Hilo Hatties and Walmart

CathyG

We are going to be in Kona on October 8th and I know that both Hilo Hatties and Walmart have free shuttles at the pier to both stores. My question is how far are they from the ship.

Also, where is the best (and cheapest) place to find chocolate covered macadamian nuts? I've read that Long's Drugs is suppose to be the place to go but would like other opinions.

Thanks,

Cathy G

Okay, there are these little shops on every corner called ABC, there just like a 7-11, Dairy Mart, or whatever. Stuff costs alot, avoid.

Believe it or not, you will not really find a deal in a touristy destination. Unless of course they are old and they want to get rid of.

Your best bet, is at Wall Mart, Hilo Hatties, is a place you will visit once and probably never go back. They seem to have everything.

We buy the tins of Macadamia nuts, in a case, I think it was 8 tins per box. Sorry I cannot remember how much I paid. Probably comparable to good Cashews.

Later

There is a Hilo Hatties in every port and not that far but I would not walk it in Maui. They are only about 15 minutes from Kahalui. Chocolate Macadamia nuts on sale each week at Long's or Walmart or even some supermarkets!

We are going to be in Kona on October 8th and I know that both Hilo Hatties and Walmart have free shuttles at the pier to both stores. My question is how far are they from the ship.

Also, where is the best (and cheapest) place to find chocolate covered macadamian nuts? I've read that Long's Drugs is suppose to be the place to go but would like other opinions.

Thanks,

Cathy G

Costco is better I think! Right at the very front of the store they had all the nuts. The savings is small. I think it was about 0.30/can. But now that I ran out I sure wishing I bought another 2 dozen :mad:

Thanks for the replies but can anyone tell me how long it takes to get to Walmart from the port?

Sue - thanks also for telling me where not to go. :D We'll certainly look into the tins. Sounds like that may be a good idea.

Cathy

Okay, there are these little shops on every corner called ABC, there just like a 7-11, Dairy Mart, or whatever. Stuff costs alot, avoid.

Maybe you are talking about the ABC stores that are found in Las Vegas?? :confused: Because in all of the ABC stores that I have been to on the islands, I have consistantly found good deals. I even order from them online a couple of times each year. You may find prices a little cheaper at Costco or Walmart.. but to say that it costs alot and to avoid it is misleading, IMO. :( They are some great kitchy things in these stores and are an experience of their own. :)

Thanks for the replies but can anyone tell me how long it takes to get to Walmart from the port?

Sue - thanks also for telling me where not to go. :D We'll certainly look into the tins. Sounds like that may be a good idea.

Cathy

Aloha Cathy!

Walmart is about 1.5 miles from the pier.

The Shuttle runs contionously from the per. "Most of the time." The Walmart has a hugh selection of just about everything. With loading and unloading and the stop lights, it probably takes about 15 minutes at most.

Hilo Hattis is about 8 blocks from the pier up a very steep hill! They have a nice selection of quality products. You can also step to the corner and get a great picture of your ship! The Walmart is up several very steep hills!

There is an ABC store at the pier and a General Whaler Store next to it. Kailua-Kona will be very busy on Oct 8 as the Ironman competetion takes place on Saturday, Oct 11.

Cathy

Aloha Cathy!

Walmart is about 1.5 miles from the pier.

The Shuttle runs contionously from the per. "Most of the time." The Walmart has a hugh selection of just about everything. With loading and unloading and the stop lights, it probably takes about 15 minutes at most.

Hilo Hattis is about 8 blocks from the pier up a very steep hill! They have a nice selection of quality products. You can also step to the corner and get a great picture of your ship! The Walmart is up several very steep hills!

There is an ABC store at the pier and a General Whaler Store next to it. Kailua-Kona will be very busy on Oct 8 as the Ironman competetion takes place on Saturday, Oct 11.

Archived