Is Whale Watching a must see / do?

clleste

Whale watching was not originally on my itinerary because I was hoping that we'd have sufficient opportunities to see them from the cruise ship or on our Kenai Fjords tour (as a friend of mine that went told me they saw some really close up on their Kenai Fjords tour). Anyway, I'm understanding now that if whale watching is a priority, I shouldn't count on those. Well, I wouldn't say it is a priority, but I would like to see them. I have several other excursions I am planning already, but want to hear opions on how everyone ranks whale watching among these: Kenai Fjords, Misty Fjords Flightseeing, White Pass & Yukon, and Mendenhall Glacier. This is our first cruise to AK. Do you think whlale watching is a must see?

It sounds like you WOULD like to see whales, so I would say that yes it is a must do. The excursions you listed are all at different ports so you should be able to do them all and can do a whale watch and mendenhall glacier in Juneau. Although that's assuming $ are not an issue... ;)

For what it's worth, we are doing the same things you listed on our trip next summer!

Is Whale Watching a must see / do?

Yes!!!!! Your vantage point from the cruise ship is nothing like being close to the water in a small boat. JMHO but even my DH was beaming when we were done our whale watch (and it takes a LOT for him to beam). He hadn't wanted to whale watch AT ALL, and I very nearly cancelled HIS seat on the WW, he was that disinterested.

it depends...

you MIGHT see some from the cruise ship..BUT you will be up 7 to 12 decks. whale watching tours COULD allow you to be closer.

BUT you need to know the facts to make that decision.

1. most people only see tails/backs and fins. unless the humpback is very active...you won't see a breach or bubble-net feeding.

2. the tours boats have to stay 100 yds away, if the whale come to the boat, that's alright. but the boats can go nearer to the whales (hence good binoculars or zoom on the camera)

3. the weather is not always nice, we had rain the whole time (boat was warm, had nice inside viewing for the whimps)

4. cruise ship can't stop for whale viewing

to me, just being near enough to smell the fish on their breath (yes, you can smell it at 100 yds), seeing them slap their tails at the sea lions...i stayed excited for the whole 3 1/2 hrs. i could spend all day just hoping for to see one leap or have one come close (one did, but the rain made it hard to get a good view)

This is our first cruise to AK. Do you think whlale watching is a must see?

It really depends on you. I love whale watching and it is a must do if wherever I go and it is available. Juneau is the best place I have ever seen them. As someone else mentioned you can see Mendenhall and whale watching on the same day. Harv and Marv will stop on the way back for you. If times a concern skip Mendenhall. Also if money is an issue you might skip the train. Depends on what you like. Here is a picture I took last month in Juneau. You can see a few more pictures at my photo site link below. You will not see much of them from a cruise ship at all. It will be disappointing.

101593044.jpg

cp73 I loved your pictures of the whales on your web site. Gives me the chills.

To clleste: Watching the whales in Juneau on our 1st cruise was probably my favorite excursion in Alaska. (Alot of our whales were Orcas) I have always loved their gracefulness, and agree if $$ is problem I would skip Mendenhall. (Although it is also a great excursion)

Everyone has different expectations for Alaska. It looks like you are planning some wonderful excursions and seeing them in Kenai Fjord may give you all the whale watching you need I just can't get enough of them. For me on our next Alaska cruise the whale watching is a must see!:)

Whale watching was not originally on my itinerary because I was hoping that we'd have sufficient opportunities to see them from the cruise ship or on our Kenai Fjords tour (as a friend of mine that went told me they saw some really close up on their Kenai Fjords tour).

Killer whales are more common on the KF tour. Beyond that, whale sightings are the exception, not the rule.

Killer whales are more common on the KF tour. Beyond that, whale sightings are the exception, not the rule.

Actually this is not true. Humpbacks and Orcas are pure chance and Orcas are not seen more than humpbacks out of Kenai Fjords. In Kenai Fjords the Orcas are transients, and they have a huge range.

I have seen both, but of the overall time, extremely brief time of viewing and for me, averages less than 50% of my several trips.

