Your first cruise ship

Just saw pics of the Dolphin IV a few months ago and how she ended up. She was my first cruise ship. Sad for such a great little ship. :(

1991,this ship was was my first non-Navy cruise. What a great time. Think if we had asked the crew to peel me a grape they would have done it with a smile. Cruise director told us the first night " you walked on the ship today and in 3 days we are going to roll you off as cargo!" How right he was. After 21 years in the Navy my wife had to practically drag me to the cruise. Now I can't wait for the next one.

• 2 weeks later...

My first cruise was on Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas in April 2002. We cruised out of Port Canaveral to Nassau, Bahamas and CocoCay (RCCL's private island). I went with my high school band where we performed on the ship. We all had a lot of fun and made a ton of lasting memories. I would say it definitely got me hooked on cruising. I've been on two since then and my next one is in a couple of months for my honeymoon!

My first cruise was in 1990 on the Star Princess to Alaska from Vancouver, B.C. It was a family trip for my high school graduation. I was hooked, but it took awhile for me to become financially independent enough to rekindle my fire. :p

My first cruise was on The USS Standley:

image015.jpg

In 1975 for 6 weeks on my summer Navy ROTC Cruise out of Charleston, SC. Went to San Juan for 2 days and the rest of the time was spent out at sea. :cool:

Edited by bigque

:)Thanks for letting me know what happened to the Flavia.

I'm from south Georgia and at age 17, that cruise was the most exotic trip of my life.

No balconies back then, but some friends and I climbed over a rail to stand somewhere at the very front of the ship. Ah, the hubris of youth. I wouldn't dare do that now!

One of the bars had a glass window in it that looked into the pool. We thought that was soooooo cool.

Thanks for updating my memories.

OMG...we may have been on the same cruise. I, too, was on the Flavia in MAY 1976 for a school trip. We were a group of Chicago (Catholic) school girls (junios & seniors) and we made friends with kids from Georgia! I remember Macon, GA?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

1987. NCL's Sunward II out of Miami to the Bahamas. Liked it so much we went back on the same ship the following year. In 1989 we booked a 7 day on the newest and largest cruise ship (at the time) in the world, RCL's Sovereign of the Seas. She made the Sunward look like a life boat, and when she left RCL's fleet she was the smallest class that they had.

In April of 1968 we cruised on Cunard;s Carmania. A 10 day cruise to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary out of Port Everglades to San Juan. St Thomas, St Martin. Antigua. Nassau . We had late dining at Table 54. All our meals were at specified times at the same table with the same wait staff.

I can't even start to tell how much cruising has changed, but this April we will be celebrating our 60th wedding anniversary with a 12 day cruise out of Miami to Bermuda on Oceania's Regatta.Somewhere close to 90 to 100 cruises later.

~Doris~>Who's first cruise will always be VERY special.

Our first cruise was on the Nordic Emperess. It was in 1993 for our honeymoon. We went to Nassau and Freeport.

It took us 16 years to go on a cruise again. Finances, schooling, child, building a new house, etc.

This time it was only 4 years between cruises

• 3 weeks later...

Mine was on the Carnival Mardi Gras out of Ft. Lauderdale in 1987. It was a gift from my parents, so my older sister was sent along as chaperone.

I believe we got in far more trouble together than we ever would have separately. Here is a sample conversation, that I remember to this day:

Me: You know, it's funny...I haven't gotten a hangover on this trip, and I've been drinking!

Sister: That's because you don't GET a hangover if you stay drunk the whole time, idiot.

:eek:

Ah, youth. Oh, the fun we had!;)

• 4 weeks later...

Nordic Empress - Royal Caribbean.

4-night out of Port Canaveral, stopping a Coco Cay and Nassau.

The boat was beautiful (I still compare boats to it) with its 2-story dining room in the stern with HUGE windows and a fancy center staircase. The Centrum was amazing as well with a multi-story sculpture and waterfall.

Yes, I was hooked!

JM

Tammy mentioned of cruising on the NCL and enjoying it to Hawaii. I'm glad you did.:) We went on our first/last trip on NCL Star (brand new ship) to Hawaii, and to say the least, we will never cruise NCL, unless it is FREE. Not only us, but everyone on our plane trip back was "complaining" of how they "dislike" the ship. If you want a ship to relax, and NOT do anything, then I think the NCL is the way to go. I call it the "lazy" ship. I like to have lots of options to choose from to do things, if I wish. NCL does not have this.

1980, Emerald Seas. Had no idea what a history that ship had, as I was only 14. She is gone for good now, but what fun we had. A school trip and first cruise and Disney and Wet and Wild all in one trip... Amazing history and no idea that ship was from 1944! It basically went all over the world. WOW,,, now, many decades later, I would certainly appreciate that history.

What a neat thread this is.

• 2 weeks later...

AHOY SHIPMATES

My first cruise was on the HAZEGRAY cruise lines1958 USS Shangra La

but that was in another lifetime

In my next life ... QE2 NY to Southampton 5 days. It took me over

15 yrs to recouperate....There was no watertight integrity and most of the

below decks crew were stoned(1981).

In this Life (my final one) The wonderful Rotterdam V for the final 115 day World Cruise in 1997 .It was addictive as you can see from my signature.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Can't remember ship name for the first with girlfriends - cruise to nowhere leaving from nyc on a friday night to sunday morning. probably around 1970-71. If anyone has memories of this, please let me know. First with husband before wedding on Kazakstan or some similar name - 1981 or 82. Honeymoon on RCCL Song of America - September of 1983. Great memories!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I remember it well...Royal Carribean's Sovereign of the Seas in Oct 1991. At the time it was one of the largest cruise ships around. DH did skeet shooting and hit golf balls off the back deck (I guess all cruise ship have become more environmentally friendly since then). There was no prohibition on bringing liquor on board, but few, if any, did since you could buy alcohol in the duty free store on-board and take it back to your room for a nominal upcharge. My how things have supersized.