Mount Roberts Tramway in Juneau

clleste

We're considering taking the Tram up Mount Roberts in Juneau. Has anyone done this? Does anyone recommend taking the Tram in Junea.

So far this is our planned Itenerary:

Seward: Kenai Fjords

Skagway: White Pass & Yukon Railway

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords Flightseeing

The only thing right now that we're planning in Juneau is Mendenahall Glacier via MGT, but want to do something else too. Does anyone recommend the tram up Mt. Roberts? Right now, we're not planning to take a whale cruise because we're hoping to have sightings on the cruise ship and at Kenai Fjords. Could this be sufficient? The tram up Mt. Roberts sounds interesting.

always WAIT until in Juneau to decide on the tram. IF you can not see the top, it really isn't worth going up, and weather as you should know, is very unpredictable in Alaska, Yes, I have and many others have taken the tram. Very worthwhile with the interest.

IF humpbacks are a priority to see, from your cruiseship, I strongly suggest you DO your homework and know what areas are likely spots, a must- a good pair of WIDE Angle binoculars and the "requirement" for you to spend a significant amount out time out on a front open deck- ideal, or front viewing area. Most of these sightings are distant and brief. You are bound to get those- "close up" reports but these are extremely rare. Do NOT expect whale sightings on Kenai fjords boat trips, unlike a "whale watch" these trips are route based. IF whales are on the "route" then you can see them, but they do not stray off the route too far. My sightings with many trips in Kenai Fjords has only run about 50%. But overall a whale watch is definately superior, and I am always on them. :)

We're considering taking the Tram up Mount Roberts in Juneau. Has anyone done this? Does anyone recommend taking the Tram in Junea.

So far this is our planned Itenerary:

Seward: Kenai Fjords

Skagway: White Pass & Yukon Railway

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords Flightseeing

The only thing right now that we're planning in Juneau is Mendenahall Glacier via MGT, but want to do something else too. Does anyone recommend the tram up Mt. Roberts? Right now, we're not planning to take a whale cruise because we're hoping to have sightings on the cruise ship and at Kenai Fjords. Could this be sufficient? The tram up Mt. Roberts sounds interesting.

Sure, why not. Its a short ride but the views are really nice. I hiked up and they only charged me $5.25 to ride down.

http://www.goldbelttours.com/travel/day_trips/juneau/tram.html#Mount_Roberts_Tramway

Tom

You don't get a discount if you buy your Tram ticket on your ship. As there are no refunds, a lot of folks get ripped off when the weather is bad.

Don't buy your ticket in the morning if you planning on going up in the afternoon. Wait until the last minute... No refunds!

Prices are going up for 2009.

Whale watching was not originally on my itinerary because I was hoping that we'd have sufficient opportunities to see them from the cruise ship or on our Kenai Fjords tour (as a friend of mine that went told me they saw some really close up on their Kenai Fjords tour). Anyway, I'm understanding now that if whale watching is a priority, I shouldn't count on those. Well, I wouldn't say it is a priority, but I would like to see them. I have several other excursions I am planning already, but want to hear opions on how everyone ranks whale watching among these: Kenai Fjords, Misty Fjords Flightseeing, White Pass & Yukon, and Mendenhall Glacier. This is our first cruise to AK. Do you think whlale watching is a must see?

As the others said. There is no reason to get a tram ticket unless the weather is clear. As far as Mendenhall glacier goes, there are buses at the pier which will take you there for a small charge - several years ago it was $5 each way - I'm sure it has gone up by now, but there is a lot to do at Mendnhall on your own. Nancy

It was very foggy early in the day. As the fog cleared we went and bought a ticket that included a bus to Mendenhall Glacier and also Mt Roberts tram. We enjoyed both of these very much! We saw several bears at Mendenahall Glacier so we were quite happy with these tours. We purposely didn't plan an excursion because we had heard the weather can be so unpredictable....Please don't miss the glacier....we have some beautiful pictures!

