Sail Away Parties

Pompein

I remember sailing on RCL Song of Norway many moons ago as a very young adult and they had a great sail away party on deck with

confetti and streamers and a band playing as we sailed away on the first day. Will be on the 3 night Eurodam Bahamas cruise, is this still done or is it not environmentally PC anymore?

Can you bring your own and have your own private party on your balcony? Or is this frowned upon?

Thanks!

I haven't seen streamers on a cruise ship in YEARS!! No you should not bring your own for your balcony -- some could go over the railing and into the water -- not enviromentally good.

There is sailaway party after lifeboat drill -- usually at the aft pool. The HALCats will be there -- they will be selling special drinks -- a few games. Some are very nice.

We bring those little champagne plastic bottles that you pull the string and it pops with streamers popping out -- but you are right - don't let it fall into the water.

Don't know where the streamers tradition came from, but always liked seeing them connecting the shore and ship, then slowly breaking away as you lose the bonds of land.

While we can't do that today for many reasons, it is still great to have a little tradition at sail away. Bubbly on the balcony and streamers (as long as they don't go over the side)

After watching The Love Boat for years I always thought there would be streamer at the sailaway. Alas, there were none but in deference to the environment we were fine with it. We always have fun waving to everyone either staying behind or on another ship. How many of you had your CD tell you to yell at the ship next to you that they were on the wrong dam ship?

After watching The Love Boat for years I always thought there would be streamer at the sailaway. Alas, there were none but in deference to the environment we were fine with it. We always have fun waving to everyone either staying behind or on another ship. How many of you had your CD tell you to yell at the ship next to you that they were on the wrong dam ship?

None!!

We always seem to be the lasy ship to leave whatever port we are in.

is this still done or is it not environmentally PC anymore?

Can you bring your own and have your own private party on your balcony? Or is this frowned upon?

I don't think it has anything to do with being PC but about pollution! :rolleyes:

It's sad enough to be on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean and see garbage float by, no need to add to it needlessly.

I wondered about all of this on our first sailing in 2006. I know it is not environmentally correct, but I still love seeing the photos of past sailaways when all of the people would be on land waving away at the ships and those on the ships throwing streamers (in the mode of the Love Boat).

On our first sailing we were at the sailaway party by the aft pool and I looked toward the shore and noticed that we were moving...no big deal seemed to be made about it at all. I was expecting something special to go on but nothing...we just started going.

HAL has a "nothing overboard" policy. That means no confetti or streamers, cigarette butts, unruly passengers, running children, ...

We did have streamers and confetti for the Rotterdam Sailaway on Eurodam...

...but of course, that was a one-time/not-to-be-repeated event for that ship.

We had streamers on the Crown Princess transatlantic this spring -- but in the atrium as part of the last formal night/farewell gala/champagne fountain gig. It was festive in a cheesy kind of way, sort of like Times Square. (Best part was that it didn't pollute the ocean, and the crew cleaned it all up afterward!)

Caro

We had streamers on the Crown Princess transatlantic this spring -- but in the atrium as part of the last formal night/farewell gala/champagne fountain gig. It was festive in a cheesy kind of way, sort of like Times Square. (Best part was that it didn't pollute the ocean, and the crew cleaned it all up afterward!)

Caro

I like that idea!!

Cruising out of Ft lauderdale is really great.

As you pass the Condos on the port side of the ship right before you enter the Atlantic several of the Coondo owners will blow horns and flash their lights. HAL ships (and a couple of other cruise lines) will also sound their whistles in response.

Last time we cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale one of the home owners near the condos had a PA system. He had something to say to each ship as they cruised by. We were on the Zuiderdam and he told us the the food was wonderful. I could not believe how many people were in their backyards to see us off it was great.

My first "cruise" was going to England on the United States in the early 1950's and one of my memories is the streamers, a little paper horn (which my mother says I ate),etc. Fast forward to 1993 and my first vacation cruise and no streamers. I remember being a bit disappointed but certainly understand. Now HAL, and I think most lines, even have environmentally friendly things like bio degradation swizzle sticks (wood mostly). Somewhere I have some HAL plastic swizzle sticks but I think I collected those on the Ryndam in '94.

Archived