Drug Pushers at Ports ?

southbayer

How do you know it's the best? You speak from experience, no?

ok, I can accept that.

There is no dispute that grass is grown on Jamaica and is some of the best. The same goes for Hawaii.

My point is that if there was not a drug problem in America, ok, first, there would be less crime in America. Ok, moving along.

The rest of the world knows this, whether or not America(ns) deny reality.

If America was not associated with over consumption of everything, including pot, vendors of everything would be less inclined to approach Americans to sell their wares. It is simple business that they do so.

I'm curious to know what 3 islands you are referring too?

Thanks

Jamaica, Domincan Republic, Barbados. Also, Trinidad and Tobago, Curacao, Aruba, St. Lucia and others.

The Yucatan does a good bit of marijuana and other substances......

Jamaica is the largest producer of marijuana (ganja) in the Caribbean. It grows in the wild and is abundant as hell. It is illegal to produce, sell and buy this stuff. Once ganja tea (very popular in Jamaica) is thrown into the mix per capita usage is estimated at around 50% to 60%. Oddly enough, if you see a local appearing "stoned" chances are the individual is drunk rather than stoned. Having said this, the authorities tend to look the other way except for areas in or near airports and ports. There have been and will continue to be stings in these areas. It takes two to tango folks and if there weren't any buyers coming off ships and planes there wouldn't be any problems.

FWIW, Mexico is the number one transit point for cocaine coming into the U.S. - not Jamaica. The number one producer of cocaine is Colombia, we all know how well the 'war on drugs" is going where Colombia is concerned.

Twice now I have been asked if I wanted to buy drugs in two different ports. I've been asked in wide open area's filled with tourists about15 feet of police.

I have to wonder if the cops there get part of the take ? Cause these pushers are out there like they are passing out flyers to some bar or somethin. But what really freaked me out was they would ask right near police. So of course I had to say in a very LOUD VOICE "I don't buy drugs".

this has happened to me in cities right here in the USA.:eek:

Why all the posts about pot in the Caribbean??? Do you REALLY think it is a problem???

METH is the biggest problem in the USA. And between the criminal cartels in the Mexican border towns and the meth heads making dope in every neighborhood in the USA, drugs in the Caribbean shouldn't be a worry. Just say no.

Phoenix PD recently arrested 4 people associated with the Sinaloa cartel about 3 blocks from my office. They were dressed in full body armour, were wearing shirts with POLICE across the back and were in possession of a number of AK-47's, plenty of ammo and hand guns. They were also ex-Mexican military. They had current passports. They had been sent by the cartel to collect money. They had killed 3 people the night before and were looking for 2 others who owed money.

Just two weeks ago, 11 decapitated bodies were found in Merida. Two were Americans. Kidnapping in Mexican border towns is rampant. Last year, one of the cartels rolled decapitated heads on the dance floor of a popular night club in Michoaca.

And you guys are worrying about someone selling a bag of weed?????

ok, I can accept that.

There is no dispute that grass is grown on Jamaica and is some of the best. .

How do you know this? LOL.

All you have to do is look at the cover of High Times magazine when they have the annual "Best Bud" awards (available at most news stands). Although for the past two years, BC Bud out of Vancouver has won the prize. Here is an old cover off the High Times website. Can't get into the actual article without a subscription, but you sure could at the grocery store. Or just go to Amsterdam. They have all the pot rated by country and strain in EVERY coffees shop there.

http://hightimes.com/gallery/ht_admin/3025/2983

We (my husband and I) are fairly well traveled and these kinds of thing happen everywhere. We are used to it. When asked if we want some "ganja mon" or any other drug, we just reply..."no ganja, we like rum & beer, you got any beer mon?" They usually get a chuckle and point us in the direction of the local beach bar.

We were told YEARS ago about this. The cruise said they sell you drugs then cops arrest you, dealer splits what you paid with the cop who returns the drug, for another sale, to dealer, another arrest and split of $$ gotten. you also pay the cop off so they won't 'take you in", which is also split. Quite a profitable business! Don't know if its the same now but could be! Just pretend you don't speak English or Spanish, say 'frear-a-jacka' and keep walking!

Because he's probably an expert. Why else would he want to know about where all the drugs are sold in the Carribean.

"And yes my friends, these people vote too"

Like I said..does this thread really have a point?

ok, I can accept that.

There is no dispute that grass is grown on Jamaica and is some of the best. .

How do you know this? LOL.

We met a delightful, young couple from Netherlands years ago on a cruise.

They told us what happened to them when they got off the ship in Ocho Rios.

A drug seller approached them and asked if they wanted to buy marijuana. Our friend laughed and said to the local, "I'm from Holland and don't have to buy your stuff on the street. " The Jamaican answsered: "Hey Man......can I buy some from you."

We really laughed when he told us this story.

