How close to the water?

D.P. Roberts

Most of the reports I've read about cruise ships state that most of the outdoor viewing spaces are on the upper decks, 10 stories or more above the surface of the water. In watching some videos about several HAL ships (like the Ryndam and Statendam - I think they're called s-class?), the Lower Promenade is obviously a lot closer to the water. In some videos it looks like this deck is only 30 feet or so above the water, but in the photos of the ship it looks like it's at least 50-60 feet or so. Does anyone know how high up this deck is? Do you get the feeling that you're "on the water", or something akin to looking down from a 5 story building?

Most of the reports I've read about cruise ships state that most of the outdoor viewing spaces are on the upper decks, 10 stories or more above the surface of the water. In watching some videos about several HAL ships (like the Ryndam and Statendam - I think they're called s-class?), the Lower Promenade is obviously a lot closer to the water. In some videos it looks like this deck is only 30 feet or so above the water, but in the photos of the ship it looks like it's at least 50-60 feet or so. Does anyone know how high up this deck is? Do you get the feeling that you're "on the water", or something akin to looking down from a 5 story building?

Count the number of decks between the deck you will be on.....and the water........times 10 ft per deck......that is how far more or less.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. The photo with the dock in the background helps - I know the Lower Promenade is Deck 3, and that means there's obviously two numbered decks below that. The real issue then is how many non-passenger decks are between deck 1 and the water line. Based on the two rows of windows below the Lower Promenade deck, it looks like there's room for at least two more unnumbered decks above the water line, meaning that the Lower Promenade deck is about 5 decks, or 50-60 feet up.

And, if you count down a bit, you'll see just how close I was when on the Main deck (the first floor with windows). You truly had the sense of being on the water. Particularly when the seas were high and I could see waves without going to the window! I loved it, and the ride was great. 2 years ago we were on the Upper Veranda deck (5th floor) and that was great, too. There isn't a bad view in the place (unless you're stuck behind a lifeboat, of course). When you look out over the water you don't get the sense of looking down, more like looking out.

Maybe these two pics will give you a better perspective as to the distance from the LP Deck to the waterline. This is Ryndam, the third "S"-class ship

IMG_6162.jpg?t=1222407770

IMG_5904-1.jpg?t=1222407807

The sailor conducting maintenance underneath lifeboat #11 is standing on the ground so higher than the waterline

Thanks for the photo, Copper10-8, I think that captures it. I didn't know how to explain the feeling I was trying to describe, but jryzbird hit the nail on the head - "When you look out over the water you don't get the sense of looking down, more like looking out." That's what I'm after!

................The real issue then is how many non-passenger decks are between deck 1 and the water line. Based on the two rows of windows below the Lower Promenade deck, it looks like there's room for at least two more unnumbered decks above the water line, meaning that the Lower Promenade deck is about 5 decks, or 50-60 feet up.

There's B-Deck, a non-passenger deck (with the exception of Sick Bay/The Medical Center being located there) and, pretty sure, one more below that

Thanks for the photo, Copper10-8, I think that captures it. I didn't know how to explain the feeling I was trying to describe, but jryzbird hit the nail on the head - "When you look out over the water you don't get the sense of looking down, more like looking out." That's what I'm after!
But jrzebird was on the Noordam, according to her signature. We were on the Veendam A deck, across from the Infirmary, and we were still a good 25 to 30 feet above the water. When we hit some 20 foot seas we could see the tops of some waves almost straight out.

There's B-Deck, a non-passenger deck (with the exception of Sick Bay/The Medical Center being located there) and, pretty sure, one more below that
The Infirmary is on A deck, which is a passenger deck. In your pic B deck has the portholes, and C deck has no windows.

And, if you count down a bit, you'll see just how close I was when on the Main deck (the first floor with windows). You truly had the sense of being on the water. Particularly when the seas were high and I could see waves without going to the window! I loved it, and the ride was great. 2 years ago we were on the Upper Veranda deck (5th floor) and that was great, too. There isn't a bad view in the place (unless you're stuck behind a lifeboat, of course). When you look out over the water you don't get the sense of looking down, more like looking out.

Here's a couple of pics from Oosterdam's (another Vista) Promenade Deck in JAN 07 on the way back to San Diego with some decent swells

IMG_5729.jpg?t=1222409694

IMG_5731.jpg?t=1222409994

Great photos. Thanks, John.

When standing at the rail on Promenade Deck of "S" class ships, you are looking down a fair distance. Certainly a different view from when we look down from Navigation Deck but not a feeling of being able to reach out and touch the water by any means.

... but not a feeling of being able to reach out and touch the water by any means.

I think when I'm looking down at a pilot boat, or a tender on the water, or a tender-loading platform, the water seems a lot further down than when I'm just looking at empty water.

Looking out at the sea from the promenade deck (probably 40 feet above the water) gives two complertely different perspectives -depending on your sight angle. If you look straight down, the distance to the water is probably seven or eight times your height - and accordingly seems far. When you look towards the horizon (at that height, probably 30 miles away) the line of sea and sky looks just as far away as it would were you just a few feet above sea level --

This is more due to the size of the ocean than ones absolute proximity to it. I got the same feeling of "looking out" from the crows nest of an aircraft carrier, WAAY up there.

And, as the saying goes, "That's just the top of the water".

Cheers

Mark

I'm curious about this issue in regards to Alaska. One of the reasons I'm thinking about HAL is this lower promenade deck. I like the idea of booking an oceanview (I doubt we could afford a balcony), but being able to go right outside & on deck to look at interesting things going by - wildlife, coastlines, icebergs, glaciers, etc. I know that most of these things won't be too close to the ship, but it seems like they might feel closer if one is closer to the water. So, given the same itinerary, I'm leaning towards an S-class ship over a Vista-class ship (depending on what ships are sailing to Alaska in a year or two). Or is this irrelevant?

This is more due to the size of the ocean than ones absolute proximity to it. I got the same feeling of "looking out" from the crows nest of an aircraft carrier, WAAY up there.

And, as the saying goes, "That's just the top of the water".

Cheers

Mark

Kinda like this?

Picture041.jpg?t=1222574016

Picture046.jpg?t=1222574086

We nearly always take a cabin on the lowest deck in an S class HAL ship - in Alaska you can see a lot from the window - the small icebergs are only about 50 feet from the ship and you can see the intense blue colour. also we saw whales, porpoises, seals etc from our window. It always gives us a sense of being close to the water on that deck.

In a storm you can have your windows washed by the waves - and we have - 20 foot waves in Alaska and 32 foot waves in the Tasman Sea.

We also book a table by a window right at the back of the dining room - you can see a lot from there - we have seen mountain goats on the side of the hills and the view is always spectacular with the long daylight hours.

The promenade deck is just a couple of decks up for the main viewing and only takes a couple of minutes to get up there.

One of the reasons I'm thinking about HAL is this lower promenade deck.
We had a DD on L.P. deck on the Statendam in AK. We loved the fast access to the outside on either side, at a lower price than a D or DA down on the Main deck. However, don't get a cabin that's right next to the doors to the outside (such as 415 or 416) , as they tend to get slammed a lot! :)

Archived