Fuel Surcharge

Magicat

Now that oil and gas prices are falling, when do you think we can see a reduction in the fuel surchage? Already we are seeing a reduction in the extra bag charge on Air Canada. Will Royal Caribbean reduce the fuel charge or is it really a "Cash Grab"?

Now that oil and gas prices are falling, when do you think we can see a reduction in the fuel surchage? Already we are seeing a reduction in the extra bag charge on Air Canada. Will Royal Caribbean reduce the fuel charge or is it really a "Cash Grab"?

Start looking for a reduction when pigs fly. It won't happen anytime in the near future.

came into being after oil hit $84.00 a barrel.

Gonna be awhile before any reduction or discontinuation occurs.

When did they increase it to $10.00 from $5.00? Should they not be slowly reducing it?

When did they increase it to $10.00 from $5.00? Should they not be slowly reducing it?

I was thinking the same thing....

I have the Liberty booked at $8.00 pp, booked just 9 day's prior to it changing to $10 bucks. Mariner (just booked today) at $10.00 pp. I WISH it would reduce sometime in the very near future :(

I was thinking the same thing....

I have the Liberty booked at $8.00 pp, booked just 9 day's prior to it changing to $10 bucks. Mariner (just booked today) at $10.00 pp. I WISH it would reduce sometime in the very near future :(

Im booked at $10 per day on Voyager too. It would be nice if it was reduced before I go next april, long time between now and then. Im not holding my breath, but from how fast they raised the fuel surcharges, they havent dropped them nearly as fast as oil is dropping below the $100 mark.

It would be nice to see them lower and then remove the surcharges, but knowing the companies and once they tasted the extra money comming in, i find it hard to believe that they will lower or remove it. Lets keep our fingers crossed that someone out there is thinking about us the cruisers.

I actually wrote to RCCL about something else and got into an exchange about the fuel surcharge. Their official position is the surcharge only coves a small portion of the fuel costs.

So the other posters are correct, you will never see it removed. Like many mail order companies found out years ago when they instituted shipping charges that were way above the actual shipping costs, they call it shipping and handling, no one complained or boycotted their business so now its something that we all accept. The same is becomming true of the fuel charge.

I really, really don't get. Why not just add it to the cost of the fare? And I don't buy that they want to be competitive with other lines. No two cruise lines charge the same for an identical crusie. We would never know the difference.

Just my two cents

I'd rather have the fuel surcharges than the unexpected itinerary changes. They have changed the itineraries on two of my upcoming cruises, one of which was very disappointing to me. I'd rather pay a fuel surcharge since that is a known quantity, than have them change the itinerary after I get all excited about going there! And, another thing, does it really save all that much to go to Cozumel from Costa Maya, instead of Belize? Come on!!!

I'd rather have the fuel surcharges than the unexpected itinerary changes. They have changed the itineraries on two of my upcoming cruises, one of which was very disappointing to me. I'd rather pay a fuel surcharge since that is a known quantity, than have them change the itinerary after I get all excited about going there! And, another thing, does it really save all that much to go to Cozumel from Costa Maya, instead of Belize? Come on!!!

I totally agree! I would much rather pay a little more for the same amenities as before. I don't like the idea of all the cost cutting going on. After my next cruise I'll know if I dislike it in action.... :cool:

I actually wrote to RCCL about something else and got into an exchange about the fuel surcharge. Their official position is the surcharge only coves a small portion of the fuel costs.

So the other posters are correct, you will never see it removed. Like many mail order companies found out years ago when they instituted shipping charges that were way above the actual shipping costs, they call it shipping and handling, no one complained or boycotted their business so now its something that we all accept. The same is becomming true of the fuel charge.

I really, really don't get. Why not just add it to the cost of the fare? And I don't buy that they want to be competitive with other lines. No two cruise lines charge the same for an identical crusie. We would never know the difference.

Just my two cents

What kind of line is that from RCI? Of course the surcharge only covers a small portion of the fuel costs. Fuel costs are factored into cruise prices. Fuel surcharges are not supposed to cover %100 of the cost of running the engines. I really would like to know who comes up with some of the answers at RCI, how much they are paid, and just how stupid they think the people are that they are talking to. RCI is a great cruise line but sometimes I rally have to shake my head....

Just my two cents

The reason they want to keep it as a surcharge is because it is non comissionable to travel agents. Should they add it to the basic cruise fare, they would have to pay more of a comission to agents.

If they added the surcharge to the fare price, people would complain even more about the high price of Royal Caribbean. Consumers are more willing to pay surcharges than higher fares. Look at the airlines, lots of taxes and fees go on top of the fare. If an airline raised their base fare instead of adding the surcharges, consumers would jump to another carrier where they saw a lower fare, even though the 2nd carrier may add the fees at the time of the transaction or at check in.

Not that I like the surcharge, mind you.

If they added the surcharge to the fare price, people would complain even more about the high price of Royal Caribbean. Consumers are more willing to pay surcharges than higher fares. Look at the airlines, lots of taxes and fees go on top of the fare. If an airline raised their base fare instead of adding the surcharges, consumers would jump to another carrier where they saw a lower fare, even though the 2nd carrier may add the fees at the time of the transaction or at check in.

