How do you find out the "single supplement"?

fishinglady

With my coming March retirement, I'm considering a "solo" cruise, as most of my friends and family can't do longer cruises and I want to do a 12 or 14 night one. I've started to read this board (and am encouraged by all the positive experiences), and see the references to single supplements, and some being only 125% or 150%. How do you find these? When I price cruises on the cruise lines websites, the price for 1 just seems to be almost the same as for 2 passengers...

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

With my coming March retirement, I'm considering a "solo" cruise, as most of my friends and family can't do longer cruises and I want to do a 12 or 14 night one. I've started to read this board (and am encouraged by all the positive experiences), and see the references to single supplements, and some being only 125% or 150%. How do you find these? When I price cruises on the cruise lines websites, the price for 1 just seems to be almost the same as for 2 passengers...

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Hi:) almost the same as 2? Many times you are paying for 2

(less taxes)

When I price a cruise I book through the cruiseline...I go to

the Celebrity website and if I find a cruise I want I put in the

date, and when it says how many I put 1.

It will break it down for you and e.g.

600.00 per person.....dbl occupacny....so that would

be 1200.00....less taxes....add in fuel fees.

Celebrity charges double for a solo.

From everything I have read HAL and some of the high

end luxury lines charge less for solo.

I would suggest calling them directly or if you prefer,

a TA who specializies in cruises might help as well.

Go to a local travel agency and grab the brochures from all the cruise line's you're interested in booking. Most brochures will indicate what their single supplement is. FYI, most will be 200%, with Carnival offering their lowest inside cabins for 150%. Some itineraries on HAL will have SS of 175% to 190%. All of Crystal's cruises, with the exception of the world cruise, have SS starting at 125%.

You can also look for 2 for 1 sailings. On those, you'll only pay the first person fare rather than double. I did this for a Regent cruise and only paid one fare with no supplement.

When I sail on Seabourn, they offer different single supplements depending on (1) the itinerary (2) how far you book ahead and (3) how many singles have already snapped them up. There are a limited number of cabins on this line for "guaranty run-of-ship" cabins, meaning you are guaranteed a cabin, but you don't know which one, usually until you get on the ship. Of course on Seabourn, they are all outside "suites"! If I'm lucky, I can snag a 125% supplement, which for this luxury line is a deal.

Also, websites such as Holland America will price out the single supplement for you, if you go through the booking procedure and put in one person, just to find out how much it will be.

Also, if you have a good travel agent, they can usually find one for you, sometimes a better supplement than you can find yourself. The reason I deal with Seabourn directly is, their supplements are the same across the board, whether a travel agency calls them, or I call them.

Jane

check out the thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=458054&page=30

It's a thread where we solos post good deals we've found. That's how I found a 9-day transatlantic on NCL Gem last December OCV for under $500 :eek: . That's the best I've ever found, but there are some decent deals.

Do you know how to 'subscribe' to a thread? so you're notified when there's a new reply? oh, it's not on this screen, but look for 'thread tools' and select subscribe then select daily or immediately, etc.

You've absolutely come to the right place. Also check out the 55+ thread (I'm assuming you're over 55 since you're retiring :p ).

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
check out the thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=458054&page=30

It's a thread where we solos post good deals we've found. That's how I found a 9-day transatlantic on NCL Gem last December OCV for under $500 :eek: . That's the best I've ever found, but there are some decent deals.

Do you know how to 'subscribe' to a thread? so you're notified when there's a new reply? oh, it's not on this screen, but look for 'thread tools' and select subscribe then select daily or immediately, etc.

You've absolutely come to the right place. Also check out the 55+ thread (I'm assuming you're over 55 since you're retiring :p ).

Nancy

Nancy,

I can't get that link to work...says I can't access it because it is in your login. Can you send the HOME link for that area please?

Thanks!

On Carnival's web site..

1) Select the cruise that you want (ship and date)

2) Scroll down to "Do you have a fare code? Click here" and click here

3) Change "Number of Guest:" to 1

4) Select CONTINUE

5) This is the only location that will show the 1A cabin which is about 150%

all the other cabin types are 200%.

-Mark

Nancy,

I can't get that link to work...says I can't access it because it is in your login. Can you send the HOME link for that area please?

Thanks!

Mona K,

The new link is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Archived