No more free Birthday Cakes !!!!

BaumD

Good Luck! Friends of ours ordered one for my Husbands birthday last year on Voyager and it was never delivered the whole week. Even though the Head Waiter and Matri'd was told of the situation nothing was done to correct the matter. So I wouldn't hold my breath about getting one delivered to Johnny Rockets. But then again you may have completely better luck then we did.

ConnieKDWitchTransp.gif

Viking Serenade 7/91

Enchantment of the Seas (2 Back to Back Cruises) 9/02

Voyager of the Seas 11/03

Brilliance of the Seas 11/03

Mariner of the Seas 5/04

In over twenty years of cruising--here's a few thoughts on this matter: 1. Too many people abused this courtesy--You'd be amazed to know how MANY birthdays there were the last night of each cruise I've been on. 2. With the exception of WAY back in the 80's, those birthday cakes were pretty terrible.

On sovereign in Nov.2001-the head waiter came around and asked us if we had any special occassions coming up-I said no but my daughter had just graduated high school a few months back and we were proud of her for that. well the next thing we knew they brought her out a cake which we shared with our tablemates.

Have you noticed how "quiet" the DR is now that the waiters are not singing HB or HA all the time? icon_rolleyes.gif

Soveriegn 92 E. Caribbean

Majesty 95 W. Caribbean

Granduer 97 E. Caribbean

Rhapsody 00 Mexico

Vision 02 Alaska

Radiance 03 Panama Canal

Brilliance 3/29/04

Radiance of the Seas/Panama Canal 10/18/2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800Are we there yet?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My bags are always packed!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;3;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Brilliance 3/29/2004

Yes, I do enjoy the "quiet" now of the D/R. Plus, those anniversary and birthday cakes weren't that great anyway. I'd rather have the souffle!

"To live on the land...we must learn from the sea"

(26 prior cruises. Nobody cares, so why list them all?)

My daughter graduates a few days before our cruise, and I will celebrate my birthday while on the cruise--I don't want any cake--just let me choose from the " good stuff" off the menu!

Mariner of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

an_run_on_by.gif

When my daughter had her birthday on the voyager two years ago we received two cakes. One from our travel agent and one from the ship. They just went to waste because there was so much other food on the ship.

We are going again this year for her birthday. We really wont miss the cake.

This Board has saved me once again! We've been on 10 cruises, and have had a few birthdays & anniversaries on them. On our 7/04 Mariner cruise, our son is turning 16. He's bringing his long-time best friend along to help celebrate. This is a kid who will say that he doesn't want anyone singing to him, please don't embarass him, etc., but who will be secretly waiting to be the center of attention icon_biggrin.gif. I would have assumed that it was "cakes as usual," our TA had taken care of it, and wouldn't have made any other arrangements if it wasn't for this Board. Thank you all!!!

There are a lot of people, especially children, who like to have their birthday celebrated with/by others and who go or are taken on the cruise for that very purpose. While the old free RCI birthday cakes were not very good (and thankfully they were small),the main purpose for most was the birthday being celebrated with the singing, birthday cake, etc. along with their tablemates. This isn't so unusal--I have often been to land-based restuarants which provided a public birthday celebration for a diner and his/her companions.

While I agree there was was a lot of abuse, all RCI would have had to do to stop that abuse would have been to adopt a similar policy of that of Princess--who will provide complimentary cakes, door decorations, etc. for events which occur within 30 days before the sailing or 45 days after the sailing. After all RCI has everyone's birthday--that information is required to be submitted in the passenger registration. Instead, under RCI's policy, they won't even provide a complimentary cake on the person's actual birthday.

I have also found information posted on this board that said that the waitstaff would provide a dessert from the menu and sing Happy Birthday, etc. (no charge) If this is the case, then there probably won't be much reduction in the singing that some of you find so annoying. Although I have enjoyed hearing the "Hoppy Boothday" song and am amazed that so many of the waiters have learned to sing this and other celebratory songs in the exact same monotone icon_smile.gif.

No, it appears the true reason for the change in policy eliminating the complimentary cakes is that RCI is now using this to make money, like some of the other changes that have taken place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wannalottadough:

skip the cake and just bring me a foo foo drink!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make mine a Mango Tango with a splash of 151 floating on top. icon_wink.gif

Reggie icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;10;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Rhapsody 10-17-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;12;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Mercury 12-06-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;03;29;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800 Monarch 3-29-04

Viking Serenade 1998

Viking Serenade 1999

Voyager of the Seas 2000

Viking Serenade 2001

Majesty of the Seas 11-2002

Norwegian Sea 11-2002

Vision of the Seas 11-2002

Mercury 5-03-03

Monarch of the Seas 6-09-03

Mercury 10-12-03

Monarch 11-17-03

Monarch 1-19-04

God bless the USA and all freedom loving people. May God protect all those who fight and die to protect those freedoms.

In September on Serenade (9/1) we were at a table for 8 and the waiter brought out a cake (no charge then) on the first night for one of our tablemates birthday's.. (9/1) my sister had taken me on the cruise for my 50th (9/8).

It turned out that 6 of us at the table were all born in September between the 1st and 14th and one couple also had their wedding anniversary that week. (9/4) We spared our waiter for the rest of the cruise and all celebrated with the one cake on the first night.

Everyone at the table had cruised before and we all agreed that we didn't need to be sung to every night..it was a fun moment and the cake was actually one of the best I ever tasted...white chocolate mousse.

Nordic Empress..*****11/04

Radiance of the Seas****3/04

Serenade of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas

Century (Celebrity)

Song of America

Monarch of the Seas

We are cruising on Sovereign in June for my husband's 40th. I have ordered the "Birthday" cabin decorations which I understand come with a cake. The plan is for our friends to come to the cabin for cake and champagne and strawberries. I think that will work just fine.

Cant't wait!!

Andrea

Archived