Another Quick Sky Review!

fmira001

Let me first say that this was our first cruise of any kind! Our trip was the one that was diverted to Cozumel and Key West; thanks to Hanna!

Overall, this cruise didn't meet our expectations!

Pros:

• The entertainment was awesome! Tim (comedian) was hilarious and the adult-only game show the last night was a blast. Matt (Cruise Director) did a great job!
  • Room stewards were very attentive and courteous.
  • Cagney's was very good. The wait staff in that restaurant was fantastic! Worth the extra money!

Cons:

• The eating arrangements are unacceptable. Out of the 6 dining options there were 3 upcharge speciality restaurants. The other 2 were the Palace and Crossings which both had the exact same menu each night. And the last 1 was the Garden Cafe (buffett), which was totally substandard. If you're expecting fresh seafood, great looking desserts, or nice presentations...you won't find it on this ship.
  • Getting off and back on the ship in both Cozumel (tendering) and Key West (docked) was out of control. It must have taken us two hours to get off the ship in Key West and we were only there from 1:30 to 7:00. In Cozumel, we tendered to the concrete dock and waited about 45 minutes for our tour to take off. Once our tour was over and we headed back to the dock for tendering back to the ship, we waited on the same concrete dock for over an hour in 95+ degree weather with zero shade. I saw a few medical personnel helping the elderly and young ones. We almost felt like swimming back to the ship!
  • The pools were way to small for 2000 plus people on this ship!
  • Embarkation was very smooth, but getting off the ship and through customs was a mad house. We felt extremely rushed to get off the ship and thru customs. Customs agents were getting on to us for not moving fast enough through the lines!
  • And lastly, be prepared to be nickled and dimed to death. If you want to play bingo you can, but be prepared to pay a min of $43 or max of $129 to have your best shot at the jackpot. Eventhough, you're paying $10 a day for gratuities everything you pay for has an added gratuity tacked onto it!

All in all, we'd like to believe that there are better trips and ships out there and for us, it may be just a matter of trying others until we find the one that suits us best. One word to the wise, don't select this ship as your first trip!

Hope you still had a good time. Have cruised several different cruise lines - Most of your complaints would be valid on any of those. Always a wait when boarding, a wait when tendering. Been in the heat and it is no fun. NCL has one of the quickest boarding processes if any cruise lines we have been on. The issue of the "free" restaurants serving the same food, you will find this on other cruise lines. The freestyle cruising gave you the option of dining on formal nights in one restaurant or casual in the other (at least that is how ours worked), an added plus to those who don't desire to dress up. The other cruise lines you will be assigned a restaurant, table and dining time, the food will be the same. Yes, there is always the buffet available. Hope you don't let this keep you from cruising again. Try another cruise line - every ones tastes are different. NCL is not my top choice, another might work out better for you.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your first cruise more, but maybe you can use this one to make an educated decision on another cruise. For instance, maybe you would prefer a ship which is more formal (2 dress up nights) or maybe you would prefer a ship with traditional assigned seating. Also, tendering is often a problem, I try to avoid it when I can --- I know your itinerary was changed, but it still gives you some information to go on. Of the other items on your list, I have been on most of the mainstream lines and nickle and diming is part of cruising--- you aren't forced to buy any extras and the revenue keeps the cruise fares down, whihc pleases many passengers. Most experienced cruisers learn to just ignore what they don't want to buy. Also, ships always have the same menus in the main DRs when there is more than one, although the menu changes from night to night. Most ships also have extra charge specialty restaurants now, but no one is forced to go there. We sailed the NCL Gem in June and enjoyed our cruise, but we did think the food was somehwat below most of the other lines (our opinion only, of course.) Princess is our usual 1st choice and does a lot more with their buffets, with a theme for each lunch and dinner, so you might prefer that. Anyway, I hope your next cruise is more enjoyable!!

Always a wait when boarding, a wait when tendering. Been in the heat and it is no fun.

No, really... I was on this cruise also & have cruised consistently since my first cruise (on NCL) in 1989. This was the biggest fiasco I have ever seen from tendering. An almost 2 hour wait to get back on the ship is not normal & having the ship leave port 45 minutes before the last tender makes it back to the ship is a little crazy. This may not have been all NCLs fault, but it was not addressed well by them.