Whale watching was not originally on my itinerary because I was hoping that we'd have sufficient opportunities to see them from the cruise ship or on our Kenai Fjords tour (as a friend of mine that went told me they saw some really close up on their Kenai Fjords tour). Anyway, I'm understanding now that if whale watching is a priority, I shouldn't count on those. Well, I wouldn't say it is a priority, but I would like to see them. I have several other excursions I am planning already, but want to hear opions on how everyone ranks whale watching among these: Kenai Fjords, Misty Fjords Flightseeing, White Pass & Yukon, and Mendenhall Glacier. This is our first cruise to AK. Do you think whlale watching is a must see?

I would rank whale watching and Kenai Fjords as tops, Misty Fjords and the train as second, and Mendenhall if I had time.

Only you can answer this. I have done all of your list, many times. Each of us has their favorites.

Once again, you MAY have some good sightings of humpbacks from a cruiseship, orcas are rarer, both of these are pure chance. Most often, they are distant and brief looks. You need to determine for yourself, how much effort you are willing to invest in. For me, I always see plenty from the ship, but I also spend just about my entire sailing time out looking, and I also know the areas. IF your ship has a naturalist, they can offer you excellent advice. But with these looks, you can expect to be out hours for 2 minutes of viewing. It's essential for the most view to be able to track from ahead, then follow. Reason for the important WIDE ANGLE binoculars, necessity.

I am always out on deck, but I am always on a whale watch too. This is my touring priority, you will need to decide what is yours?

Ankorage to Seward - unless you are super gung-ho on the train, take the bus, it follows the train route and is faster. You will either get to the ship sooner to relax or you can take the highly recommened Kenai Tour.

Kenai Tour - Lots of birds - our captain was fast to find unusual species and welcomed birders to the crowsnest for sightings. Endangered Steller seals, sealions and amazing views! We didn't have a good whale day - few humpbacks, no breaching, not ever a good tale flip. Yet we had an EXCELLENT glacier day - very active, pops, whistles and a ton of calving!!!

Haines/Skagway - Georgeous day - it was 75 and sunny. We docked in Haines and were disappointed that the White Pass Railroad Excursions were cancelled due to issues with the ferry to Skagway. Couldn't even get to Skagway to shop craft and custom jewely / art shops.

In Haines, quaint town, without not much to do. Nice little park just to right of pier with very old cemetery (cool) and Eagle nesting site (saw fledgeling). We killed time at Eagle preserve and Hammer museum (both so-so at best). There were some local guides near the pier who will take you up to see totem pole carvings, that was a nice.

Juneau - We were glad we didn't purchase Tramway in advance. When we arrived it was foggy and as the day went on foggier! We opted for off the ship Mendenhall Glacier tour $14 RT. It was a good 30 minute ride to the glacier.

Look at the map and take the trails to and from the visitor center. There is only one steep part, and easily walkable for people of average fitness level. There were very few people on the trails which wind around streams of salmon and there were bears. We were under the impression we could walk out to the glacier. Not the case on the $14 tour. If you want to do that book the "photographers" tour.

Do your sight seeing early, then back to port to buy souveniers.

Look for the huge store with plenty of inexpensive souveniers for all.

Lots of things for under $5. If you don't get to shop here, Ketchican will give you another opportunity! Good place to pick up a $15 zipper stuff bag for souveniers that won't fit in your suitcase!

Ketchican - unless you like shopping, book an excursion. Unfortunately the day we were there it was rainy and windy and all excursions were cancelled. There are a couple of close by souvenier stores, we picked up very nice fleece jackets as souveniers for $15. Use that coupon book you received for discounts or fee bag! After finished shopping we went back to ship to play cards.

One thing to note: plan on eating on ship, I say this not due to expense of local places, but the lack thereof. We really didn't find any place of note off ship, and I'm one for trying the local food!

Those cheap souvenirs are all Made in China. They come in by the barge load each season.

