Iaowaots!!

Thread title = "I Am Overwhelmed With Acronyms On This Site!!"

Is it just me, or do people just go overboard (so to speak) with acronyms here? I have been an on-again off-again visitor to this site for quite a few years, and it seems like each time we have a new cruise planned, I have to wade through so many different acronyms that reading the forums is almost unpleasant.

As a DH I have to book a JS on RCL and get my TA to give me OBC, blah blah blah.

Does it take *that* much time to type these things out? It just seems like the site would be much friendlier toward casual users if we didn't have to pause with every sentence to figure out what we were reading! :)

Ok, I'm done now. IWGBTDSMCN (I Will Go Back To Doing Something More Constructive Now!)

Over the past year or so I figured out OBC, RCI, CCL, X, CC, TA, T/A, C&A, LA, Repo, maybe a few more. When referring to family I see DH, DW, DD, DS, DDIL, DSIL.... What is the first D? I get the husband, wife, daughter, son, etc. I don't know what the initial D is. I guess I'm still a newbie.

Over the past year or so I figured out OBC, RCI, CCL, X, CC, TA, T/A, C&A, LA, Repo, maybe a few more. When referring to family I see DH, DW, DD, DS, DDIL, DSIL.... What is the first D? I get the husband, wife, daughter, son, etc. I don't know what the initial D is. I guess I'm still a newbie.

"Dear" or "Darn" pending on your mood. :p

I don't think this site is that bad for acronyms. I get thrown on some other sites.

"Dear" or "Darn" pending on your mood. :p

I don't think this site is that bad for acronyms. I get thrown on some other sites.

OMG, TY. It has been bugging me for a year. You are a DF. (good mood).

Hey! What a surprise to see your name! (I mean, H!WASTSYN!)

Hello back at ya! I just took another look back through your Mexican Riviera photos to bring back the memories of that trip -- hard to believe it has been 4 1/2 years ago already!

Nothing to contribute to this other than to say "HI ALAN!!!!!" Miss you, man! :D

Hey! What a surprise to see your name! (I mean, H!WASTSYN!)

Hello back at ya! I just took another look back through your Mexican Riviera photos to bring back the memories of that trip -- hard to believe it has been 4 1/2 years ago already!

Crazy, huh? We ended up cancelling the Mariner cruise that we had booked with Mike... to hard for Pete to be gone during the summer and vacations too close with us going to Hawaii soon.

Guess what I am finally doing? Taking photography classes! I will never be as good as you, but one can strive - huh? :) I just started, so nothing to share. But I can finally take my Digital Rebel out of it's auto modes & actually USE it like it is meant to be used. :D

Wow -- good for you! I'm sure you'll enjoy the photography stuff -- I've gotten MANY more toys since the '04 cruise, and even had a shot published in Sports Illustrated/USA Today and TV spots as part of a Chevy commercial!

I'm quite jealous of the Hawaii trip -- that's the only state I have never visited!

Crazy, huh? We ended up cancelling the Mariner cruise that we had booked with Mike... to hard for Pete to be gone during the summer and vacations too close with us going to Hawaii soon.

Guess what I am finally doing? Taking photography classes! I will never be as good as you, but one can strive - huh? :) I just started, so nothing to share. But I can finally take my Digital Rebel out of it's auto modes & actually USE it like it is meant to be used. :D

Wow -- good for you! I'm sure you'll enjoy the photography stuff -- I've gotten MANY more toys since the '04 cruise, and even had a shot published in Sports Illustrated/USA Today and TV spots as part of a Chevy commercial!

I'm quite jealous of the Hawaii trip -- that's the only state I have never visited!

One of those new toys doesn't happen to be the new D90 does it? Now that is a nice piece of equipment!

Awesome on the spots! That is FABULOUS!!!!!

You have to get to Hawaii - it is a photographer's dream. I can't wait to go back and spend so much time. As much as I loved the cruise, I am looking forward to "living" the island for 9 whole days. Just found your shot.... love it!!

EDIT: I need a professional opinion, while I have you. If you were doing a wedding and could only use ONE lens - what would it be?

If you were doing a wedding and could only use ONE lens - what would it be?

canon 2.8 70-200 IS

to get back to the acronyms, I think it's time for new ones :)

the only one I like is "FLOG" because I can picture the person getting aggravated and wanting to actually flog the person they are responding to.

Instead they pound out for the love of god on the computer....lol

Much better than typing ARSOW?

At times, they can be a pita :D :cool:

###

ASAP = As soon as possible

ATM = At The Moment

AYT = Are you there?

