Copenhagen disembark - few questions

We'll be disembarking from Copenhagen 5/26/09 and I understand the ship arrives at port at 5am. Flight is at 9am which means we want to be at the aiport by 7am. Is it better to puchase a princess transfer or to just hope that there are cabs outside at 6am, assuming we can walk off at 6am with our luggage as we pack lightly.

Also, has anyone stayed at the Hilton and is it close to the city center and port? We'll be spending the night there before embarking on 5/16.

I doubt that Princess will honor and book transfers for a flight that is booked that close to arrival time. That's quite close to be flying out, there could be delays with immigration, the ship arriving late, etc. I know on our last cruise Princess didn't suggest we fly out any earlier than 1pm and we arrived in NY at 7am. I have also been on cruises where the disembarkation has been held up and know of passenger that missed their flights. I personally would not book a flight, especially an international flight any earlier than early afternoon. Most airlines will make you purchase another ticket if you are late and miss your flight.

Copenhagen airport is quite a ways from the pier, and depending on how many ships arrive that morning cabs could be in short supply. When we disembarked we didn't have any problem, we were off early and could have been to the airport by 8am. Instead we spent the morning walking around and seeing Copenhagen before taking the train to the airport arriving around 1pm. The lines at the Copenhagen airport when we flew were very long. Fortunately we had Business seats with preferred check in or we would have spent an hour in line.

I sure wish we could book a later flight but the only flight that's direct to NYC is at 9am. I did read of another person who made the 9am flight last year but not sure if they took a cab on their own or a princess transfer. they said that there were luggage tags for the 9am continental flight on the bags in the halls but like you said there is no guarantee!

this may sound crazy, but to try to avoid staying one more night in copenhagen and then returning on may 27 instead of may 26 at 9am, i figured that it would be the same price to fly out of oslo norway on the morning of may 26 at 11am. What do you think of the idea of not returning to the ship in oslo, and spending the night there off the ship and then flying home from oslo instead of continuing on to copenhagen (which we'll see on our way in) and get home on time?

Do you know if it's ok to miss the ship in oslo and just stay there and fly back from there the next morning?

Personally, I wouldn't get off earlier, I'm paying for "x" number of days and I want to enjoy my entire cruise. Why wouldn't you want to stay a day in Copenhagen? there is so much to see there and it's an easy town to get around in. When we left, we actually departed CPH that afternoon to Amsterdam and had an over night there and continued on the next day back to Orlando. Wasn't too bad that way either and like I said before, I enjoyed the time we spent in Copenhagen when we got off the ship.

In response to the question about the Hilton, it is AT the airport, attached by a sky bridge and walkway. Very nice hotel. We are staying there again both on our arrival and departure next year.

It is not close to downtown and the port, but transportation is easy. There is a metro stop inside the skybridge right by the hotel that will take you straight downtown.

Taxi to the port is right outside the door.

I know it sounds crazy getting off in oslo, but the idea is that we will be spending an extra day in copenhagen on the way there on the 15th, (so we arrive a day early in copenhagen, have almost 2 days to see the sights and don't miss the ship if our flight is delayed out of NYC which they always are!).

Then instead of getting on the ship in oslo on the 25th and sailing into copenhagen and having to spend an extra night there and not get home till the 28th we are going to depart the ship in oslo, stay the night in Norway and get to see a little more of oslo than just the 5 hours the ship is there - and catch an 11am flight the next morning home. This way we get to see more of norway, and get to sleep in a bit to catch our 11am flight and get home a day early than spending another night in copenhagen. I love to travel, but by the 11th night i'm ready to get home to my dog whose gonna be at a daycare...

Cruise lines frown on getting off early. There are immigration matters to consider. The only reliable source for an answer to your question about getting off in Oslo is direct from the cruise line itself.

In Copenhagen I would recommend prearranging a taxi for the trip to the airport. It would have to be quicker than waiting for a transfer bus to fill and sorting out luggage. Keep in mind ships must clear local authorities before anyone is let off. Again I would only trust information on this direct from the cruise line. A lot of things can delay disembarkation and you don't have much time to waste.

Spoke to the rep at Princess and she said it would be ok, just to call them in March so that they can advise the ship of our plans...and she said we'd have to check out at the purser desk and finalize our bill and then arrange our own transportation from the ship to the hotel, but I think we could figure that out. Although I did have someone post on the princess forum that he just came back from copenhagen and he made his 9am flight that morning...i'm just worried if I miss it we'll be stuck paying the difference to fly out the next day, and we'll be late getting home for work....so many decisions!!

