Taking food off ship???

pokeypoke

On port days, has anyone ever gone to the buffet, made a plate, packed it in your backpack (or what ever), taken it off the ship and went to the beach or a park and had a lunch picnic?

We will be on the Dec. 6th sailing of the Star to Mexico and was trying to think of things we could do while in Puerto Vallarta. I know we want to do a city tour on our own by foot, and eat a nice dinner early in the evening. I then thought perhaps we could pack a lunch and have a light picnic along the way. Has anyone ever done this? Would it be "tacky" to take food off the ship to do this? What do you folks think?

Pokey

it's not tacky...but it is illegal in most ports.

sometimes you get a warning in the daily...sometimes you see big trash cans full of stuff people got caught with.

the general rule: no open food, especially fruits and veggies.

just have to be careful, some ports have BIG fines for any food being brought off the ship.

in some ports, you can bring those small cereal boxes...packaged food MIGHT be ok..but it depends on the rules of that country/port.

fruit.jpg.1c5204bf3fd3a251757ee55fbf9ae1fa.jpg

Pokeypoke: On our past ten cruises, including the last four on NCL, we have brought along foil and zip lock bags. We have two little soft side coolers. One on wheels, one just carryon. We order room service the night before and pack up our sandwhiches, some soda which we bring on board, and some cookies or little boxes of cereal etc. We have never seen signs about taking food off of the ships. We have done a lot of excursions on our own without having to buy lunch which is sometimes expensive (especially when we had our four kids with us). However, we never bring fruit on or off of the ship.

it's not tacky...but it is illegal in most ports.

sometimes you get a warning in the daily...sometimes you see big trash cans full of stuff people got caught with.

the general rule: no open food, especially fruits and veggies.

just have to be careful, some ports have BIG fines for any food being brought off the ship.

in some ports, you can bring those small cereal boxes...packaged food MIGHT be ok..but it depends on the rules of that country/port.

I guess I would be correct in assuming the opposite is true...bringing food ON the ship is a big no, no!?

many people buy snacks to bring back...should be no problem. but don't expect the california inspectors to allow you off the ship (in california) with it :D

it's just the problem with passing a infestation around, as to why no food off the ship. tried to do a search, there was a thread about people not even being able to bring coffee off the ship. some ports, you see big trash cans..they are there for a reason.

we bring those little peanut butter crackers, pack them in the luggage. they are factory wrapped and allowed in most ports (but some are strict about even that). some port officials could care less...

the food (from the ship) is loaded in the home port..hence foreign to the visiting ports.

I think it is the US that is the most strict with food being taken off the ship. We have done it in caribbean ports many times.

Happy Sails,

Bella

maybe in the Caribbean but not in Mexico. They have signs up as you leave the ship and they were checking when we got off the tenders both sailing NCL and Princess. All foods in backpacks or any other places were being conviscated and thrown away....

I suggest you do not try this.

Nita

You will not be allowed to take any food off the ship in Mexico. When we did the Mexican Riviera the ship made several announcements about this issue and it was printed in the dailies. There was a huge garbage pail at the disembarkation area filled with tons of fruit etc that all had to be thrown out. I guess folks hear what they want to hear. You can bring water off but not food.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I knew fruit would probably be an issue so I was not thinking of that, as far as taking food off the ship--thinking more along the lines of sandwiches, cookies, ect. Now that I think about it, I probably won't do the "picnic thing because I'd hate to have to throw away food if not allowed to take it off the ship:eek: .

Pokey

We've been bringing homemade "sanwiches" off the ship for day excursions for years, on virtually every line and almost every continent. We just pack a few meat/cheese/bread 'noshes' in ziploc bags we alsways bring along...NEVER a question. Now, I suppose a giant cooler on wheels...THAT might be a different story. (in fact, we usually end up eating the sandwiches en route to somewhere... then going for 'proper' local foods somewhere later in the day....)

We've been bringing homemade "sanwiches" off the ship for day excursions for years, on virtually every line and almost every continent. We just pack a few meat/cheese/bread 'noshes' in ziploc bags we alsways bring along...NEVER a question. Now, I suppose a giant cooler on wheels...THAT might be a different story. (in fact, we usually end up eating the sandwiches en route to somewhere... then going for 'proper' local foods somewhere later in the day....)