Better not to buy anything in Alaska that buy that awful stuff. Those big shops are all owned by the cruise companies. They have put local business owners out of business.

The 2008 Toursaver had a 2 for 1 coupon for the tram. Don't know about the 09 book.

We were glad we went, although we would have felt it was overpriced if we had paid full admission. FYI, the tickets are good for unlimited use all day. We went up in the morning, and again in the late afternoon.

Ankorage to Seward - unless you are super gung-ho on the train, take the bus, it follows the train route and is faster. You will either get to the ship sooner to relax or you can take the highly recommened Kenai Tour.

One thing to note: plan on eating on ship, I say this not due to expense of local places, but the lack thereof. We really didn't find any place of note off ship, and I'm one for trying the local food!

Sorry, this is completely inaccurate. I will speculate you have NOT done both modes of travel Anchorage/Seward?? The train does NOT follow the highway over half the way, and is grossly superior for scenery with beautiful glacier views and valleys. They are not comparable.

You also missed some excellent restaurants, as they most certainly are there in ports. For others, do your homework and get recommendations if of interest for local food.

I will go to the local owner's shop and talk to owner about their work and purchase something from them. It doesn't have to be expensive. We got a couple of items for less than $100. Of course, it is more expensive than the $3 mass production you get from the cruiseline shops.

Those cheap souvenirs are all Made in China. They come in by the barge load each season.

Better not to buy anything in Alaska that buy that awful stuff. Those big shops are all owned by the cruise companies. They have put local business owners out of business.

There are still many locally owned shops/galleries in each city; you just need to walk several blocks away from the piers to find them! Always look for a "locally owned", "Alaska native", or some such sign in the window. Also, locally produced items are stamped as such.

There are many native artists whose works you'll find. I bought an Israel Shotridge piece in Skagway (which is funny, since his studio is here in the Pacific NW), and in Ketchikan I was thrilled to actually watch Holly Churchhill -- a master Haida weaver -- working on a bark basket in a small gallery. It doesn't get much better than that!

After I looked back at everyones comments and my post, I realized I left out critical information. Normally, I am all about off the beaten path. Finding the local places to eat and shop.

However, as it sometimes happens in Alaska the weather was very uncooperative on our two port days with 20+ mph sustained winds and pouring rain. Even though we had taken adaquet rain gear, exploring was limited. Thus we were pretty restricted to the "junk shops" near pier.

We are already planning a return trip (or two) hoping to experience more of the local artists and flavors.

Happy Trails everyone!

• 4 months later...

This is NOT TRUE of many places in Alaska. Hoonah (Icy Strait Point) has many made-in-Alaska products that cannot be purchased anywhere else. It depends on what city in Alaska you are talking about.

The Tram is still in the 2009 Tourbook. We will be using ours. Someone mentioned that they hiked up the mountain and took the tram down. How was the hike going up? We were thinking taking the Tram up and hiking down, sounds easier to me!

On a clear day you get a nice view.

If you like to hike I could see taking the tram up and hiking down. When I went up all the trails were closed due to snow. They told me before I got my ticket.

You can go up as offten as you like. Chances are you will dock next to it.

Get your ticket at the tram, not the ship. Probably the same price but you can change your mind.

Last time I was in Juneau I did Whale Watching with Orca/Larry's and it was the highlight of our cruise. I also did float plane etc.

Seeing the whales and orca up close like this was inbelievable. I highly reccomend this tour as you cannot gaurantee whales from just sitting on the ship.

Does anyone have a good reccomendation for a nice place to eat dinner in Skagway? We are in port until 8:30.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I confirmed the coupons for our cruise today with Toursaver.

Hi Brian--In Juneau, ride the Mt Roberts Tram or go whale watching or fishing. Also rainforest tour (Gastineau Gardens). In Skagway there is a food tour. In Ketchikan there is crab boat tour, kayaking and city tours.

Archived