Is checked baggage really checked?

realtysandy

In the past 6 months has anyone been caught bringing alcohol in a CHECKED bag?

They X-Ray every bag.

But Security has more to worry about than all the BYOB going on. General Ship/Passenger safety, fire hazards, things that are illegal, etc. are understandably a higher priority.

Beyond that, they do some spot checks.

It is what it is.

They have not ever found my alcohol, but I just want to say this: Last summer I put a bottle of captain morgan in the center of my suitcase. I wrapped it in clothes, and it was between lots of clothes. Well, the plastic lid had cracked and it was leaking everywhere. So now I'm very careful about what I put in my checked luggage. They must really treat them rough.

I think it depends on where you cruise out of. I've never had a problem but I've heard tales about people being caught sailing out of LA. I've never sailed out of there. The only west coast port I've sailed from was Seattle.

I think it depends on where you cruise out of. I've never had a problem but I've heard tales about people being caught sailing out of LA. I've never sailed out of there. The only west coast port I've sailed from was Seattle.

We have sailed out of San Pedro (L.A.) Long Beach and San Diego a half of dozen times and last year was the first time we got caught........

We have sailed out of San Pedro (L.A.) Long Beach and San Diego a half of dozen times and last year was the first time we got caught........

Dittos here on those departure ports, :rolleyes: and have never been caught. It's literally a crapshoot, with odds heavily in favor of the 'smuggler'..

I think that people overthink the whole booze "smugling" thing. With all the suggested tricks for hiding it, rum runners flask, etc. If it worries them so much, simple don't do it. I for one see nothing wrong with bringing along my own bottle or two. It is not against the law, only some barely inforced cruise line "rule".

I think that people overthink the whole booze "smugling" thing. With all the suggested tricks for hiding it, rum runners flask, etc. If it worries them so much, simple don't do it. I for one see nothing wrong with bringing along my own bottle or two. It is not against the law, only some barely inforced cruise line "rule".

Not to mention that the rule is (IMO) as much about limiting Carnival's liability as anything else.

We got busted sailing out of SanJuan about 3 years ago. I think, having the duty free shop right there is why so many were getting their booze convescated.

Nita

but it is against the rules and cruiseline policy..This is the point. Rules apply to everyone...The reason we got busted on celebrity was because we didn't try to hide it....

Nita

We got busted sailing out of SanJuan about 3 years ago. I think, having the duty free shop right there is why so many were getting their booze convescated.

Nita

Bummer. I did sail out of San Juan once but my 'treasure' was in my checked luggage, inside a ziplock bag, wrapped in clothes. It made it safely. Maybe they only spot check?

I heard of someone who had a curling iron with the cord wrapped around it in the same suitcase as their alcohol. The xray showed the curling iron as a potential bomb so they asked her to come down to open the suitcase to check it out and saw the alcohol and confiscated it, so be careful what you pack in the same suitcase that might show up as questionable on the xray.

Bummer. I did sail out of San Juan once but my 'treasure' was in my checked luggage, inside a ziplock bag, wrapped in clothes. It made it safely. Maybe they only spot check?

In San Juan many people purchased their booze in the store in the terminal and walked right on with it in the bags..........I don't see it being a problem;)

In San Juan many people purchased their booze in the store in the terminal and walked right on with it in the bags..........I don't see it being a problem;)

Ah yes, the duty free store is there. I had not known that before I packed my 'treasure' in the states and flew down with it. Next time, I'll buy there.

By the way, in July, there was no problem packing it in checked baggage at the New York port (Manhattan).

• 3 months later...

I've only been caught once! Well worth it if you ask me. It was March of this year (2008) on a Norwegian Cruise.

Also, I never disguise the bottles. I buy plastic bottles of liquor and throw them right in my suitcase. I think if I would actually go through the trouble of hiding the bottles, then I may have never been caught...

Archived