Whale watching was not originally on my itinerary because I was hoping that we'd have sufficient opportunities to see them from the cruise ship or on our Kenai Fjords tour (as a friend of mine that went told me they saw some really close up on their Kenai Fjords tour). Anyway, I'm understanding now that if whale watching is a priority, I shouldn't count on those. Well, I wouldn't say it is a priority, but I would like to see them. I have several other excursions I am planning already, but want to hear opions on how everyone ranks whale watching among these: Kenai Fjords, Misty Fjords Flightseeing, White Pass & Yukon, and Mendenhall Glacier. This is our first cruise to AK. Do you think whlale watching is a must see?

I answered you elsewhere. Only you can decide. You have the accurate information via this board.

We went with Harv and Marv in Juneau in August - I really recommend them. Jay knows where the whales hang out. We saw 2 groups and one of the whales broke that 100 yard rule - we had to back away a bit. We weren't lucky enough to have one breach but I still got some good pics. And Jay's father in law - who drives the van that picks you up - drove us over to Mendenhall Glacier for about 20 minutes so I got some good shots there too.

Alaska is one of the better places to watch whales. I will do it again without a slight hesitation. The recommendation is to go with one of the tour operators in Juneau or Sitka. Another alternate approach, in my view, more rewarding approach, is to look for whales from the cruiseship. Bringing a wide angle binoculars is necessary, either 8x42, 10x42 or 10x50 is needed.

• 1 month later...

absolutely. i will be whale watching for the 3rd time with capt.larry in juneau next may and i cant wait. i must say seeing the glaciers is my number 1 reason for going to alaska but seeing the whales are my very strong 1st choice for a tour. so yes is my vote :D .

On OUR trip in Aug. 2007, we found out one of our stops was at Icy Strait Point so after some research on these boards,booked a trip with F.I.S.H.E.S. for 3 1/2 hours. The whales swim where THEY want to:) . We had one surface within about 20 ft. from our boat as another slightly bumped us as it swam under. We did try to stay far enough away from them.... There was a fishing boat out at the same time and it was quite a sight watching them quickly reeling their lines in as the pod swam towards them, around, and under them!! If going to New England or Hawaii, I would DEFINITELY try to book a whale watch there too as it was quite an experience and would love to see more whales!!

We would like to go whale watching when we book our cruise for 2010 but I am worried about motion sickness. Does the boat stop and stay in one place rocking or does it keep on moving. A few years ago in Virginia we went dolphin watching and the guy stopped the boat so we could watch the dolphins and we were rocking and I got so sick from the motion. That's why I was wondering if I would be able to handle whale watching without getting sick.

Combination of both. The boats are fast so they can get from one area to another quickly and not waste your time. The ride in the smaller boats is rather rough and choppy. Once they get to an area they will stop or move along at a few knots. They want to minimize disturbing the whales with engine and prop noise and also want you to be able to hear the whales breathing and splashing. Harv & Marv spent about 15-20 minutes stopped in 3 or 4 different spots.

You might want to email or call the companies with your concern...they will be honest about it since they want you to enjoy yourself and will probably have suggestions.

We used Harv & Marv in July and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We saw a lot of humpbacks from the cruise ship too, but compared to Harv & Marv it was sort of like seeing the Louvre from a helicopter.

Lol.. "it was sort of like seeing the Louvre from a helicopter".

Of course the scenery is fantastic and history fascinating but Alaska is one of the best wildlife viewing opportunities in the world--from your whales to sea otters to thousands of marine birds to brown bears it just goes on and on. We did a Best of Juneau tour with HAL and could not have been happier with the whale watching portion! Great service, saw humpbacks, sea lions, eagles and seals--all on a somewhat wet day, but the crew made it fun anyway. Can't expect SE Alaska not to have a few rainy days.

You didn't say if you would be stopping in Sitka but this is my favorite town ever in SE, of course. I moved there after visiting. We took Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest and totally enjoyed the close in feel of islands, sea otters, humpbacks, eagles, puffins (there is a national bird refuge in Sitka Sound), sea lions, seals and (beyond lucky) brown bear grazing on beach grass!

Don't miss taking a dedicated wildlife outing--what's the point otherwise.:)

Archived