Your first cruise ship

My first cruise was in Nov. 1993 aboard RCCL Nordic Empress. It was a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas, stopping at Freeport, Nassau, and Coco Cay. Weather was bad so we did not stop at Coco Cay (missed it the last time I was supposed to stop there too!) The ship was small but beautiful, immaculately clean and great service and food. Was such a great cruise and hooked us on cruising and RCCL.

Hi All,

What a great posting! I am going to take the time to read it all, I just found it. My first cruise was with my 2 sisters, on the ship Veracruz (not sure if it was MS or SS) on the Bermuda Star line in 1986. There were 276 passengers. We went to the Western Caribbean. We all are now hooked on cruising and have been cruising since. :D

SS Uganda, probably 79/80 cruising all the Scandinavian countries. My Mum worked for P&0 for many years so this was my intro to cruising as youngster. It was in a group of kids whose parents all worked for P&O.

The Uganda was then commandeered for the Falklands War hospital ship not long afterwards and then a troop carrier. It is her 60th Anniversary this year.

I saw a few things in the museum on Port Stanley when I was living down there in early 90s and it took me back all those years. She was in some state after the adventure in the Falklands.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Guest debbiejohncruise

We are booked with Holland America on the Noordam from 7-28 Jan 13!!!!! Our first cruise longer than 2 weeks.:)

We sailed with one of the Sitmar ships for our honeymoon in 81. It was fantastic. That was back in the day when you had your food prepared for you at your table. We have since cruised with Carnival (never again), Celebrity, Cunard, Princess, Uniworld and Holland America. Trying to figure out which cruise to go on end Jan 13 for 2 weeks in Southern Caribbean.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Our first was Sovereign of the Seas, RCCL, we went on the Eastern Caribbean route in 1992. We loved it. When we were flying back north, we heard people saying on the plane that this had been their 10th cruise. We remembered saying, "Why would you cruise 10 times? Thinking the cruise was great but there were lots of other vacation opportunities". The following year we went to an all inclusive vacation in Jamaica and had all kinds of mishaps. The next year we went back to cruising- it was very relaxing and fun and safe. This year will be our 13th cruise- so we did become one of those people who like to cruise and keep going on them!

My fist cruise was in 1997 on the Big Red Boat, the Oceanic! It was mazing fun and it got me hooked on cruising. I went on it again, and saw the Disny magic, and had to upgrade to a bigger ship.. I kept "chasing the high' to get on the bigger and better shios! I was saddened to hear about how the cruiseline ended, leaving all those people stuck in a port with no way to get home.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont remember the name of the ship but it was NCL back in 1991 La to Mexico a three night curise. I remeber a few years back looking at the daily cruise compass ( not sure if thats what is was called ) but I thought it was stange on a 3 night cruise that the life boat drill was held on day 2 and not before sailing the first night.

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise was in 1992 on the Celebrity Horizon and we sailed the Caribbean departing from San Juan. We went down a day early and boarded the ship as soon as possible the next day. I remember sitting out on the aft lido deck with our lunch and thinking I must be dreaming. When we heard the Horizon was being sold, we booked passage on her last trip to Bermuda in 2005. We sailed to Bermuda on the Horizon and came back on the Island Princess (I think that was the name). During our three days in Bermuda, workers cut off the Horizon name and replaced it. Luckily I don't believe in the superstition of changing a ship's name brings bad luck--at least not for our return trip. It was uneventful. I thought I'd posted about that trip on my blog but I guess I was too sad to see the Horizon go to talk about it at the time.

Our first cruise was on the Norway in 1989. It got us hooked on cruising. She was the most elegant ship, so comfortable and we were awe struck. We just had an outside cabin, no balconies in those days, but the cabin was huge with a bathtub and lots of room to move around. At the time she was still the largest ship in the world but Royal Caribbean soon came out with their first giant ship. The name escapes me but it was of the Monarch class. It was a shame how the beautiful Norway ended up.

It was the Carnival Conquest round trip Galveston TX to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

I wanted to do something special for my wife to celebrate her birthday. She was very apprehensive about going but finally agreed to it.

Good news now is she loves it and spends a lot of time planning all of our upcoming cruises!

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone ever cruise on the Viking Serenade between September 1995 to December 1997? During these years, I served on both the cruise staff and purser staff on the VS. I would be interested to hear about your experiences. My name is Steve in case you may have run into me. If you can post photos, that would be very cool.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Mine was on the Stella Solaris in 1974. I still have vivid recollections of her. My second sailing was on the Dolphin IV, so both of my first two ships have gone to the breakers. :(

Just saw pics of the Dolphin IV a few months ago and how she ended up. She was my first cruise ship. Sad for such a great little ship. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Our first cruise was on the Carnival Elation, when we were at sea a couple of days ( Mexician Riveria,) ....Sept 11th happened... Very sad, no entertainers could get on board, at the ports ( no flights) so all the staff put on shows etc, even with all the things we had to "make do" with, and with the hours and hours we had to wait to get off the ship cos everyone had to go thru customs, even crew, before they would let anyone off....we were hooked.

First cruise was a Caribbean cruise, the Disney Wonder, in 2006.

My family lived 20 minutes from Port Canaveral my whole life. But we didn't have the disposable income to just hop on cruises like a lot of my friends did growing up. My dad always promised we would go on one someday. So when all the kids were grown adults (4 of us), he paid for us all to take a Disney cruise (whole family). And it was magic :D

Our first was Sovereign of the Seas, RCCL, we went on the Eastern Caribbean route in 1992. We loved it. When we were flying back north, we heard people saying on the plane that this had been their 10th cruise. We remembered saying, "Why would you cruise 10 times? Thinking the cruise was great but there were lots of other vacation opportunities". The following year we went to an all inclusive vacation in Jamaica and had all kinds of mishaps. The next year we went back to cruising- it was very relaxing and fun and safe. This year will be our 13th cruise- so we did become one of those people who like to cruise and keep going on them!

Our second crsuie was on her Thanksgiving 99. It ws our duahgter's first as our first cruise we went as a couple.

We have now been on 21 cruises or 132 days which ever way you look at it. We enjoy cruising too, but every now and then we take a break and throw some other trip in the mix.

Carnival Fantasy over Halloween 1995 4 girls in a inside cabin. Sailed her again Feb of 1997 for my honeymoon. And also DH's first cruise and again August 2006 our sons first cruise. We have now sailed her 4 times or I have and she has been just as wonderful each time. Last time was is 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk