mind is that we are all giving our OPINIONS and what happens on the ship is up to the discretion of the maitre'd. Personally, I have not seen anyone wearing "sweat pants" in a dining room. I have seen men in just shirts and ties on formal nights and they are by far the minority. I have also seen men in shorts get turned away on casual nights.

So dress how you wish, but be prepared with alternative venues should your dress not meet expectations.

On the recent cruises I have been on, formal nights have definitely been more casual. I'm not implying that no one is dressed up; just less so. I usually bring a pair of dressy black pants and throw in a few dressy tops to change off. Takes up very little room and fits in just fine. I have also worn the same top to both formal nights (horrors). Men usually wear at least a sport jacket, but I have also seen many nice dress shirts with slacks. Don't worry about it--you will be just fine on Princess. Have a wonderful cruise! :p

I did note on my Princess cruise to Alaska, the formal nights were less dressy than other ships I have sailed on. In fact, I'd say tuxes were the minority. The majority of men had shirt/tie but no coat. The ladies were in dressy clothes but definitely not what I consider formal. On other nights, I even noted jeans in the dining room. The entire cruise was casual.

Jaketess,

Please don't let anyone (on this forum or otherwise) dissuade you from taking a Princess cruise just because you don't want to participate in formal night. We've done several (6) Princess cruises. Sometimes we "dress up" for formal night; sometimes we don't. On those formal nights when we're not formally dressed, we eat in the buffet. Princess' buffets usually serve at least some of the same dishes available in the dining room that night. Sometimes we go to the buffet even if it isn't formal night; we just didn't see anything on the posted dining room menu that struck our fancy for dinner. I've rarely (if ever) selected something from the buffet that I would categorize as "bad" or of "poor quality". I've gotten things I just didn't care for, but that's happened in the dining room too. And there's certainly a wide variety of food items to choose from in the buffet. If you don't like an item, go try something else.

And by the way, you won't be the only ones in the buffet for dinner; there are always lots of other people who dine in the buffet for dinner.

I have seen everything in the dining room on formal nights from the most lovely gowns & tuxes to white dress shirts & ties w/o jackets and Sunday go-to-church dresses. I think if the effort is made to look presentable then there is no reason for you to feel uncomfortable in the dining room on formal night.

Getting dressed up for what Princess passes off as lobster anymore isn't worth it unless you just like getting dressed up.

IF the OP decides to give formal a try, keep in mind a tux can be rented online and it will be waiting in your room (with 2 shirts and all the accessories and shoes if desired) - then just left in the room when you depart. Makes packing (for the man anyway) a lot easier!

Actually there are some that prefer the buffet over the dr. The buffet seems to come closer to home cooking then the dr and my Mom and Dad prefer that kind of food over what is served in the dr. It all comes down to preference.

However, we are a couple who have never taken a cruise before and one of the reasons is 'dressing up' for dinner. We both wear casual clothes and don't mind putting on some smart clothes for the evening but do not fancy 'cocktail' dresses and suits for evening attire.

To answer your question about whether Princess passengers wear dresses or suits for evening attire on formal nights, the answer is, "Yes; the vast majority do." However, as others have said, you will probably (but could possibly not, depending on the Maitre D) be allowed into the dining room casually dressed but you will be in the minority.

One of the things that's special about formal night is the ambiance it creates when people are all dressed up. It's hard to describe but it really is a different atmosphere, and those who dress down are a discordant note. Princess asks respectfully that passengers observe the dress code for the enjoyment of all (this is paraphrased as to what is actually in the Cruise Answer Book). It's a request, not a requirement, and most passengers respect that request which has nothing to do with the "fashion police."

If you do not wish to get dressed up, the buffet does have very good food and you can eat at your own pace and take as much of each dish as you want. There are some appetizers and entrees that do not do well on a buffet table so you won't find them there, but there are a wide variety of dishes.

When I was on the CB in May they had most of the same desserts as the dining room. I often would be too full right after dinner for dessert but would stop in to Cafe Caribe (the evening buffet) and have a dessert later -- many times 3 or 4 of these were right off the dinner menu.

Archived