Next Cruise Certificate / Fuel Surcharge

drsmith

OH MY GOODNESS, I AM SOOOOO UPSET WITH ROYAL CARIBBEAN!!! :mad:

We booked this cruise months ago using a Next Cruise Certificate. We understood that the NCC locked in fuel surcharge so that we would only be charged the going fuel surcharge at the time we purchased the NCC.

We paid for the cruise in full. Everything has been fine for months. And today, they called us on the phone and said we owed them money! It wasn't even showing up on my online account yet! They called and asked for a credit card number and wanted to be today.

BEWARE...there's a team of them going through ALL of the reservations. If you were not originally charged the full $10 per person per day for the fuel surcharge, it's my understanding...you WILL be! Even if you were told otherwise before! :mad:

OH MY GOODNESS, I AM SOOOOO UPSET WITH ROYAL CARIBBEAN!!! :mad:

We booked this cruise months ago using a Next Cruise Certificate. We understood that the NCC locked in fuel surcharge so that we would only be charged the going fuel surcharge at the time we purchased the NCC.

We paid for the cruise in full. Everything has been fine for months. And today, they called us on the phone and said we owed them money! It wasn't even showing up on my online account yet! They called and asked for a credit card number and wanted to be today.

BEWARE...there's a team of them going through ALL of the reservations. If you were not originally charged the full $10 per person per day for the fuel surcharge, it's my understanding...you WILL be! Even if you were told otherwise before! :mad:

Here is the number to the Executive Offices of Customer Services in Miami 1-888-767-4644.

I would really give them a call and find out WHY, after your cruise has been paid in full are they coming after you for additional fuel charges.

Your NC purchase should have locked you in.............something is definitely wrong with this picture.

NC does NOT lock in fuel surcharge. I went around and around with them when this happened to me earlier in the summer and they basically told me tough luck. Wording on invoices is now much more clear: only a FULL DEPOSIT locks in fuel surcharge, no matter what a loyalty ambassador may tell you about NC.

Same here - we purchased NC last October. Didn't book until April. In Oct 2007 there was no fuel surcharge. There was in April when we booked. We ended up paying fuel surcharge- have talked to several RCCL reps on phone, forwarded FL atty general memo, etc. they did not budge.

NC does NOT lock in fuel surcharge. I went around and around with them when this happened to me earlier in the summer and they basically told me tough luck. Wording on invoices is now much more clear: only a FULL DEPOSIT locks in fuel surcharge, no matter what a loyalty ambassador may tell you about NC.

But the OP paid for her cruise in full..............so why is she now being told that she owes additional monies for the increased fuel charge?

I would say that having your cruise paid in full is one sure way to be locked in against any increases.

Same here - we purchased NC last October. Didn't book until April. In Oct 2007 there was no fuel surcharge. There was in April when we booked. We ended up paying fuel surcharge- have talked to several RCCL reps on phone, forwarded FL atty general memo, etc. they did not budge.

From their own press release................

MIAMI - March 10, 2008 - After working closely with the Florida Attorney General's office, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. today announced it has voluntarily agreed to eliminate its fuel supplement on any bookings made prior to the announcement of the fuel supplement on November 16, 2007.

Royal Caribbean will eliminate the fuel supplement for any guests who had a booking made prior to November 16. Guests booked before November 16 who paid the fuel supplement and have taken their cruise will receive a refund through the form of payment used to purchase their sailing. Guests booked before November 16 who paid the fuel supplement and have not taken their cruise will receive their refund as an onboard credit during their sailing.

As originally announced, the company did not charge the fuel supplement to guests with bookings made and paid in full before November 16. It will now eliminate the fuel supplement for guests with bookings made but not paid in full before that date. These latter guests were also provided with a three-week period in which to cancel their sailing without penalty.

I don't know all the particulars, but the OP states the cruise was booked "months ago". Fuel surcharges have been applied since mid November 2007. Any bookings made after that time have a fuel surcharge of some sort, depending on the rate in effect at the time the actual booking was made, not the date of the Next Cruise reservation.

We booked a Next Cruise last year, but didn't lock in an actual booking until December, 2007. Because of this we were rightfully assessed the $5 surcharge in effect at that time.

I don't know all the particulars, but the OP states the cruise was booked "months ago". Fuel surcharges have been applied since mid November 2007. Any bookings made after that time have a fuel surcharge of some sort, depending on the rate in effect at the time the actual booking was made, not the date of the Next Cruise reservation.

We booked a Next Cruise last year, but didn't lock in an actual booking until December, 2007. Because of this we were rightfully assessed the $5 surcharge in effect at that time.

If that is correct, why can you not use the NC certificate for a sale that is for new bookings only? We were told that because we had a NC certificate, which has a booking number, that we could not use it for a sailing with low prices that were for new bookings only.

RCI can't have it both ways. I would keep trying the attorney general's office.

For U.S. and Canadian reservations made between November 16, 2007 and April 30, 2008, a fuel supplement applies. The fuel supplement is $5.00 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-guest, per-day. The supplement applies to the first and second guests in a stateroom, up to a maximum of $70.00 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-guest, per-sailing.

