New Service Rate

jimgev

We were on a repo (7 day) cruise a few years ago with a couple we never saw tip anybody anything. They also did not show at the last night's dinner, but when I ran into them later that evening, they complained loudly about their $1,600 bar bill! Go figure!:confused:

The $1600 bar bill was a "Good Story" I've sat next to the non tipper ,who I would see at every port walking around the dock, at dinner every night he would tell me about the expensive watch he had his eye on;)

$11 per day is okay by me.

We have always tipped extra even when it is automatically added into the bill.

When poolside an ordering drinks we add an extra $2. This has meant that when we sit down first thing someone is there right away to take our orders.

I was in the Food service sector years ago and remember how hard it was.

If people don't want to pay the $11 per day they should just stay home or go to all-inclusive resorts.

Brinda

Wow an additional $1 a day increase!!! That's an additional $7.00 a day for a 7 day cruise I think I can come up with it... The service on HAL is FANTASTIC!!

That's exactly it!!!

A whole $7 more per week for the service we enjoy on all the 'dam' ships. If someone thinks that stretches the budget too tight, it might be a good idea to save for a little while longer so they can cruise and enjoy without having to pinch the pennies until they scream.

The last NCL cruise we were on I wanted to prepare envelops before we left for each night we would be on the ship at dinner. With Free Style Cruising you never get the same waitperson, so I wanted to develop my own free style tipping, but my husband said to just do the tips at the end. My idea was to put the nightly tips in each envelop and add to or take from it according to the service. A couple of nights the service was horrific and other nights it could not have been better. My idea was to let the waiter know he would be tipped at the end of the meal and he was to let his bus boy know as well. I think Free Style Cruising has all but killed quality service for NCL. The concept is great, but service has suffered.

Being rewarded for services rendered is an important part of human nature. That is why communism does not succeed. It takes away the pride of a job well done when the job done, whether good or bad, is rewarded equally - out of the "pool". Take away the encentive to work hard, and human nature responds by sitting back. Why work hard when I will get what the next waiter gets even though he provides quality service?

Gutenburg: It's nice to hear from someone who lives in the same world as most of us where marginal utility means that what we spend or give here, we can't spend or give there. My experience of the effect of incentives has also been the same as yours.

For a long time HAL sailed under a "tipping not required" policy and there was nothing but complaining about it. Now they have changed the policy and now there is a lot of complaining about it. Come on $11.00 a day for the service those people give! I always give more than $11.00 per day.

Archived