Things not to miss in Cozumel, George Town, Ocho Rios

shaggyofwv

We are going to the Western Carib for the first time (2 weeks from today!) and I would like some input from you guys about what we should NOT miss in the above locations..

Also has anyone been to the Hard Rock cafes in the above places? If so, how were they?

Thanks..

Hard Rock Cafe in Cozumel is in walking distance from where the Mariner port of call is.

Don't be surprised how pricy it is there. They have to pay for all the storm damage over the years.

In Cozumel, we snorkeled in the bay in front of the Burger King on an RCI excursion. There was a BIG sunken ship. It was a nice, safe excursion.

In Grand Cayman we did Snuba. If you are a Scuba diver you can scuba here, but it is a little boring for those who knew what they were doing. On the other hand, me, who had no clue had a great time with snuba.

Now in Ocho Rios, it is what-ever floats your boat. We did Dunns' falls, and the caverns and had a nice time. Would I do it again, No, once in a life time is enough. Friends of ours did Margaritaville,, and we wish we had.

Just book with a tour or someone. Don't get your own rental especially on Cozumel. There is a good thread around the boards talking about a couple who got their jeep hit by a taxi, and they had to pay damages.

Safe travels

I loved Cozumel the best for shopping.

Later

We are going to the Western Carib for the first time (2 weeks from today!) and I would like some input from you guys about what we should NOT miss in the above locations..

Also has anyone been to the Hard Rock cafes in the above places? If so, how were they?

Thanks..

Find a place to swim with the dolphins...we swam with them in ocho rios at dolphin cove, it was phenomenal, I'd definitely reccomend it.

Stingray City in Grand Cayman. It's a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. We booked through the ship and also went to the turtle farms, with Tropicana Tours. It was incredible and something that you can't do almost anywhere else in the world.

In cozumel, nothing interesting appealed to us, so we went to playa mia beach and then went shopping for a couple hours. The beach was fine, I've heard there are better ones out there though. Shopping in cozumel had the best selection and lowest prices, definitely shop there!

What to skip:

-Dunn's River Falls, we went, it was so crowded and not that exciting.

-Shopping in Jamaica, it was out of control, we got scared and practically ran to the pier.:eek:

Hopefully this helps, if you have any further questions, post right here, i'll be glad to answer.

If you want a nice beach day in Cozumel Paradise Beach is great. Grand Cayman there is 7 mile beach. BUt if you have never been to Grand Cayman do an excursion, snorkle with the sting rays. Awesome experience--a must do at least once.

Jamaica, we did Dunn River Falls then ended up at Margaritaville for lunch. Glad I did it, but once was enough.

Have a great cruise!!

Jamaica: stay on the ship

Grand cayman: Captain Marvin. Sting Ray City. Use you do the sting ray trip, not to be missed, and you do it through the ship, you will feel like you are ona NY Subway...packed in, tons of people...jammed.

Captain Marvin..Tender in, turn left, two blocks. LOWER prices, new ships, small groups, multiple reefs prior to swimming with the Sting Ray. find them via google.

Cozumel: Chakanaub Park..Taxi from ship. Great family day..You can purchase Dolphin swim through them and save $$$$ versus the ship's over priced version.

Carlos N Charlie's leaps and bounds over hard Rock Cafe.

in cozumel we LOVED paradise beach.....in ocho rios i've heard that a day pass to either breezes or sandals is the thing to do there and my biggest recommendation is for the caymans.......

NATIVEWAY REEF RAYS AND RUM POINT.

nativeway is a company that is top notch and extremely professional. they pick you up at the port and take only about 20 people at a time. 1st you go to a reef for snorkeling...then swimming with the sting rays.....then they hand you a menu for lunch and you go to RUM POINT. this is possibly the nicest beach i've ever been to and i've been all over the caribbean.

when you get to rum point.....lunch is waiting for you. this was one of our favorite excursions. have a great cruise:D

Ocho Rios is the only port I wouldn't venture off on my own without either a ship's tour or a private tour guide. We've been there twice, and went river tubing both times. It is one of my family's all-time favorite excursions. The first time, we booked through the ship, and the second time, we booked with Marva Shaw (www.knowjamaica.com), a private tour guide who comes highly recommended on Cruise Critic. She and her son gave us a much more individualized and attentive tour for less than half the price of the ship's tour. She offers lots of different packages, like Tubing and the Falls.

I suggest going to the Ports of Call boards on Cruise Critic for each of these ports. You'll get great ideas for what to do, and how to make your own arrangements for doing it.

Thanks for all the great information...

Myself and my son (He's 8) just did the Atlantis Submarine in Cozumel last month and it was very neat..:D I was also in Cozumel this last Feb on a Boy's trip and did the Playa Mia Deluxe Beach Break and it was a fun all inclusive Beach day which we rented Jet Ski's (For Cash-Did not have to give them a Credit Card which I liked) and got massages on the Beach. TIME WELL SPENT !!:eek: :D The Beach did get busy later in the day as most of the cruiselines use this Beach for their excursions.

I agree with cruzobsessed about Nativeway Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour in Grand Cayman! It is the BEST!

We had a SUPER tour guide in Jamaica. His name is Trevor Hudlin (cooltrevh@yahoo.com ). He is FANTASTIC! We have had so many friends tour with him since we did, that we have made him an official member of our school district family!