The only ports that ever made an issue of it were on the Mexican Riviera. We just came off a Med cruise and there was no such directive from NCL during the entire trip.

The only ports that ever made an issue of it were on the Mexican Riviera. We just came off a Med cruise and there was no such directive from NCL during the entire trip.

That was where we encountered it as well. I remember one cruise in So. Caribbean, we knew our tour would be most of the day and no lunch break so I grabbed a few rolls and some meat and cheese plus mustard from the breakfast buffet. It wasn't the most exciting lunch, but held us over til dinner at least.

Nita

Next time you're in the grocery store, look around near the canned tuna. There is an extensive line, various flavor/seasonings, of Tuna that come in sealed foil pouches. My fiance has found them ideal for when we're traveling. Since it is sealed, it shouldn't be a problem to take ashore. Similar pouches available with chicken.

Add crackers and bottled water and you've got a meal!

Nancy

I can personally attest that in Mexico they are strick about it. Last Nov we were on the Star on the Mexican Riv cruise and in P.V. and Cabo they had security checking bags for food being brought on shore. They were literally going through every one's bags. I usually always pack a piece of fruit and bottled water. The water was ok, but the fruit they took from me in Cabo. In P.V. I just threw it away in their trash can before they could take it from me. I knew you weren't supposed to bring food on shore unless it was in it's original packaging. I thought fruit would be concidered orginal packaging.. LOL.. stupid I know.. but that is what I thought.. I found out after Cabo of the infestation scare with fruit.

Just don't open these on an airplane. How could such a small packet emit such a strong smell LOL? I did't know people could give such dirty looks.

There is an extensive line, various flavor/seasonings, of Tuna that come in sealed foil pouches.

at the port in alcapolco..what looked like a mini

mart of confisated food item s was seen in the little

mall at the port..

they took a banana from my son s GF that same day :mad:

Not sure why you're angry that they followed their own laws. Considering where you live, you must have some knowledge of why this is so important. We're also in CA, on the central coast. We're dealing with trying to keep the glassy-winged sharpshooter out of our counties so that the disease it carries won't destroy many millions of dollars worth of wine grape vines. We lived in the bay area during the Med fly infestation and irradication. It was horrible for all of us who lived in the area and extremely expensive for the state.

Please everyone: Unless you know with certainty that it is allowed, do not try to bring fresh food of any kind off the ships. Most countries and islands (and even state by state and county by county in the US) have agricultural laws to protect their local ecosystem and agriculture. It is a huge deal to sneak something off the ship. Just because someone doesn't like the law/restrictions or thinks it's silly or might be slightly inconvenienced is no reason to show such disrespect for the places we visit by smuggling (and it is smuggling, unlike "sneaking" alcohol onboard, which is mostly against cruise line restrictions rather than the laws).

That said, at the ports where it is allowed to bring fresh food off the ship, do be sure to pack it in a cooler with plenty of ice so that it remains safe to eat. It's not tacky at all to do this. We enjoy trying the local cuisine where possible too.

beachchick

On port days, has anyone ever gone to the buffet, made a plate, packed it in your backpack (or what ever), taken it off the ship and went to the beach or a park and had a lunch picnic?

We will be on the Dec. 6th sailing of the Star to Mexico and was trying to think of things we could do while in Puerto Vallarta. I know we want to do a city tour on our own by foot, and eat a nice dinner early in the evening. I then thought perhaps we could pack a lunch and have a light picnic along the way. Has anyone ever done this? Would it be "tacky" to take food off the ship to do this? What do you folks think?

Pokey

Buy something onshore.

your thought is illegal, yes. Tacky, yes. The buffet is not a take out restaurant.

Those of you who were able to take food off, what ports did you visit? I am wondering if we could take soem with us in Alaska?

in alaska, we had our purses and bags searched as we left the ship. a big sign near the gangway. plus the warnings in the daily.

some has said it wasn't a problem, in alaska, but for us..it was the strictest i have seen.

Archived