Not that I like the surcharge, mind you.

So you don't think that most people are savy enough to know it is the bottom line that one has to look at?

So you don't think that most people are savy enough to know it is the bottom line that one has to look at?

It isn't really being savy as much as it is gut reaction. A few weeks ago NPR interviewed one of the airline marketing executives about all of the new fees. He admited that it would be far easier for the carriers to raise the base fare but thier experience is that the customers immediatley flock to another carrier. So they keep the fare where it was and tack on extra fees for baggage, re-ticketing, etc.

Another example, they recently switched our taxi cabs here from a zone system to meter system. There was outrage at the suggestion of a higher base fare, but no one seems to balk at a $1 fuel surcharge. I'm not sure why. Maybe because we all see the cost of fuel when we fill up our tanks and are more understanding.? It would be a good question for a psychologist or sociologist.

It isn't really being savy as much as it is gut reaction. A few weeks ago NPR interviewed one of the airline marketing executives about all of the new fees. He admited that it would be far easier for the carriers to raise the base fare but thier experience is that the customers immediatley flock to another carrier. So they keep the fare where it was and tack on extra fees for baggage, re-ticketing, etc.

Another example, they recently switched our taxi cabs here from a zone system to meter system. There was outrage at the suggestion of a higher base fare, but no one seems to balk at a $1 fuel surcharge. I'm not sure why. Maybe because we all see the cost of fuel when we fill up our tanks and are more understanding.? It would be a good question for a psychologist or sociologist.

I do understand what you are saying and I guess that gut reaction could be true. I just know that when a get an ad from Princess and the price looks a lot better than what I might be paying on RCI that I have to go through the booking process to find out what the real price of that Princess cruise is. Heck, most of the time the advertized price only applies to one week and it almost universally a week that I won't be leaving dry land.

Oil prices are still rather volatile, though definitely have shifted to trending downwards. What I would like to see is that if oil remains under $100 per barrel for 30 conseuctive days that RCL would then scale back (not do away with) their fuel surcharge.

We do have to remember that the cruise lines did take a long time to invoke the fuel surcharges (and once they did RCL had to reimburse many fuel surcharges because of pressure from the Florida Attorney General's Office over the manner in which they instituted the surcharges). Therefore we should also be patient with them scaling them back. Also, I know with gasoline the price has not come back down nearly as much on a percentage basis as oil has gone down. It is possible that Bunker Fuel also is slow to come down - so perhaps even though oil has dropped significantly since it's peak in July, the fuel prices may not have dropped as rapidly.

Hopefully oil keeps heading downwards as at some point I am confident the cruise line will cut back on the surcharge if this occurs and this also would be great for the overall economy and individuals as well. I am not too optimistic that oil will drop much further though.

Oil prices are still rather volatile, though definitely have shifted to trending downwards. What I would like to see is that if oil remains under $100 per barrel for 30 conseuctive days that RCL would then scale back (not do away with) their fuel surcharge.

We do have to remember that the cruise lines did take a long time to invoke the fuel surcharges (and once they did RCL had to reimburse many fuel surcharges because of pressure from the Florida Attorney General's Office over the manner in which they instituted the surcharges). Therefore we should also be patient with them scaling them back. Also, I know with gasoline the price has not come back down nearly as much on a percentage basis as oil has gone down. It is possible that Bunker Fuel also is slow to come down - so perhaps even though oil has dropped significantly since it's peak in July, the fuel prices may not have dropped as rapidly.

Hopefully oil keeps heading downwards as at some point I am confident the cruise line will cut back on the surcharge if this occurs and this also would be great for the overall economy and individuals as well. I am not too optimistic that oil will drop much further though.

Think positive GONZO

I have to agree. They keep cutting ports and shortening the length of time in ports. On our Adventure cruise coming up in January, we are now leaving Aruba at 6 pm instead of 8 pm. Why? Certianly not to save fuel. Perhaps to open the shops earlier.

My DW and I were doing the math and it seems that a land based all-inclusive with airfare is starting to look more and more attractive. Have to agree with everyone that RCI is great but....

On our Adventure cruise coming up in January, we are now leaving Aruba at 6 pm instead of 8 pm. Why? Certianly not to save fuel. Perhaps to open the shops earlier.

I have no inside knowledge, but it actually could be to save fuel. Be allowing two additional hours to get to the next port they will be able to go slower which saves fuel.

I have to agree. They keep cutting ports and shortening the length of time in ports. On our Adventure cruise coming up in January, we are now leaving Aruba at 6 pm instead of 8 pm. Why? Certianly not to save fuel. Perhaps to open the shops earlier.

My DW and I were doing the math and it seems that a land based all-inclusive with airfare is starting to look more and more attractive. Have to agree with everyone that RCI is great but....

Yes, we have also been changed to a 6PM departure from Aruba when we go in March. The last time we left at 8PM and before that it was midnight. Though I have to say I thought midnight was a bit overdoing it. Except for bars most everything in town closes way before that. I thought 8PM was a good time to leave.

Archived