Spoke to the rep at Princess and she said it would be ok, just to call them in March so that they can advise the ship of our plans...and she said we'd have to check out at the purser desk and finalize our bill and then arrange our own transportation from the ship to the hotel, but I think we could figure that out. Although I did have someone post on the princess forum that he just came back from copenhagen and he made his 9am flight that morning...i'm just worried if I miss it we'll be stuck paying the difference to fly out the next day, and we'll be late getting home for work....so many decisions!!

This is a great idea -- it also was something I had considered on our Baltic Cruise.

I would speak to a different Princess Rep for confirmation of getting off in Oslo -- It shouldn't be a problem but ------- Hope you have a name of the person who told you no problem.

• 1 month later...

If you start/end your cruise in CPN you do not have to clear customs ..just walk off the ship

You may want to arrange a taxi to meet you at 6:am the airport is not too far from Langelinie Pier

http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/content/cruise_copenhagen/more_facts_and_info/map

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist/plan_and_book/how_to_get_here/from_the_harbour

Nghthawke,

We were booked on the 10:15 Air Canada to Frankfurt on Aug 14/09. We will be on the Emerald Princess which is scheduled to dock at 5:00am. We didn't think to check with Princess until after we had booked the flight using Aeroplan points. Princess said there was no way they could guarantee making a 10:15 flight - they suggested a flight after 1:00pm. We are now staying an extra night and flying out on the same flight the next day as we couldn't get any other flight on points.

Lisa

I've done a little bit more research and found afternoon Air Canada flights that go through Heathrow instead of Frankfurt. I wouldn't book flights through Heathrow at the start of a vacation but am not too worried about it at the end of a vacation.

• 1 month later...

Last year we had a 9:30 flight out of Copenhagen and had self walk off the ship. We made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare. I think we sat there for at least 2 hours. We were on the Crown and I remember it getting into port earlier than what was posted.

I was just getting ready to book our flight out of Copenhagen at 11:00am and then read this thread. Ugh! More stress! The Eurodam is scheduled to arrive in port at 7:00am. I figured 4 hours would be enough time. We've always been able to walk right off our cruises.

It sounds like we may be pushing it. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of choices flying directly from Europe to the US and I can't take another day off work. I did see that another airline has a 12:20pm flight out. It will cost us another $200 per ticket.

Has anyone else had experience making an 11:00am flight with a 7:00am arrival to port? Thanks!

I was just getting ready to book our flight out of Copenhagen at 11:00am and then read this thread. Ugh! More stress! The Eurodam is scheduled to arrive in port at 7:00am. I figured 4 hours would be enough time. We've always been able to walk right off our cruises.

It sounds like we may be pushing it. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of choices flying directly from Europe to the US and I can't take another day off work. I did see that another airline has a 12:20pm flight out. It will cost us another $200 per ticket.

Has anyone else had experience making an 11:00am flight with a 7:00am arrival to port? Thanks!

I just booked Delta 11am flight, we plan on one suitcase each and doing self disembark so we can walk off early

Mahasamatman,

I would guess that an earlier flight is not a problem if disembarkation starts as planned at 5:00. Princess's official line to us was that they could not guarantee that we would make a 10:15am flight - the ship could be delayed etc. We considered risking it but decided that since we are travelling with two children we didn't want to feel stressed about making our flight and our connection out of Frankfurt so we changed the flight to the next day.

Delays with the ship returning to Copenhagen can happen. I'd allow more time before the flight.

And it was not easy getting a taxi at the pier at disembarkation. Try to pre arrange transportation to pick you up, holding a sign with YOUR name on it.

Also check which pier your ship will be at.

Princess used Frihaven (Freeport).

• 2 weeks later...

Eurodam, Copenhagen, 2007--our international flight back to US had 3 hour check-in time. Cab line was very long. At least the cabs are nice new Mercedes so they don't look like they are held together with baling wire. Airport check-in and security lines were very long and slow. So make haste-ask for help getting to right lines when you enter airport-pitfalls are everywhere! Most of the crowd seemed to be from the ships in port!

• 2 weeks later...
Mahasamatman,

I would guess that an earlier flight is not a problem if disembarkation starts as planned at 5:00. Princess's official line to us was that they could not guarantee that we would make a 10:15am flight - the ship could be delayed etc. We considered risking it but decided that since we are travelling with two children we didn't want to feel stressed about making our flight and our connection out of Frankfurt so we changed the flight to the next day.

I am on the 11am Delta the following day. Don't need the stress on my last day of vacation. I have seen to many people freaking out when the ship is late/immigration is late etc...ruins it for them and everyone in the area....

Archived