BBL = Be Back Later

BF = Boy Friend

BIL = Brother in Law

BL = Belly laughing!

BRB = Be Right Back

BTW = By The Way

C&A = Crown and Anchor Society

CL = Concierge Lounge

DD = Dearest Daughter, Darling Daughter, etc

DF= Dear Fiance

DH = Dear Hubby (Or Husband) , Darling Hubby, Darn Hubby, Dumb Hubby, etc

DIKU = Do I know you?

DS = Dearest Son, Darling Son, etc

F2F = Face to face

FAO = For attention of

FAQ = Frequently asked question

FIL = Father in Law

FWIW = For what it’s worth

FYI = For Your Information

GF = Girl Friend

GMTA = Great Minds Think Alike

IM = Instant message

IMCO = In my considered opinion

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

IRL = In real life

ISO = In search of

JK = Just Kidding

LOL = Laughing Out Loud or Lots of Laughs

MIL = Mother in Law

OIC = Oh, I see!

OMG = Oh My Gosh!

OP + Original poster

OT = Off Topic

OTOH = On the other hand

PITA = Pain in the “acronym” (Use this if a board friend has gotten a little heavy handed with acronyms)

PITA = Pain In the A$$

POV = Point of View

PTMM = Please tell me more

ROFL or ROTFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing

ROFLMAO = Rolling on the Floor Laughing My A$$ Off

SIL = Sister in Law

SO = Significant Other

SU = Spousal Unit

TG = Thank Goodness

TGIF = Thank Goodness It's Friday!

TIA = Thanks in Advance

TMI = Too Much Information

TTYL = Talk To You Later

WB = Welcome Back

YMMV = Your miles may vary

Anyone notice how all the kids (I have a teenager ... and then some older ones) all talk using acronyms? GTG ... Jan

I'm not a kid and I do that - in my mind. I have thought to say "BRB" to people on the phone instead of saying be right back. :o

I call my Travel Agent a "TA" when I am talking to someone. Then I realize that they have NO idea what I am talking about. :eek:

And I use the terms "Sov" and "Indy" to talk about ships.

I prefer words to acronyms also. One of the members of a service group I belong to is former military (is there such a thing??) and she writes in jargon. Most things she writes for the newsletter I have to rewrite in English. :D

A few years ago I was working on a project that required I attend dozens of meetings with our Information Technology group. Early on I had to go and spend an entire day meeting with the various departments in the group. They have acronyms to refer to everything- departments, deragotory ones about other departments, servers, projects, systems, etc. It made my head spin. I never drink while travelling on business, but that night when I got on the plane to come home I asked for a big vodka martini!

My mother is trying to plane a family cruise next year. I'm going to use my CC acronyms to dazzle my neices and nephews, show them how their uncle can get down with the TXT.

Soooo... is there a way to contact people directly so we aren't having a side conversation within another conversation? I'm sure it's here somewhere, but I can't find a way to do it!

But to answer your questions, my latest toy is the Nikon D300, which I love, especially with the battery pack. I shoot Steelers games for a newspaper, and it's working out great for that.

As for the wedding question... someone had mentioned a 70-200, but you'd have to be reasonably far away from stuff to use that for a whole wedding. It's too tight for most stuff. Another "toy" I got earlier this year is a Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED (of course that doesn't help you too much, being a Canon person). I have nearly shot entire weddings with just the 17-55 on the camera.

Gotta run... I have a wedding to shoot this afternoon, as a matter of fact!

One of those new toys doesn't happen to be the new D90 does it? Now that is a nice piece of equipment!

Awesome on the spots! That is FABULOUS!!!!!

You have to get to Hawaii - it is a photographer's dream. I can't wait to go back and spend so much time. As much as I loved the cruise, I am looking forward to "living" the island for 9 whole days. Just found your shot.... love it!!

EDIT: I need a professional opinion, while I have you. If you were doing a wedding and could only use ONE lens - what would it be?

Thread title = "I Am Overwhelmed With Acronyms On This Site!!"

Is it just me, or do people just go overboard (so to speak) with acronyms here? I have been an on-again off-again visitor to this site for quite a few years, and it seems like each time we have a new cruise planned, I have to wade through so many different acronyms that reading the forums is almost unpleasant.

As a DH I have to book a JS on RCL and get my TA to give me OBC, blah blah blah.

Does it take *that* much time to type these things out? It just seems like the site would be much friendlier toward casual users if we didn't have to pause with every sentence to figure out what we were reading! :)

Ok, I'm done now. IWGBTDSMCN (I Will Go Back To Doing Something More Constructive Now!)

Yeah I'm tired of TLAs too

Archived