Aft Cabin ?

woneill63

I just booked cabin # 1688, deck 10, on the Navigator. It is a four day cruise, starting on Feb 5, out of Ft Lauderdale. I have been on the Navigator, and the Mariner, many times before. I have always had a balcony but never on the back. Looks like a long walk to the stairs and elevators. Is it worth it ? Also, is the cabin and deck larger ? I appreciate any feedback.

The balcony should be much larger than staterooms on the side of the ship in the same category. On the Voyager class the aft balconies do have some mild obstructions from metal superstructure of the ship. If you are not physically challenged the walk to the evelvators/stairs should not be a big deal. If you do have some mobility problems then it may be prudent to change. While the aft staterooms are not as highly sought out on the Voyager class as on the Radiance class (due to that metal superstructure) they do have the large balcony which for most is a big plus. I personally would rather have the aft than a side, but you have to decide what is best for you. If search is working you should be able to use it to find some pictures of this or a similar balcony.

I just booked cabin # 1688, deck 10, on the Navigator. It is a four day cruise, starting on Feb 5, out of Ft Lauderdale. I have been on the Navigator, and the Mariner, many times before. I have always had a balcony but never on the back. Looks like a long walk to the stairs and elevators. Is it worth it ? Also, is the cabin and deck larger ? I appreciate any feedback.

You bet it's worth it! Check out this thread for some pictures, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=847693, or click on my AOS review link for even more pictures and the view you'll have at various ports, etc. It's almost as big as a JS, just not as deep and no tub or walk-in closet and the balcony is 5X the size of a side cabin. You'll love it!

This cabin is a WIDE as a JS, just not as deep. We had the same cabin last month on the Explorer, and LOVED it.

Bigger balcony as well.

There's a pole in the room and on the balcony that you will have to navigate around, but so much better than a D1!

We experienced our first aft this past July on the Mariner (a D1) and it was wonderful! The walk was not long and the Windjammer/pool area were near our room so that we could just walk up one flight of stairs and be where we needed to go - no elevator!

We have booked another aft on the Freedom for next summer and can't wait! The sound of the aft wake is something you just can't describe...sorry, I was drifting back :-)

Book that aft and have a great time!

We personally prefer aft. I love the view of ports, wakes etc. Walks are not bad for us. We have found it very quiet also. Looking forward to our first corner afts in 2009

But be warned every ship we have been on there is more motion aft than other parts of ships, even higher up.

This is the best non suite cabin. The interior is much larger than

a regular D1. The balcony is huge. The walk is a non issue. The

benefit of being in the aft is there is so little foot traffic and so little

noise. I have had this cabin twice and have it booked for a third time.

Good choice.

Thanks for helping me out with all the info. I usually book a room as close to the stairs/elevators as possible. I have had a grand suite twice before when I went with the wife and kids on spring break cruises, this is an all guys cruise, so I am sharing a room with a brother and a brother-in-law. That extra room will come in handy. I just found out yesterday that I am eligible for a prior military discount, 25 percent, that's a big help.

Toonjie, you are the man ! Thanks for the pictures.

OMG, you are going to LOVE this cabin....

Do a search on the boards for 1688 OR 1388 and see what comes up if you want to see the cabin in it's full glory.

I always tell people not to book these rooms because they are haunted..I have my reasons!!!

Aft cabins are haunted, smelly, dirty and they make you work! Where do you think the fish comes from? The aft'ers must troll the ocean on sea days with a small rod and reel to feed the masses!!

Don't book an aft cabin! (You see, then there will be one left for me!;) )

Archived