This cruise was one of those- had great potential, but was lost by managment.

This was the biggest fiasco I have ever seen from tendering. An almost 2 hour wait to get back on the ship is not normal & having the ship leave port 45 minutes before the last tender makes it back to the ship is a little crazy.

Do tell what happened to that tender full of passengers; are you saying the Sky actually left them in port?

I accept that you were not thrilled with the Sky for your first cruise.

She was our first cruise too, and got us completely hooked not only on cruising, but also on Freestyle.

In preparation for your next cruise, it's good to keep a few things in mind:

- the service charge / extra gratuity works this way: Those who serve ALL on the ship are part of the tip pool. Those who only serve SOME on the ship (bartenders, kid's club, butlers, concierge, spa) are not part of the tip pool. This is why the auto-gratuity is added to those surcharges.

- Customs is a government agency, and the cruiseline are at their mercy. If customs agents are giving you a hard time...that's not related to either Sky, or to NCL. It may happen on any cruiseline.

- I'm surprised that for someone who has never been on any cruise, that you had an "expectation of fresh seafood, great looking desserts and nice presentations". I don't eat seafood, but have always thought the problem with cruising is that the desserts look TOO good.... dang desserts!!! :(

- I'm not sure that I'd consider a charge for Bingo to be "nickle & diming to death". Yes it's expensive....but that's "Fiving & Tenning" to death!!!!!!! :eek:

Good luck on your next cruise. Remember that even on NCL, Sky is one of the older ships and is not a sister-ship to the Dawn, Jewel, Pearl, Star, Jade or Gem! (which are more or less sisters to each other).

There are more factors involved here. The Sky does not normally port at Key West and Cozumel so I am sure the last minute arrangements to divert to these ports were a factor in things being a little disorganized. I would take these ports over Nassau and Freeport anyway.

Bingo has always been expensive. We sat after a trivia game years ago and heard what NCL was charging for bingo. That was right after my two sons were personally introduced by the cruise director as they were 2 of 3 children onboard our best ever Leeward cruise (smaller ships are so cool...) We left as soon as we heard the prices. Not a factor as it is totally optional and I never have brought it up in a review.

Never seen fresh seafood on any buffet on any cruise line that we have been on. I wouldn't expect it either. Jumbo shrimp on departure on our all time LEAST favorite cruise which was on Disney is the most seafood I have seen on a buffet, but it was certainly not fresh. Disney is all hype and no substance.... believe me before you pay a premium price. Have I been honest enough here?

Cruise ship pools are always small. I usually never use them, except on Celebrity where the older crowd didn't utilize them. They are good for taking a quick dip in when you get hot, nothing more. I don't expect any ship to have an olympic sized swimming pool when the cabins we have been in are not much bigger than a walk-in closet.

Guess cruising is not for you. It is not for everyone who expects a land-based experience. You can't be the price per day on a cruise for the level of service, entertainment and food that is included. I don't work for CLIA either.....

Also...

Customs agents and port personnel are not a factor under the control of NCL. The most polite in that department have been in Port Canaveral and Tampa based on our Florida departures. NCL chooses not to sail from those ports, so you have to deal with what is in place in Miami. Why NCL ignores these ports for departures is beyond me...but that is a different subject.

Let me first say that this was our first cruise of any kind! Our trip was the one that was diverted to Cozumel and Key West; thanks to Hanna!

Overall, this cruise didn't meet our expectations!

Pros:

• The entertainment was awesome! Tim (comedian) was hilarious and the adult-only game show the last night was a blast. Matt (Cruise Director) did a great job!
  • Room stewards were very attentive and courteous.
  • Cagney's was very good. The wait staff in that restaurant was fantastic! Worth the extra money!

