Use of Walkie Talkies on board

wolf52

Does anyone have any experience using walkie talkies on board ship? :confused: Do they work when one person is in an inside cabin and the other person is on deck? Any recommedations?

Just wondering, before I actually make a purchase. Thanks!:)

We used them and most of the time they worked great. I think it depends on the power/range of the 2way radios.

We had a couple of channels we used, sometimes certain channels get crowded.

We will be using them again on our Nov cruise.

Does anyone have any experience using walkie talkies on board ship? :confused: Do they work when one person is in an inside cabin and the other person is on deck? Any recommedations?

Some of us would perfer you leave them in your cabin, and not use them at all.:eek:

My vote is they are a PITA. We came to conclusion that it's actually pretty easy to keep track of each other the old fashion way - tell someone where you're going. Another thing is there is nothing more agravating than having someone next to you yelling into one.....

We've never needed any mechanical means of "keeping track" of each other. We say where we'll be, and leave a note in the room if we will be elsewhere for any length of time. The ships are large, but not large enough to get totally lost on!

My vote is they are a PITA. We came to conclusion that it's actually pretty easy to keep track of each other the old fashion way - tell someone where you're going. Another thing is there is nothing more agravating than having someone next to you yelling into one.....

Some of us would perfer you leave them in your cabin, and not use them at all.:eek:

Believe me, I understand your feelings about them. I'm an early bird and my DH is not. I thought that if I had them, that he could notify me when he's up and ready for me to meet him for breakfast. That's all...I wouldn't use them all day.... Thanks for the input:)

We have a pair, and are also very considerate, and discreet about our use. We see far more cell phone etiquette issues on land, that we do walkie talkie issues at sea, that is for certain.

Most of the time we are together, but if I happen to be out on deck, I will find a sheltered, out of the way place, to use them, or if I'm ordering DW a drink at the bar, I will duck into an out of the way place, an use them on very low volume. You don't have to scream into them. They either work of they don't.. :)

For us the problem was when the kids don't answer, momma thinks they fell off the ship so we must go find them. So we stop what we are doing and head to the teens area (they were young teens) only to find them in a loud environment having a great time, EVERY TIME!

They do work but I see from a further post you clarified why you wanted to know. Buy good ones and you'll be fine or save your money and just plan a meeting point and you can wonder by every so often.

They do work good, depending on model. We use motorollas. I cant think of the model, but they have weather band.

anyway,, Some people will give you dirty looks.. Like you are annoying them on their 4th trip thru the buffet. I prefer to stand in the hallway at 3am screaming into them.. That is always fun.. Another fun time,, is get in a loaded elevator and start screaming at the top of your lungs into them. Always a good time.. Start talking about very personal things,, in great detail for all to hear..

No seriously.. they may or may not come in handy, and depending on if you can hear it or not..

A good feature is a set ringtone for notifying someone is trying to talk to you..

Have fun,,

I have a set that you can set on vibrate and when you are paged you flip it open like a cell phone and talk. No distracting conversation of the parties using them. You can use them like a walkie talkie also if you don't flip them open. Don't recall where I got them.

My LW and I have used them when we are on our own. We've used them in port with success and on the ship with limited success. I'm sure she would say that the BEST use we've had for them is on a sea day when my she is fighting for position in a ship laudromat. I'm usually working in the room and she'll contact me to let me know that she has stuff for me to carry back to the room and hang up.

Since we also carry other electronics (portable computer, dvd player, cell phone, etc.) remember that they take up space/weight both of which are at a premium in our present airline baggage for fee economy, here's what we think:

• If you'll be using them to keep track of children/teenagers, take them
  • If you'll be using them to keep track of each other when you're on your own in a place where neither of you speak the language, take them

They were extremely useful to us in port in Japan and SE Asia last year. This year, we're going to Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, and the Carribean. It's pretty much a toss-up whether we'll take them this time.

Hope this helps.

My LW and I have used them when we are on our own. We've used them in port with success and on the ship with limited success. I'm sure she would say that the BEST use we've had for them is on a sea day when my she is fighting for position in a ship laudromat. I'm usually working in the room and she'll contact me to let me know that she has stuff for me to carry back to the room and hang up.

Since we also carry other electronics (portable computer, dvd player, cell phone, etc.) remember that they take up space/weight both of which are at a premium in our present airline baggage for fee economy, here's what we think:

• If you'll be using them to keep track of children/teenagers, take them
  • If you'll be using them to keep track of each other when you're on your own in a place where neither of you speak the language, take them

They were extremely useful to us in port in Japan and SE Asia last year. This year, we're going to Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, and the Carribean. It's pretty much a toss-up whether we'll take them this time.

Hope this helps.

Please be aware that the radios you are using (generally FRS or CB) are illegal or controlled differently in the European Union. For more information here are two earlier threads about radio use

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=841597 post 22

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=768050 post 12

Rich

• 3 months later...

Archived