Jamaica' date=' Domincan Republic, Barbados. Also, Trinidad and Tobago, Curacao, Aruba, St. Lucia and others.

The Yucatan does a good bit of marijuana and other substances......[/quote']

You are so wrong. Some people just get on these boards and type a set of nonsense without doing any research. Trinidad and Tobago is an oil and Natural Gas producer. second largest methanol producer in the world. 60% of the natural gas used on the eastern sea board comes from T&T.

Yes, Marijuana is available in T&T but it certainly is not a revenue producer for the Govt. There are strict laws against drugs here and you will be jailed.

Please do some research before posting such erroneous information on countries that you are obviously not familiar with

You are so wrong. Some people just get on these boards and type a set of nonsense without doing any research. Trinidad and Tobago is an oil and Natural Gas producer. second largest methanol producer in the world. 60% of the natural gas used on the eastern sea board comes from T&T.

Yes, Marijuana is available in T&T but it certainly is not a revenue producer for the Govt. There are strict laws against drugs here and you will be jailed.

Please do some research before posting such erroneous information on countries that you are obviously not familiar with

Good clarity goneclear. (please pardon the bad joke on the name:) )

Goneclear, I can back up what you said 100%. I lived on a cruising sailboat for 2 years in Chaguaramas. A couple off of another sailboat was cought selling drugs in 2000 to other cruisers by the police. They had bought the drugs from undercover agents in St. Josephs. They recieved 20 years for their efforts.

Hi goneclear! My in laws are from Trinidad and Tobago. :D

Geeze, look what I started.. The two ports I was talking about wasn't even in Jamaica... They were Cabo and Cozumel.

Cabo and Cozumel are now being impacted by all the violence in Mexico. With the decapitated bodies found in Merida two weeks ago (not very far from Cozumel), someone pushing drugs at the port is the last thing you should worry about.

The Mexican Federal police and military are trying to keep the tourist areas safe. But after what happened last week in Rosarito Beach (just south of Tijiuana), it is not working well. 25-30 vehicles and 70+ heavily armed men rolled into Rosarito and had a shoot out. My best friend lives in Rosarito and has for years. She is seriously thinking of leaving if the violence can't be contained. And with all the mordida (bribes) which is part of Mexican culture, money usually comes out ahead in Mexico when it comes down to money or duty.

Be careful. Don't worry about drug pushers. Really a silly thing to worry about.

Our 13 1/2 year old daughter sailed with us on the Western Mariner of the seas this August.

And I must give credit where credit is due. But it also raises some questions.

RCI in their lounge had one of the teen coordinators go over what to expect in Jamaica the evening before we arrived their in port.

He told the group, that drug activity is very prevalent on this Island. He told them it is not cool to smoke or take drugs, and disappoint your parents, or ruin your lives. He told them that chances were high that you would be caught and it was not worth it.

If you brought anything back on the ship, you have a good chance of being busted. He scared them,

Okay, so RCI as well as everyone on the planet knows Jamaica is well known for the Marijuana trade. So, we as parents hopefully taught our children to avoid drugs, and RCI re-inforced it.

It is everywhere, but it is very abundant on the island. Stay in groups. And try to avoid the riff-raff.

That is why we are a family when we are on these islands, she does not have free reign, even though I trust her.

WE can only pray they make the right decisions.

Later

Goneclear, I can back up what you said 100%. I lived on a cruising sailboat for 2 years in Chaguaramas. A couple off of another sailboat was cought selling drugs in 2000 to other cruisers by the police. They had bought the drugs from undercover agents in St. Josephs. They recieved 20 years for their efforts.

Hi Traveler, we may have crossed paths at the dock. I keep a boat at Power boats in Chaguaramas. Spend all my free time on the water down there.

Hi Purr 30, Hope you visit one day. Maybe for carnival. I have lots of friends in Vancouver. Have visited there twice most recent this March gone. I usually stay in Deep cove, Tell the 2 grizzlies on Grouse Hi:)

Good for you and for your strict laws.

It's not unusual at all to be offered all kinds of substances on any island in the Caribbean. Some islands are more prone than others.....

There is no crime in selling it' date=' the crime is buying it and using it. All one needs to do is say no and keep walking.

Marijuana is the #1 revenue producer for at least 3 islands I know of-probably many more that I don't.

[/quote']

Here we go again......... you keep coming up with these dramatic sweeping statements with absolutely NO reliable source or citation for your responses. By all means start with "I think that" or "In my opinion" but to just throw a statement out with no validation is just ridiculous. How do you know that MJ is the biggest 'revenue producer' ?? And since when has it been 'legal' to sell drugs on these islands and 'illegal' to buy?

I would support an argument that in certain places the enforcement agencies are so corrupt that they work in tandem with some of the so-called dealers, but that is a far cry from the activity being legal.

Are just using incendiary arguments to get your thread count up?

Archived