For U.S. and Canadian reservations made between May 1, 2008 and June 29, 2008, for first and second guests in a stateroom, the fuel supplement will be $8 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-day, and no more than $112 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-cruise. Additional guests in a stateroom will be charged $3 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per day, and no more than $42 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-cruise.

For U.S. and Canadian reservations made on or after June 30, 2008, for first and second guests in a stateroom, the revised fuel supplement will be $10 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-day, and no more than $140 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-cruise. Additional guests in a stateroom will be charged $5 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per day, and no more than $70 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-cruise.

Again their press release says....................... eliminate its fuel supplement on any bookings made prior to the announcement of the fuel supplement on November 16, 2007.

They do not mention NextCruise bookings or specific bookings.........they just say "any" bookings...............and this is something that I would fight tooth and nail. You can't change the wording of a Press Release once it has been issued.

If that is correct, why can you not use the NC certificate for a sale that is for new bookings only? We were told that because we had a NC certificate, which has a booking number, that we could not use it for a sailing with low prices that were for new bookings only.

RCI can't have it both ways. I would keep trying the attorney general's office.

Katie, unfortunately they have it right. When you purchased your NC booking you were assigned a booking number that activates when you attached a specific itinerary to it. Plus it has an OBC attached to it which will be determined by the length of the cruise.

Sales and Promo's are for new bookings only without a booking number.

You are not correct. The date you made the next cruise booking is the date RCL goes by, not the date you choose the cruise.

You are not correct. The date you made the next cruise booking is the date RCL goes by, not the date you choose the cruise.

Well, I still have to disagree with this. When they say that "any" booking made prior to November 16, 2007 will not incur the fuel surcharge I would consider NC as a booking no matter what the deposit was. Especially since it has a booking number attached to it. then they go on to say further that.............it will now eliminate the fuel supplement for guests with bookings made but not paid in full before that date.

I guess we need RCI to define "any" and "not paid in full"!;)

Again their press release says....................... eliminate its fuel supplement on any bookings made prior to the announcement of the fuel supplement on November 16, 2007.

They do not mention NextCruise bookings or specific bookings.........they just say "any" bookings...............and this is something that I would fight tooth and nail. You can't change the wording of a Press Release once it has been issued.

It's not only the press release that states, any booking, it is in the agreement made between the FL AG and RCCL

Here's the link

http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MRAY-7CMGGE/$file/RoyalCaribbeanAVC.pdf

However, this has till not helped me in getting my refund:mad:

Cruisinfanatic is agreeing with you Patti. (At least as I read it). The date you made the Next Cruise booking is the date you purchased the Next Cruise.

That is the way I understand it as well. :)

Hi Patti..........well, I read it that Cruisinfanatic was agreeing with RCIGUY about rightfully being assessed the fuel surcharge.

RCIGUY purchased a NC prior to November 16, 2007...........then changed it into a real cruise in December 2007. I don't think that RCIGUY should have been charged any fuel surcharge.

I'm so confused................:confused: :confused:

At least you understand it the way I do....................maybe we both got it wrong!

they are really being ridiculous with all this....one hand doesn't know what the other is doing......i argued about the adjusted charge....long story short, after i proved to them that i had invoies AFTER it went from 5 to 8 bucks-and that SHOWED the LOWER charge...and the difference only appearing as of august (which i saw when i paid it off) they agreed that I was right, they were wrong (and my TA was misinformed) i am getting the difference in OBC.

so argue away! i emailed them, they called me within 24 hours...then called me BACK about 2 hours after i faxed copies of my invoices from my TA.

It's not only the press release that states, any booking, it is in the agreement made between the FL AG and RCCL

Here's the link

http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MRAY-7CMGGE/$file/RoyalCaribbeanAVC.pdf

However, this has till not helped me in getting my refund:mad:

At least somebody understands it like I do.

they are really being ridiculous with all this....one hand doesn't know what the other is doing......i argued about the adjusted charge....long story short, after i proved to them that i had invoies AFTER it went from 5 to 8 bucks-and that SHOWED the LOWER charge...and the difference only appearing as of august (which i saw when i paid it off) they agreed that I was right, they were wrong (and my TA was misinformed) i am getting the difference in OBC.

so argue away! i emailed them, they called me within 24 hours...then called me BACK about 2 hours after i faxed copies of my invoices from my TA.

We have an invoice that shows a $5 fuel surcharge. I think I'll take your advice and continue to pursue this. We usually find somebody at Crown and Anchor who has some common sense and can fix things like this, but today, it just didn't work out like that. I'd prefer a refund, but I'd certainly settle for an OBC.

We have an invoice that shows a $5 fuel surcharge. I think I'll take your advice and continue to pursue this. We usually find somebody at Crown and Anchor who has some common sense and can fix things like this, but today, it just didn't work out like that. I'd prefer a refund, but I'd certainly settle for an OBC.

You definately don't owe any more for the fuel surcharge. The only reason it would change is if you used your next cruise and then changed the date, and or ship.

Archived