Cons:

• The eating arrangements are unacceptable. Out of the 6 dining options there were 3 upcharge speciality restaurants. The other 2 were the Palace and Crossings which both had the exact same menu each night. And the last 1 was the Garden Cafe (buffett), which was totally substandard. If you're expecting fresh seafood, great looking desserts, or nice presentations...you won't find it on this ship.
  • Getting off and back on the ship in both Cozumel (tendering) and Key West (docked) was out of control. It must have taken us two hours to get off the ship in Key West and we were only there from 1:30 to 7:00. In Cozumel, we tendered to the concrete dock and waited about 45 minutes for our tour to take off. Once our tour was over and we headed back to the dock for tendering back to the ship, we waited on the same concrete dock for over an hour in 95+ degree weather with zero shade. I saw a few medical personnel helping the elderly and young ones. We almost felt like swimming back to the ship!
  • The pools were way to small for 2000 plus people on this ship!
  • Embarkation was very smooth, but getting off the ship and through customs was a mad house. We felt extremely rushed to get off the ship and thru customs. Customs agents were getting on to us for not moving fast enough through the lines!
  • And lastly, be prepared to be nickled and dimed to death. If you want to play bingo you can, but be prepared to pay a min of $43 or max of $129 to have your best shot at the jackpot. Eventhough, you're paying $10 a day for gratuities everything you pay for has an added gratuity tacked onto it!

All in all, we'd like to believe that there are better trips and ships out there and for us, it may be just a matter of trying others until we find the one that suits us best. One word to the wise, don't select this ship as your first trip!

It does appear you were not prepared for what cruising is all about. Some of your negatives were legit, not liking the buffet is a matter of opinion but something that is shared by many. Buffets are buffets, what else can anyone say? They are made for those who just want a quick meal and are not meant to be gourmet. I am one that frequents them less all the time. I agree they leave a lot to be desired. All cruise lines offer the same menu in their 2 main dining rooms. This is not a policy of NCL only.

Cost of Bingo is out of line,way out of line, that is why we just simply do not play. There is no one forcing us to take part in the game. As for being nickel and diming, you have overstated the gratuity policy. Yes, you pay $10 per day, but you are not charged 15% on top for everything. Just like a resort (especially in parts of Fl and the Caribbean) 15% is added to your bar bill and spa treatments. These people are not part of the tipping pool. Almost all lines have the $10 a day charge, many are higher. The lines that have not adopted the $10 a day but still use the recommended min amount for tips suggest more than $10 per day.

Tendering can be a total nightmare, no one can argue: that is why many of us just wait until the crowds die down before we even attempt to get off the ship. I can't believe it took you 2 hours to get off the ship, but I wasn't there, I don't know. I have waited up to 45 minutes or so a few times.

Rather than suggest people not cruise this ship, remember this was your first cruise, you probably need to do a little research before your next one or maybe re-consider whether cruising is for you. The only other thing I would mention, 3 and 4 day cruises are never the same as 7 days, the food,normaly isn't as good and sometimes the service isn't either. It sounds to my like you expected a really cheap get away, as the prices for the Sky are dirt cheap, you found out there were other charges you didn't expect.

Nita

fmira,

Please don't give up on cruising yet, give it one more try. May I suggest Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland America or Carnival. I believe that any of these will offer you a better experience.

I have to disagree. Her complaints really had little to do with NCL but more with what she expected from cruising. The nickel and diming was a perfec example. This goes for the same meals in both dining rooms, can you tell me a line that serves different food in the main dining rooms? The referance to people waiting in 95 degree temps, I don't remember any cruise ship being able to control the temperatures. We have cruised Cozumel about 6 times, all times of the year, it is always hotter than HE##. Having to wait to get back on the ship isn't NCLs fault. What I would suggest is the OP try a longer cruise, regardless of the line and do some research. From her complaints what do you think would have been much different on the mass marketed lines your suggest she try?

Nita

Wow! This post has really generated a lot of, somewhat, heated replies. I'm not blaming NCL for my entire cruise experience. It was my choice when I selected NCL, Sky, and the dates my family and I sailed. I simply wanted to share our experiences with you all. For any of you that were on this same sailing, maybe you can share with the group your experiences so everyone can have something to compare my review to.

A couple of items I forgot to mention were that the A/C and toilet worked great, but the bed was hard as a rock! Heck, I think sleeping on the top of my tank was softer than that bed was !!! :D

Archived