Have you been to COCOCAY?

TwoWeebles

Have you been to Cococay? Please tell me about it. What is it like? What kinds of things can you do there? We are probably not going to do an expensive excursion, so I am more interested in what ELSE there is to do there? Thanks so much!

Well, I have been there 12 times, so I guess I have been to Coco Cay! :) It is a great island, larger and prettier than it looks from the ship. I would recommend grabbing a seaside lounge chair at the opposite side of the island (the side facing the Atlantic), as that side has no kids and it seriously like your own island!

For activities, they have the BBQ, but also have kyacks and sailboats for rent. We enjoy the sailboat on a breezy day because you can go off to some of the other islands around COCO CAY. Also, be sure to rent a float so you can lounge in the shallow ocean waters.

There are shops and bars on the island too. If you have the chance, go parasailing!!

Hope you enjoy COCO CAY as much as I do!

its an atoll, not really sand but finely ground shells and limestone. Has palm trees with hammocks strung up and down the beaches. You can walk to the other side where its windier but less crowded. Only the workers live there. There is a little straw market, you pay for your drinks like you do on the ship, you pay to do anything except lay in a hammock or chaise lounger. Those are free. Parasailing is $79 per person. Float mats are $10 per person, I think the sea kayaking was $39 per person. The ship sends over lunch and is your basic hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs, chicken, salads, same free punch, lemonade, ice tea as in WJ. Same stuff they do at the poolside BBQ except with flies added for protein.

And it you like to Snorkel, it is great. We take our own snorkel gear, and just snorkel all over the place. Saw really cool stuff (huge stingray included) the last time we were there.

Just a fab beach to relax and enjoy the sun. We take walks around the beach, go the the market, snorkel, but mostly lay in the sun and watch the world go by.

My DH & I were there last year. It is beautiful and my favorite port so far. We went snorkeling and saw lots of beautiful fish and a stingray. I think we spent 2 hrs. in the water. We took a walk almost to the end of the island and saw lots of nice shells. The water is absolutely beautiful with lots of blues & greens and it's clear. I'm sad we'll be missing Cococay on our next trip in '09 but will make it a priority on the next trip (after Alaska!).

I've been there twice (unable to go on one cruise because the water was too rough to tender) and I've done parasailing and jet skiing. I have to say, the jet skiis were a blast! I'd heard bad things about it, but decided to go for it, anyways and it was worth it. You get to go far out nearly to one of the other islands (the one NCL uses) at full throttle. Plus, the guide I had gave us some history info on one of the stops out on the water. He even reached down into the water and got a star fish and handed it all around.

Parasailing was really fun, too but it is a fairly quick trip.

As for the island itself, I walked the "nature trail" that is on the island last time - it's 1 mile each way and I really enjoyed it. I walked back through the water along the beach around the island on the return trip.

There were always one or two lively volleyball games going when we were there. People would just join in or quit whenever they wanted to. There was no charge for this as far as I could tell.

The Cocolocos are tasty and refreshing. The water is very nice.

It was a good beach day.:)

Ahhh CocoCay has been my favorite place in the world thus far...

There is snorkeling which isn't very much money. You can rent floating mats and flot around the beautiful waters all day. You can relax under palms in a hammock and shop at the little shops. Wonder the nature trail. Play on the inflatable tos. kayack, parasail, ect. There is a big buffet on the island.

I always just snorkel, float and chill and drink plently of Coco Loco's of course!!!!

I am going back in Jan and I cannot wait!!! :D

There's no reason to do any "paid" excursions here! Coco Cay is a beach day, pure and simple. They have a lovely BBQ lunch and there are plenty of chairs, hammocks, sand, sun, surf ... to relax and have fun with.

They do have waverunners (Hobie Cats) but they make you "follow the leader" on them--you can't go on your own and do your own thing. Most of the time, you'll be waiting for the slowpokes to catch up to the front of the line, (or, if you're a slowpoke, holding up everyone else while YOU catch up!)

This is part of the cruise you've already paid for--there's no need to spend extra money at this stop!

We visited Coco Cay twice -- once on our honeymoon in 1991, and then again in 2003.

I have to say there's a big part of me that liked it better in '91. Back then, it was very undeveloped. It had a "Survivor" kind of feel to it! There was basically just the beach and some snorkeling, and they had a lunch BBQ on land... and it was included in the price of the cruise.

When we visited a few years ago, it had been built up a LOT since those days. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice and a fun place to spend a day, but I kinda miss the undeveloped charm it had a number of years back.

Both Coco Cay and Labadee are wonderful! Being to both, I prefer Labadee just a little bit more, though it's been awhile for both and I've heard there's been lots of improvements on both.

You get the best of the beach worlds! No charge to go on the beach, beautiful, clean, nobody hassling you to buy something - though there is a flea straw market if you're interested in looking. You'll feel very safe and can enjoy the food on the island (since it's from the ship!)

I've done parasailing, snorkeling and just lounging. All exquisite!! Be sure to wear waterproof sunscreen since you can spend so much more time in the water, it's WAY TOO EASY to get sunburned.

You will enjoy it no matter what you do!

Stephanie :cool:

Well, I have been there 12 times, so I guess I have been to Coco Cay! :) It is a great island, larger and prettier than it looks from the ship. I would recommend grabbing a seaside lounge chair at the opposite side of the island (the side facing the Atlantic), as that side has no kids and it seriously like your own island!

For activities, they have the BBQ, but also have kyacks and sailboats for rent. We enjoy the sailboat on a breezy day because you can go off to some of the other islands around COCO CAY. Also, be sure to rent a float so you can lounge in the shallow ocean waters.

There are shops and bars on the island too. If you have the chance, go parasailing!!

Hope you enjoy COCO CAY as much as I do!

I think that still puts you behind LuckyStacy13 or whatever her user name was. :)

I have a RCCL map of Coco Cay which shows paths going one to the right and one to the left , and I hear you when you say go to the far side of the island for a little "privacy", and I'm sure some of my travel mates know the answer, but I'd still like to ask: Which path?:confused: The Atlantic would be to the left? But, wait a minute it's to the right. No, it's all around us. I once read from someone that going to the right then following the path toward what is known as Coconut Willies is a very private area (but how can that be when the Fisher Price area and the water slide is so close.

Do I sound confuse? I probably am.... HELP!

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback. I am so excited. We are going in February. Have any of y'all been in February? What is the weather like? Is it warm enough to swim?

We've been three times in February and once in October. Every time was just beautiful. Once in February, it was chilly in the morning but then the wind died down and it felt warmer.

I really enjoy Coco Cay. I hurry over to the far end of the island where the hammocks are hung on palm trees and Australian pines provide a dappled shade. It is a relaxing, peaceful day.

So is any place on CocoCay is as good as any other for snorkeling? Or are there some particularly good spots?

Are the jellyfish absolutely everywhere? I've heard more than once people complaining about jellyfish at CocoCay. Otherwise, it sounds great!

I too am wondering about where the quiet side of the island is. With your back to the ocean when you land, would I go right or left to get there?

Anyone have a scan of the CocoCay island map? Is it online?

Archived