All about Orlando

OhPinchy

Hi, we're an Irish couple that will be doing an NCL Pearl cruise from Miam on 16th November 2008. We're planning on renting a car and spending 4-nights in and around Orlando before the cruise and then drive down to Miami on the morning of the cruise.

I can't find a listing for Florida under the Ports Of Call forum - when I click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=412 I just see the Departures forums listed and the message 'You Must Be Registered and Logged In to See posts in this Forum. ' listed below. I've tried logging out and back in but no joy.

I see plenty of threads on here about car hire so that will be fine, and the info on Priceline seems interesting - we don't use that much in Ireland so I hope I can use it and find savings.

We'll probably drive to Cape Canaveral for a day at the Kennedy Space Center (would love to go there!) and then do a day or 2 around Universal Studios, Disney, SeaWorld but would love to hear tips on other things to do and see and decent places to stay. I'm sure there's threads on this around this place but I can't find it....

Does anybody else see the 'You Must Be Registered and Logged In to See posts in this Forum. ' on the United States Ports of Calls page: when I click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=412 I just see the Departures forums listed and the message

Or do you actually see some threads listed?

Just trying to find out if there is any info on this board about Orlando hotels and things to do, or if I should look elsewhere, thanks.

You will be able to get information on how to get from Orlando to your cruise in this forum and some general information about Orlando but not the overall detail I think you are seeking.

Tripadvisor will give you a good overview of the area and lots of information on hotels. Here is a link for you:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g34515-Orlando_Florida-Vacations.html

As far as trying to do everything you have listed in just 4 days, I don't think it is possible. You need a day for Kennedy Space Center since it is over an hour from Orlando. Seeing all the Disney parks would take 4 to 5 days, 2 days for Universal and 2 for Seaworld.

I realize you are coming a distance and want to see as much as possible, but you are really going to have to prioritize.

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide to see.:)

The 3.5 star Bueno Vista Palace Resort is a nice place to stay. It is more of an adult hotel. It is across the street from Downtown Disney, and offers free shuttles to Disney parks. They do charge parking and resort fees, though. The Regal Sun Resort just renovated and reopened next store and they are offering some good deals. It looks like it's 2.5 stars. Hotwire offers some great deals in Orlando also.

Thanks royalcruz, that helps.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much advice about Orlando on this board (seems focused on Canaveral and Miami are the focus as they have the ports naturally enough). I'll look elsewhere for a forum that has info on Orlando (e.g. review on the theme parks, good restaurants etc.)....any forum suggestions are much appreciated.

This Florida Departures thread is the place on Cruise Critic for questions about Orlando. Port Canaveral is considered the port for Orlando.If you have some questions I can try to answer them for you.

You can use a website like Orbitz or Travelocity to scan car rental rates for all major rental companies at one time.

For Disney questions, visit http://www.disboards.com which is the same format as Cruise Critic but for Disney World. There are sections regarding the other theme parks too.

As has been mentioned, you need to decide how to spend your limited number of days in the Orlando area. There are way too many theme parks to cover all of them plus KSC.

Are you flying in on the new Aer Lingus service from Dublin?

BobK/Orlando

That's exactly what I was looking for - thanks folks!

We'll be flying with British Airways via London into Orlando and out of Miami after the cruise. We're flying economy and I don't like Aer Lingus economy on long flights so much prefer BA, plus I have a friend in BA who sometimes gets me upgrades!

Hello Everyone

I hope someone can help me here. I'm looking at posssibly going on the Pride out of Baltimore, MD next year in September. The itinerary states we will be in Port Canaveral from 7:00am to 7:00pm.

My questions are this:

1. Do I have enough time to go to Disney World or MGM Studios within the 12 hours the ship is in port?

2. Can someone recommend a means of transportation that will take us there or should I look into taking a taxi or shuttle for me and my BF to one of the theme parks?

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

MzOhioLady: You'll be pushing it; however, it is theoretically possible.

What I'd do: Find a rental car agency that will pick you up and return you to the boat (like Enterprise), in which case you could hightail it to one of the parks (allow 2.5 hours transit each way, incl. rental drop), which gives you about six hours, that's enuff time to cover the highlights in most of one park. Personally, I would not try it, except as part of a ship-sponsored excursion (if there was one).

To the OP: This sounds to me like a great trip, and I live in Florida.

Check out http://www.mousesavers.com for some useful tips and discounts.

For MzOhioLady:

Check out https://secure.shoretrips.com/common/search3.asp?rcode=FLA&lcode=PCA which lists these options...

GROUP TRIP: A DAY AT ONE OF ORLANDO'S THEME PARKS

Enjoy your day at one of Orlando's theme parks...with private transfers from Port Canaveral.

Departures (Local Time): 09:00 AM (8 hrs)

Epcot Center/MGM Studios/Magic Kingdom-Adults: $125.00 USD.

Universal Studios-Adults: $122.00 USD

-- Your package includes roundtrip transfers and the entrance fee to one park.

-- Price are subject to change as the theme parks change their prices... and the number of your group changes. The prices shown are based on 40 passengers in motorcoaches. Please contact ShoreTrips for more exact pricing.

Archived