Trevor took us to climb Dunn's River Falls, tubing on the White River, and to eat lobster at Lobster Dave's (Fisherman's Beach next to Margaritaville...don't let the looks of the place scare you away). We would all go back to Jamaica just to tour with Trevor. We still stay in touch with him and it's been over 3 years!

Thanks..

Not to miss:

Jamaica - tubing the White River; eating lobster at Lobster Dave's (I know....I already said that....)

Grand Cayman - swimming with the stingrays; Rum Point

Coz - Coconuts (beach bar on the "wild side" of the island); snorkeling near Chankanaab, by boat; the Punta Sur eco-preserve (take pictures of the lighthouse...the pics are awesome screensavers); shopping

To miss:

Jamaica - shopping (VERY aggressive vendors - don't buy "smoke" or "herbs"); Margaritaville (very touristy)

Grand Cayman - shopping (vendors are sullen and most stuff is pricey); any ship's shore excursion that involves inflatable boats and snorkeling

Coz - ship's shore excursions that involve snorkeling; tequila "factory" (more like a little reproduction/ museum and sales area...not a real factory)

So-so:

Jamaica - Dunn's River Falls (glad we climbed it....wouldn't do it again); Fern Gully (nothing to write home about)

Grand Cayman - nothing that I know of....haven't done everything there is to do there....

Coz - Carlos 'n Charlie's, Hard Rock; Dune Buggy Excursion (not off-road like we expected, but lunch on the beach was awesome!)

I have tons of pictures......if you are interested, e-mail me at endtedda@aol.com .

I just got back from our Enchantment cruise yesterday, we went to the Discover Mexico park in Cozumel. Loved, loved, loved it! If you like history and art, it was great. I fell in love with the museum portion of it.

Costs about $25 pp, includes transpo, and then tipping the guide is extra. The return taxi will take you to the shopping areas instead of the ship if you want.

I strongly recommend going to Passion Island for the day. It's an all inclusive day (transportation is also included in the price). They have Mexican buffet, open bar, chairs, umbrellas, water trampoline, and my dh's favorite, hammocks in the shade! Some of the Corona beer commercials were filmed there; it's just a gorgeous, quiet paradise. We booked thru tourcozumel (dot) net Took a taxi then a boat over to the island, stayed all day long. It was great!

In Grand Cayman, we always go to 7 mile beach. We don't rent chairs, we just find some palms and lay under them, but stay within walking distance of a beach club in case we want food/drinks.

And while I can't recommend it yet because I haven't been there, we are going to try the Sunset Jamaica Grande resort. They offer an All inclusive day pass for $45. The pool there looks awesome.

Have a great time on your cruise!! :)

Jamaica: stay on the ship

Grand cayman: Captain Marvin. Sting Ray City. Use you do the sting ray trip, not to be missed, and you do it through the ship, you will feel like you are ona NY Subway...packed in, tons of people...jammed.

Captain Marvin..Tender in, turn left, two blocks. LOWER prices, new ships, small groups, multiple reefs prior to swimming with the Sting Ray. find them via google.

Cozumel: Chakanaub Park..Taxi from ship. Great family day..You can purchase Dolphin swim through them and save $$$$ versus the ship's over priced version.

Carlos N Charlie's leaps and bounds over hard Rock Cafe.

Why should they stay on the ship in Jamaica? Ill be going there on "Oasis" and i think if you book an excuision it will be ok.

Why should they stay on the ship in Jamaica? Ill be going there on "Oasis" and i think if you book an excuision it will be ok.

I agree that staying on the ship is poor advice - if you book through the ship or a CC recommended tour guide, you should have a wonderful and safe time.

Oasis will be dicking at the new pier in Falmouth, not the usual Ocho Rios or Montego Bay, so not sure what's available there, but surely the ship will offer interesting and safe excursions.

Ocho Rios we did a horse back - beach excursion booked through RCL. We enjoyed it, first time riding a horse in the water.:)

Grand Cayman we did the Jeep island tour. It was a waste of time, don't do it. Did not like Grand Cayman at all, it was to crowded. They had about 5 ships in port when we stopped.:mad:

Cozumel we did an island tour on a tour bus. It went around the island, stopped at a tequila factory, and stopped in the shopping district of town. Nothing special about this tour.:cool:

I just returned from a week in Jamaica -- and in Ocho Rios if you want to try the newest thing --- jump in a cab and go to Mystic Mountain. It's about 5 minutes from the pier. You take a "chair lift" up the mountain -- it is a beautiful ride with awesome views of the ocean and the ship. At the top - you have a couple of options -- there is a restaurant, gift shop, a waterslide. But --- for fun lovers --- do the bobsled ride down the mountain!!! It is so much fun! There is also a zip line trip -- there are 5 lines and it is a lot of fun! I think the price to do everything (chair lift, bob sled and zip line) is $124.00. So much fun!!!

What about Nachi Cocum in Cozumel? I read on one of the posts that it was great. A private beach that only takes 100 people per day .... cost is $49.00 per person and includes all the drinks and a buffet lunch.

You have to take a taxi. You can book through Island Marketing.

We have reservations on our 10/04 cruise. Anyone gone to this private beach???

Vickie

Check out Island Marketing Inc. for excursions. They offer the same sort of excursions as the ships and usually cheaper, and have smaller groups. When we were in Ocho Rios there were only the two of us on our trip. Did Dunes River Falls and went down the White River on a bamboo raft. While in Grand Cayman, do not miss String Ray City, take a waterproof camera.

Have Fun

Archived